Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 12 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#3770 - 02/14/02 05:59 PM Yosemite in March
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi,

I am probably going to be in Sacramento in the middle of March. Can anyone tell me if you can even get into Yosemite at that time of year. I'm thinking the Valley may be accessible. Will it be worth the trip for climbing?

Also, is there anything I should hit if I can't get to Yosemite?? I don't know much about that area.

Thanks!!!

#3771 - 02/14/02 08:11 PM Re: Yosemite in March
Vlad Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Mountain View, CA
The valley accessable year round. All slouth facing stuff by the cliff bases must be fine. Also think Cooke and Arch, and Riad's pinnacle area. Cooke and Arch are lower then Valley, and wormer. I think it should be dry and warm already, but for weekend we got storms, so I go skiing.
Lake Tahoe climbs will be wet, as it snowed a lot this year, but Lover's Leap may be a good early season option.
You may also be interested in some 108 highway basalt climbs , like Table mountain stuff. It is in Sonora Highway Clibms book you can find in almost any climbing store or gym here or e-order from REI. You can climb there now, just make sure it did not rain the last couple days.

#3772 - 02/15/02 12:28 AM Re: Yosemite in March
Frank Florence Online   content
addict

Loc: moved to Bend
Vlad's right. I've been snowed out of the Valley in March, but it could just as well be warm and sunny when you get out there. Better to bring your gear, call ahead, and maybe squeeze in a few good days. Short routes above Sunnyside and around Church Bowl area can be in good shape even when other places are wet or snowy.

#3773 - 02/15/02 06:12 PM Re: Yosemite in March [Re: Frank Florence]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the info. It sounds like there is some hope, so I'm going to take my chances and see what happens. Yosemite is a cool place even if you can't get on some rock!

Thanks.

#3774 - 02/15/02 10:02 PM Re: Yosemite in March
Anonymous
Unregistered

Closer to Sac., Sugarloaf or possibly Phantom Spires is a much better option in March than Lover's Leap. LL is a terrific place, but almost never in March -- north facing, cold with snow at the base.

South facing walls in Yosemite are climbable in March -- even an hour or two after a rain storm.

-Bob

#3775 - 02/19/02 12:59 PM Re: Yosemite in March
Chas Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Flagstaff
Vlads suggestions are good but also want to add Pat and Jack. If you are not up for Cookie (which has a warmup of 5.10b [Outer Limits] or 5.10a [Beverlys Tower]) then P & G has a few moderates (5.8's).

Moderator:  andrew, Mike Rawdon 
Sponsored