Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 14 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#42055 - 12/02/08 03:22 AM Re: Minnewaska not grooming this winter [Re: phlan]
Dillbag Offline
old hand

Loc: "The Town"
exactly... And if you were a bit better you might enjoy it more!

#42061 - 12/02/08 10:02 PM Re: Minnewaska not grooming this winter [Re: Dillbag]
RangerRob Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ulster County, NY
You know, one could actually say backcountry is the more pure form of the sport, and as such should have the right of way. Like toproping versus leading. One could say that...if one were so inclined.

RR

#42065 - 12/03/08 12:32 AM Re: Minnewaska not grooming this winter [Re: RangerRob]
pedestrian Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: a heavily fortified bunker!
One could also say that skiing is fun if one can pick up speed and keep flying. On the flats that requires groomed trails, whether it's for classical or skating. If I'm going to spend my day breaking trail, though, I'd prefer to have a speedy powder descent as the payoff. Keep Minnewaska groomed!

#42071 - 12/03/08 02:37 PM Re: Minnewaska not grooming this winter [Re: pedestrian]
Dillbag Offline
old hand

Loc: "The Town"
One could also say that by definition nothing on the ridge qualifies as backcountry \:\)

#42082 - 12/03/08 06:51 PM Re: Minnewaska not grooming this winter [Re: Dillbag]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
I find the whole "budget cuts" thing a bit much. Really, what else is going on over there all winter? There will still be permanent employees. Yes it takes some time and gas to groom the trails, but not much at all. Even just dragging the trails with an old box spring will give a nice bed (pun intended) for the skaters. I am always happier on groomed trails but would survive either way. Freestyle is essentially impossible without grooming unless you get the perfect combo of not too much snow with a perfect powder over it or just after enough sun has slightly softened a glazing. So those days I break out the wider skiis and kick around.
Try scooting down the little trail out to Gertrudes if you want to feel like you are in backcountry.

#42104 - 12/03/08 11:52 PM Re: Minnewaska not grooming this winter [Re: chip]
RangerRob Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Skiing up to Awosting Lake along the Smiley Road from Ellenville is kinda cool. You can then go over to the new Awosting Reserve lot and glide down those roads to make a nice ridge traverse. No tracks wanted!!!

#42150 - 12/04/08 11:44 PM Re: Minnewaska not grooming this winter [Re: RangerRob]
phlan Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Gardiner, NY
hey rr I hear ya.

one of my goals has been to ski the entire ridge north to south. that would obviously entail digging out my ol backcountry skis outta tha attic.

and that would be a ton of fun. but bc skiing involves a whole lotta slow shuffling. not to imply that that is a bad thing; actually you appreciate the scenery maybe a bit more.

once you get started skiing fast, i mean really fast, on skinny skis, &groomed trails i am sure you will find it addicting - dare ya, try it.

cheers
phlan

#42235 - 12/08/08 06:31 PM Re: Minnewaska not grooming this winter [Re: phlan]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
I was doing a bunch of biathlon when skating technique hit the scene in the early 80s. It was hard to imagine using it for a whole race at the time, as it seemed so tiring and slow on the uphills. Once we started training for it, got the balance down and learned how to conserve momentum better, we were often frustrated by the difficulty of finding trails that were adequately groomed. When you achieve/find both it is like an entirely different sport.
The balance to ride a really skinny ski as far as possible on each foot is not something that most folk pick up fast but time on roller blades and roller skiis sure helps. Unfortunately the trails have to be pretty good to allow you to take advantage of the momentum. Williams Lake used to do a great job with trails but have recently closed. Now I usually just go to the Van Hovenberg trails outside of Lake Placid for reliable snow and grooming.
I hear ya, Phlan, about a ridge tour, but also find that it about as fast to use snow shoes as to track uneven terrain in b/c skiis, unless you can really take it out on some big downhills.

#42236 - 12/08/08 07:40 PM Re: Minnewaska not grooming this winter [Re: chip]
pedestrian Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: a heavily fortified bunker!
The dirty truth is that on the East Coast, 99% of the good skiing outside of the Presidentials and Dacks slides is on terrain that has been "prepared" in one way or another.

#42238 - 12/08/08 08:48 PM Re: Minnewaska not grooming this winter [Re: pedestrian]
RangerRob Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sally Boys

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored