Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 5 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#37653 - 06/06/08 06:18 PM Re: Z pulleys, mechanical advantage, and friction [Re: Smike]
talus Offline
veteran

Originally Posted By: Smike
[Out of office reply: Too much babble to read. Gone climbing]

yes but you have to learn how to first

#37657 - 06/06/08 07:03 PM Re: Z pulleys, mechanical advantage, and friction [Re: talus]
Dillbag Offline
old hand

Loc: "The Town"
Uh... Smike aren't you still in your office right now?

#37673 - 06/08/08 03:57 AM Re: Z pulleys, mechanical advantage, and friction [Re: Dillbag]
rg@ofmc Online   content
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Poughkeepsie, NY
 Originally Posted By: Kent
I bring this up to you Rich, because, if what is left of the gunks.com community has a patriarch, it's you, and I think you are potentially doing a disservice to your fans and mentees by discouraging them from learning about and practicing these important ropecraft skills.

Yikes, a patriarch? Does this mean I have to be really careful about everything I say? Can't I just be a schmuck please?

As for doing a disservice, this is certainly be the last thing I would want, patriarch or schmuck. I think that raising techniques have been over- rather than undersold, and people can get into bad trouble, or at the very least waste a tremendous amount of time, if they try raising before, say, lowering. Surely raising was not the appropriate first choice for the leader in the High E situation, and his building of a z-pulley, whatever his intent, was part of his complete ineffectiveness in dealing with the situation.

On the other hand, if one understands clearly the limitations one faces, it certainly seems to me to be a good idea to know how to build a 3:1 and especially a 5:1 pulley. It should be clear from my comments that I have bothered to learn how to do these things and have at least put in some minimal practice, and I would urge everyone to do the same.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored