Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 11 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#37730 - 06/11/08 02:54 PM MUA News
calamity Offline
stranger

------------

The DEC will publish a plan later this year that will likely include its intention to close camping at the MUA, according to recent personal communication with DEC's New Paltz office.

The "Shawangunk Ridge Unit Management Plan" will be published in about six months. Assuming the American Alpine Club campground is deemed ready for development by then, the plan will formally outline the state's intention to close MUA concurrently with AAC opening.

The unit management plan, which includes various other DEC properties, had been expected this spring, but publication is said to have been delayed by several unrelated real estate acquisitions.

Pressure to close the MUA is coming from the Shawangunk Ridge Partnership, which includes particularly, the Mohonk Preserve and DEC and PIPC, as well as several other organizations.

I note that MP and PIPC are, of course, partners with the American Alpine Club in the new campground.

From the press release of 5/07 on the plan's development:

DEC is currently accepting written input during the development of the draft UMP. For further information or to submit written input, please contact: Ethan M. Pierce, Natural Resources Planner, NYS DEC Region 3, 21 South Putt Corners Road, New Paltz, NY 12561 or call (845) 256-3074.

The 5/07 DEC release, which doesn't include latest MUA news, is found here:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/press/33813.html

American Alpine Club release from 18 months ago:

http://www.americanalpineclub.org/pdfs/0...2shawangunks%22

#38070 - 06/27/08 05:44 PM Re: MUA News [Re: calamity]
calamity Offline
stranger

Don't all chime in at once.

A member of this forum tells me privately that my information is "incorrect."

He tells me there is no plan for MUA. He's absolutely right about that. The plan gets published in about six months from now, and currently does not exist.

All I posted was what a genuinely informed person at New Paltz DEC told me, openly, on the phone.

The new campground will suck about (mebbe let's say) $200,000 a year from the climbers who currently use the MUA, which was (obviously) acquired and is supported with taxes.

The new campground will also be closed for most of the year, and turn people away when the 50 sites are fully reserved. Will there be an 800 number? An annual lottery for reservations? Wet nurses on staff?

#38075 - 06/27/08 06:37 PM Re: MUA News [Re: calamity]
Smike Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: in your backyard
All I’m at liberty to say regarding this (or want to) is write to the address above and make you presence known to the DEC that you wish that the DEC Multiple Use Area on Rt299 be continued as a campground.

As far as ‘Wet nurses on staff’ I have no comment. \:\/

Mike

#38089 - 06/29/08 01:36 AM Re: MUA News [Re: Smike]
calamity Offline
stranger

So is it fair to say that the "regulars" on this board don't rely in any way on camping in the Gunks?

I wonder how many people actually do...Too bad there is no simple way to reach them....

#38093 - 06/29/08 12:50 PM Re: MUA News [Re: calamity]
Dillbag Offline
old hand

Loc: "The Town"
Perhaps the GCC or another group, could set up a polling station at the bridge a couple mornings...

That would be fairly simple, and also could be used as a membership drive...

#38098 - 06/29/08 04:05 PM Re: MUA News [Re: calamity]
Smike Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: in your backyard
 Originally Posted By: calamity
So is it fair to say that the "regulars" on this board don't rely in any way on camping in the Gunks?

I wonder how many people actually do...Too bad there is no simple way to reach them....

I used the MUA for many years, I don't anymore, but I fully support it to remain open to camping.

#38099 - 06/29/08 05:35 PM Re: MUA News [Re: Smike]
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Smike

I used the MUA for many years, I don't anymore, but I fully support it to remain open to camping.

I don't rely on camping in the Gunks because
1. long time partners and friends now have a house there
2. I moved to Utah in late 2000 and haven't been back since

When I was climbing in the Gunks, I never used the MUA - a noisy, garbage filled rat hole with drum circles until 4am at the time - I car camped on the Wawarsing Turnpike along with everyone else until it became Visitor Center and day parking. By then my friends had their house out near Tilson Lake.

That said, I fully support the MUA remaining open to camping. Having a free camping area was critical to my development as a climber while I was in college. I suspect even more so now with the prospect of $5/gal gas.

#38100 - 06/29/08 07:12 PM Re: MUA News [Re: calamity]
GOclimb Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Boston

I do, but I'm moving to CO in August, so while I'll support them, it's somebody else's fight to lead.

GO

#38221 - 07/03/08 06:27 AM Re: MUA News [Re: GOclimb]
calamity Offline
stranger

Don't you find it odd that Gunks Climbing Coalition is so silent on this issue?

It's such a glaring opportunity for them to gain long-term credibility and membership, and the timing is so ripe.

Yet one hears nothing.

Same from the "Access Fund" local representative. Perhaps an analogous and certainly unfortunate state of affairs.

MUA users have nobody to represent their interests, which are about to be trampled in the dirt, by a formidable array of political groups including the DEC, the Mohonk Preserve, the American Alpine Club, et alia.

#38225 - 07/03/08 01:58 PM Re: MUA News [Re: calamity]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
I can't speak for the GCC, but sometimes you need to pick your battles. This may or may not be a change that can be influenced by public opinion. Keep in mind that these are volunteers who are trying to act in everyones best interest while doing it on time they would rather spend climbing or with family. I have been in several positions, such as liason to the Olympic Committee, where I had no support, no chance of changing anything, and got to pay for all of my expenses out of my pocket. I can't blame anyone in that position for any effort they may or may not expend.
That said, I enjoy crashing in the MUA at times but usually during the colder months when few others are there.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored