Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 18 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#38228 - 07/03/08 03:00 PM Re: MUA News [Re: chip]
Terrie Offline
enthusiast

No, I don't find it odd. But I do think that, as I have suggested on other forums, you seemed to feel an urge to be an activist for this cause. That's great - but it will take a lot more than a few postings on a website to further your cause. It's YOU who feels strongly and so it is YOU who must take action.

Have you made efforts to contact any of the people who represent those who you say have remained silent? Putting up a post on a discussion forum is a pretty passive effort, so far as activism is concerned.

#38230 - 07/03/08 03:54 PM Re: MUA News [Re: chip]
Julie Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: SoCal
 Originally Posted By: chip
I can't speak for the GCC, but sometimes you need to pick your battles.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

#38251 - 07/04/08 06:20 AM Re: MUA News [Re: Julie]
calamity Offline
stranger

GCC has some potential to benefit all Gunks climbers over the long term.

Its credibility and effectiveness could gain from higher membership.

The GCC has 100+ potential members waiting for them at MUA every weekend evening this summer at MUA. The total number is perhaps in the thousands.

Obviously there are political and strategic issues here that are simply beyond our ken.

Calling Karl Rove!!!

-------------

#38299 - 07/07/08 04:35 PM Re: MUA News [Re: calamity]
nerdom Offline
Pooh-Bah *

Loc: Davis Sq., MA
Late to the party, but I for one would hate to see the MUA closed to camping. Legions of climbers from near and far have been camping there for as long as I've been going to the Gunks (8+ years or so). It would be an utter shame to lose it. And for what? Maybe we need to ask ourselves that? Could it be because of the private dwelling that was put right behind the area a few years back? And if the MUA is closed, what impact will that have on that gentleman's property value? I would hazard a guess that this person is politically connected and stands to benefit greatly from the MUA's closure.

This I know - it is FAR easier to prevent a closure than it would be to re-open it after it's closed.

I know the GCC ain't no SCC (they've had an amazing string of successes), but this seems like a very winnable battle should they devote some resources to it. Pick your battles, my ass. I and many others I know would be far more likely to continue camping at the MUA than climbing some remote 40-foot cliff in Minnewaska. I would be happy to devote some money to the GCC for the MUA cause. If they don't take it up, then I won't support the GCC in the future.

#38301 - 07/07/08 04:58 PM Re: MUA News [Re: nerdom]
Coppertone Offline
old hand

Loc: Newtown, CT
Close it down and send them all off the the Yogi Bear Campground.

#38307 - 07/07/08 09:09 PM Re: MUA News [Re: Coppertone]
Bolt_Skytop Offline
addict

Loc: New Paltz, New York
Yo, Evan and I stayed at Yogi Bear Campground one night 7 years ago. It was awesome. Flat soft grass, level spots, clean bathrooms, hot showers, and BooBoo greeting our hungover asses in the morning. Like I said awesome!

#38308 - 07/07/08 09:19 PM Re: MUA News [Re: Bolt_Skytop]
Coppertone Offline
old hand

Loc: Newtown, CT
 Originally Posted By: Bolt_Skytop
Yo, Evan and I stayed at Yogi Bear Campground one night 7 years ago. It was awesome. Flat soft grass, level spots, clean bathrooms, hot showers, and BooBoo greeting our hungover asses in the morning. Like I said awesome!

Did BooBoo try and get into your food or did you have a bear canister.

Edited by Coppertone (07/07/08 09:19 PM)

#38309 - 07/07/08 09:19 PM Re: MUA News [Re: Bolt_Skytop]
Smike Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: in your backyard

Ya all for a measly $40 clams a night.

#38311 - 07/07/08 10:42 PM Re: MUA News [Re: Bolt_Skytop]
Dillbag Offline
old hand

Loc: "The Town"
BooBoo greeting our...asses in the morning.

Ummm... is the awkwardness of this experience what prompted you never to return over 7 years?

#38318 - 07/08/08 10:08 AM Re: MUA News [Re: Dillbag]
empicard Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: LI, NY

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored