Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 7 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#40137 - 09/26/08 12:03 AM Does education really matter?
acdnyc Offline
enthusiast

Loc: NYC/Kerhonkson
"Education Info on Presidential Candidates
Just in case you don't already know:

"With America facing historic debt, multiple war fronts, stumbling health care, a weakened dollar, all-time high prison population, skyrocketing Federal spending, mortgage crises, bank foreclosures, etc. etc., this is an unusually critical election year.

Let's look at the educational background of the candidates and see what they bring to the job:

Obama:
Occidental College - Two years.
Columbia University - B.A. political science with a specialization in international relations.
Harvard - Juris Doctor (J.D.) Magna Cum Laude

Biden:
University of Delaware - B.A. in history and B.A. in political science.
Syracuse University College of Law - Juris Doctor(J.D.)

(versus)

McCain:
United States Naval Academy - Class rank 894 out of 899 (meaning that, like George Bush, McCain was at the bottom of his class)

Palin:
Hawaii Pacific University - 1 semester
North Idaho College - 2 semesters - general study
University of Idaho - 2 semesters - journalism
Matanuska-Susitna College - 1 semester
University of Idaho - 3 semesters - B.A. in journalism

Now, which team are you going to hire to lead the most influential nation in the world?" "

I stole this but again had to share....

#40138 - 09/26/08 12:07 AM Re: Does education really matter? [Re: acdnyc]
J@son Offline

Loc: New Jersey
I really hated skool, and i'd like to say education doesn't matter but those facts make mccain and palin look bad

#40141 - 09/26/08 12:45 AM Re: Does education really matter? [Re: J@son]
Mike Rawdon Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Poughkeepsie
 Originally Posted By: J@son
... but those facts make mccain and palin look bad

Gee, you think so?

I wonder if that is intentional.

#40143 - 09/26/08 01:11 AM Re: Does education really matter? [Re: J@son]
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Palin is stupid enough to still think Saddam had something to do with 9/11:

Quote:
AP REPORTER: Do you think that our presence in Iraq and Afghanistan--our continued military presence there--is inflaming Islamic extremists?

SARAH PALIN: I think our presence in Iraq and in Afghanistan will lead to further security of our nation. Again, because the mission is to take the fight over there, do not let them come over here and attempt again what they accomplished here. And that was some destruction. Terrible destruction on that day. But, since September 11th, Americans uniting and rebuilding and committing to never letting that happen again.

But at least that answer was somewhat intelligible and she didn't sound like a complete blithering idiot:
 Quote:
COURIC: You've cited Alaska's proximity to Russia as part of your foreign policy experience. What did you mean by that?
PALIN: That Alaska has a very narrow maritime border between a foreign country, Russia, and on our other side, the land-- boundary that we have with-- Canada. It-- it's funny that a comment like that was-- kind of made to-- cari-- I don't know, you know? Reporters--
COURIC: Mock?
PALIN: Yeah, mocked, I guess that's the word, yeah.
COURIC: Explain to me why that enhances your foreign policy credentials.
PALIN: Well, it certainly does because our-- our next door neighbors are foreign countries. They're in the state that I am the executive of. And there in Russia--
COURIC: Have you ever been involved with any negotiations, for example, with the Russians?
PALIN: We have trade missions back and forth. We-- we do-- it's very important when you consider even national security issues with Russia as Putin rears his head and comes into the air space of the United States of America, where-- where do they go? It's Alaska. It's just right over the border. It is-- from Alaska that we send those out to make sure that an eye is being kept on this very powerful nation, Russia, because they are right there. They are right next to-- to our state.

#40150 - 09/26/08 11:47 AM Re: Does education really matter? [Re: acdnyc]
AOR Offline
enthusiast

I think it is abysmal that you would hold it against Obama and Biden that they are lawyers.

#40155 - 09/26/08 01:58 PM Re: Does education really matter? [Re: Mike Rawdon]
mworking Offline
old hand

Originally Posted By: Mike Rawdon
 Originally Posted By: J@son
... but those facts make mccain and palin look bad

Gee, you think so?

I wonder if that is intentional.

No Mike, I don't think McCain and Palin attended schools just so they could look bad!

Assuming the above is true, the facts speak for themselves.

#40156 - 09/26/08 02:08 PM Re: Does education really matter? [Re: mworking]
Smike Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: in your backyard
If you think its going to make a difference one way or another you need to take a broader look into history instead of neat little sound bites:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_Presidents_by_college_education

#40159 - 09/26/08 02:59 PM Re: Does education really matter? [Re: Smike]
mworking Offline
old hand

Now that I have McCain and Palin still look bad to me.

I only considered the last 30 or 40 years. Times have changed and education is highly considered and expected in job application these days.

Needless to say I doubt McCain and Palin would be selected to run a company let alone the country. Education isn't everything though and it is good they actually have experience in government.

#40164 - 09/26/08 03:46 PM Re: Does education really matter? [Re: AOR]
Dillbag Offline
old hand

Loc: "The Town"
 Originally Posted By: AOR
I think it is abysmal that you would hold it against Obama and Biden that they are lawyers.

But we hold it against D-Elvis! ;\)

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored