Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 9 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 4 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 15 16 >
Topic Options
#39091 - 08/14/08 02:15 AM Re: new guidebook in August? [Re: rg@ofmc]
tradgunkie Offline

Originally Posted By: rg@ofmc
They did explain to me what they are trying to do, but I think either they if they choose to or else their guidebook when it comes out should do the talking.

Well said. Let's let the guidebook do the talking. As a first edition, there are bound to be typos and errors. Not everyone can be Dick Williams, and as anyone can see from the approach of the new book, Zach and Rachel aren't trying to be.

I'm assuming that they're trying to appeal to the new generation of climbers as well as visiting climbers looking for select routes to make the most of their time here.

Dick Williams has hinted that the Near Trapps guide will be the last guidebook that he writes for the Gunks.

The question I'd like to ask is who is going to publish the next generation of guides? Could this be the duo we're looking at? I don't know, but at least they're giving it a go.

#39093 - 08/14/08 04:08 AM Re: new guidebook in August? [Re: tradgunkie]
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: tradgunkie
Let's let the guidebook do the talking. As a first edition, there are bound to be typos and errors. Not everyone can be Dick Williams, and as anyone can see from the approach of the new book, Zach and Rachel aren't trying to be.

Yeah, but getting the second pitch of a well documented route not a little bit incorrect but totally and completely wrong is a lot more than just some "typos and errors". If they can't get Snooky's correct in both words and photograph, what of other routes that are popular but a bit devious in where they go?

#39096 - 08/14/08 11:27 AM Re: new guidebook in August? [Re: tradgunkie]
talus Offline
veteran

Originally Posted By: tradgunkie

I'm assuming that they're trying to appeal to the new generation of climbers as well as visiting climbers looking for select routes to make the most of their time here.

DAB

#39101 - 08/14/08 02:04 PM Re: new guidebook in August? [Re: MarcC]
tradgunkie Offline

Originally Posted By: MarcC
If they can't get Snooky's correct in both words and photograph, what of other routes that are popular but a bit devious in where they go?

We should know by this weekend.

#39109 - 08/14/08 06:30 PM Re: new guidebook in August? [Re: tradgunkie]
RangerRob Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ulster County, NY
Heaven forbid someone should have to....(shriek!!!).....take responsibility for their own climbing actions!!! PLEASE....say it isn't so!!!! What are we going to do if the guidebook is wrong? How can we possibly climb with inaccurate information?? Oh the horror...the HORROR!!!!

RR

#39112 - 08/14/08 08:09 PM Re: new guidebook in August? [Re: budman]
d-elvis Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Central PA
I for one, think the new guide should have GPS coordinates for each hold

#39113 - 08/14/08 08:12 PM Re: new guidebook in August? [Re: RangerRob]
Smike Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: in your backyard
 Originally Posted By: RangerRob
How can we possibly climb with inaccurate information?? Oh the horror...the HORROR!!!!

RR
'

How? You should be able to answer that, when you look up at the leader armed with nothing but Gold Camelot’s for the ….um…Red size crack for last 40’ of the pitch. “ all it takes it Gold dude, don’t need nothing else….leave those Red’s on the ground”

#39116 - 08/15/08 03:49 AM Re: new guidebook in August? [Re: RangerRob]
rg@ofmc Online   content
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Poughkeepsie, NY
Heaven forbid someone should have to....(shriek!!!).....take responsibility for their own climbing actions!!! PLEASE....say it isn't so!!!! What are we going to do if the guidebook is wrong? How can we possibly climb with inaccurate information?? Oh the horror...the HORROR!!!!

All the exclamations, capitalized pleading, and multiple punctuation marks can't hide the irrelevance of this mock consternation to the issue of guidebook accuracy. Yes, climbers are responsible, ultimately, for finding their own way. But someone who proposes to guide them in this endeavor also has a responsibility to provide good information, and certainly can't excuse gross failures of accuracy by appealing to this sort of misdirection.

#39117 - 08/15/08 10:59 AM Re: new guidebook in August? [Re: RangerRob]
talus Offline
veteran

RR

maybe this guide will have better beta for tough shift

#39118 - 08/15/08 12:35 PM Re: new guidebook in August? [Re: rg@ofmc]
mworking Offline
old hand

Well stated (RG).

It’s one thing to head up into the unknown. It is another to head up a route described as in your guide book 5.8G and find your self in 5.10 territory. This isn’t to say that climber should not shoulder responsibility for what they do. I think most of us expect to get off route once in a while and have to recover despite having a good guide book.

What I am ask and answer is what good is guide book if it is inaccurate. None. It’s a waste and an inconvenience at best. Guess if we want to use a guide book then it is our first responsibility to learn what ones are good. I like this thread because it will help others do that and support those who put effort into providing a quality product.

Page 4 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 15 16 >

Moderator:  Mike Rawdon, Steven Cherry 
Sponsored