Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 12 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 ... 14 15 >
Topic Options
#41465 - 11/12/08 02:03 AM Rosendale Cave CLOSED TO CLIMBING
Eddie Offline
veteran

Loc: NP. NY
hello all,

here is another example of irresponsible climbing practices leading to a closure by a land owner!

Not only did climbers trespass onto private land they took it one step further and proceeded to vandalize the cliff also! They took it upon themselves to bolt the cliff and install anchors! no permission was given to use the land or bolt the rock!

I am the owner of the rock. i am appalled with the inconsiderate, selfish, and disrespect climbers now exhibit! i had heard that there was bolts in the rock, but i was just not wanting to face the facts and go look. well today i did! i had to ask the 4 climbers to pack there stuff and pull the ropes as there were trespassing and had not asked my permission. there are at least 5 routes. to make matters worse one line is bolted through a VERY VERY unstable formation! So we also have a stupid bolter who bolted a SUPER dangerous line!

Let me just make something very clear. MOST LAND IS NOT PUBLIC LAND! IF THE LAND IS PUBLIC IT WILL SAY SO WITH A SIGN! WHEN IN DOUBT ASK PERMISSION BEFORE ENTERING ANY LAND

I am an outdoor person. i hunt, fish, climb,operate ATVS,and shoot photos. I ALWAYS ASK PERMISSION TO ACCESS ANY LAND!!! PERIOD!

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CLIMB ON OR IN THE ROSENDALE CAVE! tell your fellow climbers. my patience is gone. i will not ask again! IF anyone is caught at the cave they will be speaking directly to the police! NO WARNINGS!

TRESPASSERS WILL BE ARRESTED AND I WILL PRESS CHARGES!

Be assured WHEN i find out who vandalized my property i will swear out a warrant for his/her/their arrest!

Edited by Eddie (11/12/08 02:14 AM)

#41467 - 11/12/08 12:51 PM Re: Rosendale Cave CLOSED TO CLIMBING [Re: Eddie]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
Wow! I don't think there is anyone who could possibly blame you for your reaction. An unbelievable act for them to have done.

#41469 - 11/12/08 01:25 PM Re: Rosendale Cave CLOSED TO CLIMBING [Re: chip]
skillet Offline
journeyman

Loc: long island,ny
what would you say any of those routes were rated? just curious.

#41472 - 11/12/08 02:32 PM Re: Rosendale Cave CLOSED TO CLIMBING [Re: skillet]
dstrickler Offline
stranger

Those routes have been in place for at least 10 years...
The grades of the routes are 5.12 and above.

#41473 - 11/12/08 02:37 PM Re: Rosendale Cave CLOSED TO CLIMBING [Re: dstrickler]
Smike Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: in your backyard
Hey Eddie,
When was the date that you received that note?

Edited by Smike (11/12/08 04:34 PM)
Edit Reason: Got it, was thinking of another location. Agree with you now!

#41478 - 11/12/08 04:06 PM Re: Rosendale Cave CLOSED TO CLIMBING [Re: dstrickler]
Eddie Offline
veteran

Originally Posted By: dstrickler
Those routes have been in place for at least 10 years...
The grades of the routes are 5.12 and above.

they have NOT been up for 10 years!

you maybe thinking of a different cave!

smike. i received no note.

#41484 - 11/12/08 05:06 PM Re: Rosendale Cave CLOSED TO CLIMBING [Re: Eddie]
Eddie Offline
veteran

two more items! again, i stress that permission is needed to climb on any private property (ie. any rosendale cave).

i have a call into the other cave owners in rosendale. i will very persuasively suggest that they too close their caves to climbing and climbing activities!

#41490 - 11/12/08 05:49 PM Re: Rosendale Cave CLOSED TO CLIMBING [Re: Eddie]
Jgreene Offline

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I hope it works it out. What a sucky situation.

#41500 - 11/12/08 07:31 PM Re: Rosendale Cave CLOSED TO CLIMBING [Re: Eddie]
SnowJunkie Offline

Loc: NY
I agree that people shouldn't have been on your property and it is your right as the owner to close it off to everyone and for all activities that you so deem. BUT I also think that calling other landowners to persuade them to remove access is petty, reeks of revenge and brings about nothing but negativity and more harm then good. Just because you've been wronged doesn't mean you need to call up everyone and start moaning and groaning about how they need to bar climbers from coming on their property... let them make their own decisions.

#41505 - 11/12/08 08:13 PM Re: Rosendale Cave CLOSED TO CLIMBING [Re: SnowJunkie]
Eddie Offline
veteran

Originally Posted By: SnowJunkie
I agree that people shouldn't have been on your property and it is your right as the owner to close it off to everyone and for all activities that you so deem. BUT I also think that calling other landowners to persuade them to remove access is petty, reeks of revenge and brings about nothing but negativity and more harm then good. Just because you've been wronged doesn't mean you need to call up everyone and start moaning and groaning about how they need to bar climbers from coming on their property... let them make their own decisions.

i plan to bring it to the landowners attention! they may not even know that they have trespassers on their property vandalizing it!

it is the land owners right to have the information! you need to remember that there is a significant liability here! if a climber is hurt the will inevitably be suing the land owner! i believe the land owner is entitled to be informed of any possible liability he/she may have!

let me remind you that is was some unscrupulous, low down, trespassing, sneaky, vandal of a climber that has brought this to the climbing community! i am only reacting to this and protecting myself and my land.

this is what happens when you break the law and vandalize someones property....backlash! you obviously do not see exactly how F!@#ING angry i am about this!

i plan to let the other land owners make their own decisions. what do you think they are going to say and think when they find out that climbers have trespassed and then proceeded to vandalize their property? i believe they will react exactly as i have! remember i am a climber and i am pissed off! imagine what a non-climber is going to think?!

this is a simple, basic example of respect! the climber did not respect the land owner and now everyone will suffer!

think about this the next time "you" decide to disrespect some one or their property. you have no right to trespass on any property! tell your friends! the person who bolted my rock is a friend of some one on this board!

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 ... 14 15 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored