Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 10 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#38598 - 07/22/08 07:16 PM Re: New to Gunks (US) [Re: chip]
browndog2 Offline
old hand

Loc: livin' on the edge
What Chip means is he would wave his ice tools around menacingly and shoo away the wooly mammoths from the Pleistocene glacial edges and have at it. Back in the day that is. When men were men, sheep were nervous, and 5.8 went at A0.

#38602 - 07/23/08 04:00 AM Re: New to Gunks (US) [Re: alpinethrills]
Zarrar Offline
stranger

Wow, thats a lot of feedback

Thanks alot! Im excited, also going to be buying new shoes and a harness, I'll ask arnd the gym but if you all know a good place to get gear arnd cornell let me know...

Originally Posted By: alpinethrills
It's $10/semester to be a member, and that's the only expense (we even have all gear). Just show up at a meeting, which are every Tuesday at 7:30 in Japes Lodge which is just on North Campus next to BeeBe Lake, by the foot bridge.

Alpinethrills, im assuming the gear will be for rent? maybe it'll be a good idea to rent different gear and find stuff that is comfortable and a good fit, then buy new stuff. The group meets every tuesday to discuss trips and all huh. Thats cool, I'll have to find a beginner partner, before I head out with a group like the outing club cuz i bet the people going to the gunks are probably pretty experienced.

#38603 - 07/23/08 12:07 PM Re: New to Gunks (US) [Re: Zarrar]
alpinethrills Offline
stranger

Zarrar, the gear with the outing club is not actually for rent. Once you become a club member ($10/semester for grad students), all gear is 100% free for use on club trips (and actually is only for use on club trips). So if you go on a beginner trip with the club and you need harness, helmet, shoes, belay device, biners, etc., all of that is free. As far as finding a beginner-level partner, the beginner trips the club takes out are frequently centered toward people with no or little experience climbing, so you would not be the least experienced by any means.

#38610 - 07/23/08 04:14 PM Re: New to Gunks (US) [Re: alpinethrills]
Zarrar Offline
stranger

sweet, sounds good to me

thnx for the guidance Alpine,

I appreciate it

#38673 - 07/25/08 01:19 PM Re: New to Gunks (US) [Re: browndog2]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
 Originally Posted By: browndog2
What Chip means is he would wave his ice tools around menacingly and shoo away the wooly mammoths from the Pleistocene glacial edges and have at it. Back in the day that is. When men were men, sheep were nervous, and 5.8 went at A0.

Well, we had to wait a bit for the land to rebound from the glacial mass before most of this stuff was doable. Thankfully, the glaciers also helped cool the rock faster so we could have at it during the warmer months. That's when we started grinding serrations into the saberteeth we used as ice tools. (Sigh), I miss the taste of mammoth. I don't remember any sheep around yet for some time, but then things got pretty heady.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored