Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (SethG), 4 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#3932 - 03/14/02 02:05 PM Re:
Edgy Offline
enthusiast

Hey oldfatguy,

As we've discussed and discussed, ad nauseam, (see the seemingly never ending thread on definition of sport climbing...) the Gunks is a "semi-" area. It's only "semi-"trad, and the "secret" areas are only "semi-" secret.

There's a bunch of other examples. For instance:

I found Lost City the first time I went there...how "lost" is that??? A lot of people have been looking for the "Lost Island of Atlantis," for years...No one's found it, yet. Now, that's what I call "lost." That's why it's only "semi-"Lost City.

edgy "who's going bouldering at a really "secret" area this afternoon.....( and no, I won't be posting it's location on any internet board....)"

#3933 - 03/14/02 02:36 PM Re: LOST CITY [Re: Edgy]
d-elvis Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Central PA
Picture of Climber climbing at Lost City

Attachments
36591-lostcity.jpg (320 downloads)

#3934 - 03/14/02 04:07 PM Re: LOST CITY [Re: d-elvis]
ryanclan Offline
addict

Loc: NoCal
Nice shot.....I think that's Pencil, eh? Just as you walk into the corridor.

Oh, dreaming of those rock days..

Kathy

#3935 - 03/14/02 08:04 PM Re: LOST CITY [Re: ryanclan]
d-elvis Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Central PA
Got "lost" and found it

#3936 - 03/15/02 02:35 PM Re: [Re: Edgy]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey edgy. uh, yea.. I got that. I'm saying the same thing. The point I was trying to raise was, it's not even semi. Don't think there should be class (they came in a school bus) at lost city.

#3937 - 03/15/02 06:43 PM Re:
LesterLeBlanc Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Los Angeles
Guiding at Lost City? Another issue the Shawangunks Climbers Coalition could address!

Okay, I'm going away now ...

: )

#3938 - 03/15/02 11:40 PM Semi, Secret, and Lost [Re: Edgy]
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Edgy and Oldfatguy,
You still seem to be hung up on LC being a "secret" or "semi secret" area. It isn't either of those! It's location was given as far back as Williams 1972 guide. It might even have been mentioned in Gran's 1964 guide. The point is that the climbs at LC are undocumented and by consensus agreement do not appear in any published guidebook. Tons of climbers have known about it for 45 years. Tons of Preserve hikers know about it and know there's climbing over there. Photos of Persistence were even published several times in the 70's and 80's. It ain't a secret.

It's called Lost City not because it's lost but because the towers and corridors, esp. on the north end, reminded the early climbers of an abandoned city. (Remember the popularity of Tolkein in the 50's and 60's as reflected in the number of Lord of the Rings references in the names of climbs.)

#3939 - 03/16/02 12:28 AM Re: Semi, Secret, and Lost [Re: MarcC]
Anonymous
Unregistered

oh, for the love of........ No. I am not hung up on the sematics. All I am saying is, that if those climbers who came before us thought that the area should remain undocumented - then I personally feel that guiding and instruction should be restricted as well.

#3940 - 03/16/02 01:06 AM Re: Semi, Secret, and Lost [Re: MarcC]
LesterLeBlanc Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Los Angeles
That's true. I remember getting my first Climbing magazine in 1987. There was a report on a new 5.13 in the Gunks. That route was Clairvoyance. Survival block. Lost City.

#3941 - 03/16/02 04:48 AM Re: *sigh* [Re: MarcC]
Edgy Offline
enthusiast

Wow...

I thought I was pretty obtuse, but...

Please don't take offense at my asking; but are you engineer or a computer geek-type? Are you a linear thinking kind of guy? Have you ever been accused of being a little "left brained?"

I guess I didn't make myself excruciatingly clear. Of course, I know that Lost City isn't "secret" or "semi-secret" or even "lost"....

Believe me...I know when something is "secret...” I live in Western Mass, and we have a long, long, long history of trying to keep crags "secret" to keep someone from finding and chopping them.

I also think I understand the meaning of "lost." If you've ever been with me when I'm trying to find my way back to the latest really "secret" crag; you'd know, that I know "lost." I hate to admit it, but I spent 30 minutes yesterday wandering around in the woods, trying to find a trail that I had just cut. I’d like to think I was only "semi- lost."

What I was trying to do was poke a little gentle fun at the highly romanticized notions and beliefs that many who post in this forum have. There is a rigid, set in stone, "we're direct descendants of Fritz Wiessner" attitude that is more than a little prevalent on this board....

I was hoping (apparently without any success) to be humorous.... I think that it's really sad that those cute little emoticons are really necessary to be understood.... *sigh*

Personally, I don't think I have any hang ups about Lost City: If the Preserve (who owns the property) wants it to be undocumented... that's great. If the majority of the climbing community really wants it to be undocumented...that's great. If there's large guided groups at LC (or any where else in the Gunks).... that’s not great.

I do admit to a little bit of a hang up about the beloved "consensus agreement" when applied to climbs that are not on Preserve property. Should the "no documentation" and "no bolt" rules apply to climbs that are located on non-preserve lands like the Artificial Intelligence Wall at Bonticou?

edgy "who tries to keep his martinis, powder. and humor; dry...very dry"

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  andrew, Mike Rawdon 
Sponsored