Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 12 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#41326 - 11/07/08 07:42 PM MTB trails off Lower Awosting route?
StonyKill Offline
stranger

Last week I noticed that 2 routes off of the Lower Awosting Carriageway (Long Path & route to Stony Kill Falls from Lake Awosting) were free of the yellow barrier tape that has been there since the fire.

Does anyone know if those trails are now open? I can't imagine they would be, maybe I just happened by when they were doing some maintenance in there.

I spoke to a ranger in September who said they'd be blocked off for some time and that trespassing could get you a $1000 fine.

Really bummed about it. I know we have to pay extra attention to the young woods that will regrow after the fire, but the carriage road was always there to begin and I can't see how their use would affect the forest.

But rules are rules and maybe they know something more to the picture.

#41390 - 11/10/08 06:32 PM Re: MTB trails off Lower Awosting route? [Re: StonyKill]
Smike Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: in your backyard
The whole premise surrounding the closing of lands of the burn zone is an attempt to mitigate the advance of invasive species. Most of the burn area’s started off as a clean slate given any species (invasive or not) an ample environment to take off.

If you ever have gone hiking and seen hundreds of seed pods stuck to your clothes you can see the potential for human migration on plant species. Hiking trails and roads often serve as major sources of the transportation of seeds. Although animals going in and out of the burn zone may do the same.

Bob O’Brian at the Minnewaska Preserve can answer more details on that and when any estimate on timing when things will re-open. I would assume they are waiting for the first generation of regrowth to become established first.

#41396 - 11/10/08 08:23 PM Re: MTB trails off Lower Awosting route? [Re: Smike]
Mike Rawdon Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Poughkeepsie
Human traffic may INCREMENTALLY promote invasive species spread, but I gotta believe that wind, water, birds, and catching a ride on the hides of woodland creatures is 100x more responsible for plant spread.

#41399 - 11/10/08 09:10 PM Re: MTB trails off Lower Awosting route? [Re: Mike Rawdon]
Dillbag Offline
old hand

Loc: "The Town"
I'm going to have to agree with Rawdon on that one...

If you're on the trail you don't really pick up that many seeds... If you're bushwacking then yeah, you'll pick them up and spread them around, but no more than the hundreds of deer and squirrels!

#41438 - 11/11/08 03:39 PM Re: MTB trails off Lower Awosting route? [Re: Dillbag]
mworking Offline
old hand

Originally Posted By: Dillbag
If you're on the trail you don't really pick up that many seeds... If you're bushwacking then yeah, you'll pick them up and spread them around, but no more than the hundreds of deer and squirrels!

Animal don't bring invasive plants/species form hundred or =even thousands of miles away. Assumedly the local plants/species have local limitation built into their local environment.

#41443 - 11/11/08 04:33 PM Re: MTB trails off Lower Awosting route? [Re: mworking]
Dillbag Offline
old hand

Loc: "The Town"
Ummm...

Birds?

#41542 - 11/13/08 01:56 AM Re: MTB trails off Lower Awosting route? [Re: mworking]
Smike Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: in your backyard
 Originally Posted By: mworking

Animal don't bring invasive plants/species form hundred or =even thousands of miles away. Assumedly the local plants/species have local limitation built into their local environment.

There is invasive plants on the ridge now, in fact on one side of 44/55 while the other side is burned out. I don't disagree that natural facts will transport that easily enough, but not my area of expertise.

#41631 - 11/13/08 09:22 PM Re: MTB trails off Lower Awosting route? [Re: Smike]
RangerRob Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ulster County, NY
Erosion, invasives, and visitor safety..supposedly in that order were the reasons it was closed for so long

#41653 - 11/14/08 12:34 AM Re: MTB trails off Lower Awosting route? [Re: RangerRob]
Mike Rawdon Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Poughkeepsie
 Originally Posted By: RangerRob
Erosion, invasives, and visitor safety..supposedly in that order were the reasons it was closed for so long

What's to keep it from staying closed forever in the interest of "invasives"? Like much of southern Minnewaska/Sam's Point north of Lake Maratanza are closed to the public.

#41661 - 11/14/08 01:13 PM Re: MTB trails off Lower Awosting route? [Re: Mike Rawdon]
RangerRob Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ulster County, NY
I didn't know that that area was closed to the public. That is news to me. I know certain areas of Sam's Point you need a permit to go in...like Shingle Gully area, places off of Smiley carraigeway, etc. But i don't think they are off limits.
RR

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored