Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 16 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#38087 - 06/28/08 11:06 PM Minnewaska Master Plan
Mike Rawdon Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Poughkeepsie
It seems to me that this forum might be a good place/means for the greater Gunks climbing community to vet the GCC's input on the Master Plan. (see thread in General forum)

I vote for a very clear request for the prompt opening of additional terrain for rock and ice climbing. Our years of Chalk Cleanups-R-Us should buy us an ear in Albany.

But how does Albany dictate to the PIPC?

#38115 - 06/30/08 01:27 PM Re: Minnewaska Master Plan [Re: Mike Rawdon]
phlan Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Gardiner, NY
I don't think Albany dictates anything to PIPC which is an interstate agency.
It works by inter-agency cooperation in addition to recreational user input, municipality input, the ridge coalition etc. we have developed a very good relationship with park management and that helps too. p'kill is a good model for success in other areas.
we will be drafting our input for inclusion and your comments are welcome. keep in mind the deadline of August 11. send your own comments in or we will draft a letter that you can copy and send.
at this point we were looking at high peterskill, ham. point, gert. nose, and stony kill falls, that's not necessarily all. possibly more if they make sense. might make sense to include all we can in case some are shot down.

#38120 - 06/30/08 04:13 PM Re: Minnewaska Master Plan [Re: phlan]
pedestrian Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: a heavily fortified bunker!
Various members of the GRIP coalition in Gardiner have commented in the past that Gardiner gets all the downside of climbers' presence and none of the economic upside. On the other hand, expect Gardiner people to stand up and say "we don't want another parking lot here, it'll create a traffic problem." Someone maybe should attend a town meeting or two, when the timing is right, and point out that although traffic is a problem, it could bring more money to town businesses.

#38134 - 06/30/08 07:30 PM Re: Minnewaska Master Plan [Re: pedestrian]
Smike Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: in your backyard
 Originally Posted By: pedestrian
Various members of the GRIP coalition in Gardiner have commented in the past that Gardiner gets all the downside of climbers' presence and none of the economic upside. On the other hand, expect Gardiner people to stand up and say "we don't want another parking lot here, it'll create a traffic problem." Someone maybe should attend a town meeting or two, when the timing is right, and point out that although traffic is a problem, it could bring more money to town businesses.

I think the town of Gardiner does not want either. If they wanted torisum dollars, then you would think they would take some actions towards giving outsiders a reason to spend money in the town. Outside of the really good Market deli on Rt 55/44 in the center of town, there is hardly any reason for any visting climber / receactionist to spend money.

Edited by Smike (06/30/08 07:34 PM)

#38136 - 06/30/08 07:42 PM Re: Minnewaska Master Plan [Re: Smike]
pedestrian Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: a heavily fortified bunker!
There's a nice steak house on the corner of 32 (or is it 208? I forget) and 44/55, and the Red Rooster Cafe is quite nice. The Brauhaus is in Gardiner. I haven't eaten at the other couple of restaurants, like Pasquale's...

#38139 - 06/30/08 07:54 PM Re: Minnewaska Master Plan [Re: pedestrian]
Smike Offline
Carpal Tunnel

"The Brauhaus is in Gardiner"

doh... forgot, that is a great reason to spend coin.

#38144 - 06/30/08 08:08 PM Re: Minnewaska Master Plan [Re: Smike]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
I would recommend ice climbing access be addressed. Perhaps Smike would have some good input on that, as he is now a local Gardiner type. There are a number of climbers living in Gardiner now who could make a nice presence at the town meetings. I don't believe they are looking for outsider input or one of the meetings would have been on a weekend.

#38146 - 06/30/08 08:24 PM Re: Minnewaska Master Plan [Re: chip]
Smike Offline
Carpal Tunnel

"now a local Gardiner type"

Nope….. I'm on the other side the ridge. I try to stay outta of that messy Gardiner stuff, and the high taxes too…

#38147 - 06/30/08 08:39 PM Re: Minnewaska Master Plan [Re: Smike]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
Sorry Smike, I was trying to be a bit tonque-in-cheek, since I knew it was unlikely you could get up there for a meeting. I quess I was thinking more in terms of your knowledge of ice in the gunks and access in other areas. Most initiatives involving any group or bureaucracy are accomplished by a champion for the cause and I think of you as the potential champion for ice in the gunks.

#38192 - 07/02/08 03:45 PM Re: Minnewaska Master Plan [Re: chip]
wombat Offline

Loc: gardiner
the primary thing that would increase Gardiner's touron dollar return would be an exit 17.5, which i would hate to see. its just far easier for the bulk of people to come through NP when coming from pretty much anywhere not here.

would love better ice access but would actually love to have some ice even more. need to reverse this whole global warming thingy though, which is a little beyond scope for this thread.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Jannette, phlan, webmaster 
Sponsored