Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 36 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#3749 - 02/08/02 01:41 PM Cliff north of New Haven, CT?
jdw Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Connecticut
What is that cliff that is just north of New Haven Connecticut with the monument on it? Is there any good climbing on it? Is it open to climbing? I pass it on my way to Prime Climb and keep wondering about it.

Thanks,

JDW

#3750 - 02/08/02 02:49 PM Re: Cliff north of New Haven, CT? [Re: jdw]
Layback Offline
old hand

Loc: Monroe, WA
Yes. It's called West Rock. There will be info on it in Dave Fasulo's new guidebook, which is due out in the spring. See http://www.raggedmtn.org.

- Joe

#3751 - 02/08/02 07:40 PM Re: Cliff north of New Haven, CT? [Re: Layback]
John Peterson Offline

Loc: Gunnision, CO
Actually it's more likely you're looking at East Rock. Climbing is strictly forbidden there. You see West Rock coming in on 15 while East Rock is visable from I-91 and I-95.

John

#3752 - 02/08/02 08:21 PM Re: Cliff north of New Haven, CT? [Re: John Peterson]
jdw Offline
enthusiast

OK - must be East Rock, I see it from 95 south a couple of miles away to the north, then I get on 91 north and then it is visible to my left.

Is there any good climbing there? Just curious, definately won't go there if it is not allowed. Looks like there should be lots of good routes.

Thanks,

JDW

#3753 - 02/09/02 01:48 AM Re: Cliff north of New Haven, CT? [Re: jdw]
John Peterson Offline

New Haven has kept East Rock closed to climbing since the 30's. Although the cliff looks very appealing, it is not as steep as other traprock areas and would not have the difficult climbs found at Ragged or East Peak. The primary safety issue is that there is an extensive walkway system right at the edge of the cliff as well as a road just below. Periodic attempts have been made to open it up but so far with no success.
On the other hand, West Rock has plenty of climbing and some enthusiastic climbing rangers.

John

#3754 - 02/09/02 11:00 PM Re: Cliff north of New Haven, CT? [Re: John Peterson]
jdw Offline
enthusiast

John,

Thanks for the interesting information. Currently I'm hooked on Ragged and Pinnacle for now, maybe I'll give West Rock a try this summer.

Let's hope for another warm couple of days like two weeks ago....

See ya out there,

JDW

#3755 - 02/09/02 11:08 PM Re: Cliff north of New Haven, CT? [Re: jdw]
John Peterson Offline

We were out at Whitestone today. Great place & very interesting rock. The place stays in the sun all day long and we were really warm. Not even a jacket most of the day. One of the best crags in the state on cold sunny days. You should check it out!

John

Moderator:  andrew, Mike Rawdon 
Sponsored