Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (donald perry), 11 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 11 of 12 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 >
Topic Options
#40428 - 10/06/08 01:07 AM Re: Political Claptrap [Re: mworking]
alicex4 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Watch this whole plan sink like the proverbial STONE, and not in a good way! \:\)

#40429 - 10/06/08 01:12 AM Re: Political Claptrap [Re: mworking]
alicex4 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

NYTIMES has a front page story this weekend where they actually say "Democrats blocked reform". I almost choked on my hot chocolate Sunday AM. When the liberal rag the times dimes out the Democrats, it must be the last days.

PS If one more out of touch politician mentions main street in an ad, I may need to arm myself.

#40434 - 10/06/08 02:05 PM Re: Political Claptrap [Re: alicex4]
Smike Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: in your backyard
So what are the chances of the NYSE hitting any of the circuit breakers today?

http://www.nyse.com/press/circuit_breakers.html

#40439 - 10/06/08 02:39 PM Re: Political Claptrap [Re: alicex4]
alicex4 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The Dow has already tanked 300 points. How low can she go....

#40440 - 10/06/08 02:41 PM Re: Political Claptrap [Re: Smike]
alicex4 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Jim Cramer, “Whatever money you may need for the next five years, please take it out of the stock market right now, this week. I do not believe that you should risk those assets in the stock market right now.”

#40442 - 10/06/08 02:46 PM Re: Political Claptrap [Re: alicex4]
Smike Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: in your backyard
 Originally Posted By: alicex4
Jim Cramer, “Whatever money you may need for the next five years, please take it out of the stock market right now, this week. I do not believe that you should risk those assets in the stock market right now.”

That is the main driver in the world economy right now – ‘Fear’

One of the great quotes of all time seems unnervingly relevant today. “The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself.”

#40444 - 10/06/08 05:07 PM Re: Political Claptrap [Re: alicex4]
Mike Rawdon Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Poughkeepsie

Yup, and to our gasoline-deprived friends in the Southeast: if you're worried about the gasoline shortage, go out and top off your tank today. Don't wait, do it now!

#40446 - 10/06/08 05:23 PM Re: Political Claptrap [Re: Mike Rawdon]
alicex4 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Not only the Souteast, apparently the Colonial pipeline that runs from NC to Linden NJ was shut down because a contractor damaged it.

#40448 - 10/06/08 05:39 PM Re: Political Claptrap [Re: alicex4]
Daniel Offline
veteran

The time to buy is when everyone else is selling. I think if you've got a long time horizon (five years or more), it would not be smart to sell now. Yes, there's some chance things will tank further. There's also some chance that we're seeing herd behavior, that the housing market will bottom out and stabilize within the next year, and things will gradually get back to normal. Do people really think the Dow is going to be below 9,800 in 2013?

If you're risk-averse or have short-term needs, that's a different situation. And if you've got money invested that you can't afford to lose, then a heavy allocation in stocks wasn't a good idea to begin with.

Determine your tolerance for risk, and go from there. Investment 101, folks.

#40454 - 10/06/08 07:33 PM Re: Political Claptrap [Re: Daniel]
MurphysLaw Offline
gumby

Loc: Hudson Valley, NY
“The four most dangerous words in investing are 'This time it's different.'”
-Sir John Templeton

“The way to make money is to buy when blood is running in the streets.”
-John D. Rockefeller

“Bull markets are born on pessimism, grow on skepticism, mature on optimism, and die on euphoria. The time of maximum pessimism is the best time to buy and the time of maximum optimism is the best time to sell.”
- Sir John Templeton

"Our favorite holding period is forever."
-Warren Buffett

I'll take these quotes over whatever Mr. Mad Money is spouting off about these days, since he has obviously finally gone completely off his meds.

I used to think Suze Orman was the Antichrist. Now I think she and Cramer do the job in shifts.

Page 11 of 12 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored