Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (wivanov), 10 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#3990 - 03/14/02 08:04 PM safe harbor
Anonymous
Unregistered

i was just reading the "lost city" thread and the resulting onslaught that questioners should do a search before bringing up topics already hashed and rehashed. so i did that - searched for discussion on LC - and came upon a discussion of Safe Harbor and its closure. i just started climbing last year (at the gunks) and over this xmas holiday i was in york PA visiting family. i got together with some old friends who have also recently started climbing and we went to chickies rock to climb. while we were there we met a guy who told us about a great place to climb just south of chickies called safe harbor where there were bolted routes. the next day we broke out the map and drove down to safe harbor and started looking around. eventually (after a lot of hiking and driving) we found the crag and saw the bolts but decided the climbing was above our ability. so, (finally) now the question: what's to stop people like me from climbing there accidentally? no one told me safe harbor was closed. i didn't see any signs. i'm willing to respect closures, but what's to prevent climbers from unintentionally climbing in closed areas?

nutz

#3991 - 03/15/02 03:57 AM Re: safe harbor
Anonymous
Unregistered

To my knowledge the Sex Wall in safe harbor is still open, thats probably where you were. The main wall that most people know of is closed, signs posted there saying that. Don't go to the main wall, tickets, arrests, and/or gear confiscated is highly likely. If you do DRIVE SLOWLY and always be polite and VERY quiet. But I suggest against it. If you decide to go careful, loose rock, sketchy bolts/anchors (10+ years old). Rocks State Park in MD is not too far among other places around.

fatkid

Moderator:  andrew, Mike Rawdon 
Sponsored