Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 7 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#419 - 06/22/00 06:18 PM Los Angeles area bouldering?
andrew Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Denver, CO
howdy,

i am in LA for a week or so on business, and i was hoping to get some bouldering in this weekend. anybody know some good spots, preferably near santa monica-but anywhere within an hour or two is ok.

thanks,
andrew

#420 - 06/24/00 05:49 AM Re: Los Angeles area bouldering? [Re: andrew]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Lots of places: Malibu Creek State Park; Stoney Point (Chatsworth); Rockreation Gym (Santa Monica)...Get a copy of one of the guides to the area.

#421 - 06/24/00 06:20 PM Re: Los Angeles area bouldering? [Re: andrew]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Malibu Creek and Stoney are probably the only two MAJOR areas and both are great for bouldering. There are so many little, overlooked places. Horse Flats, up Angeles Crest is a really great area but it is probably outside of an hour. Well, you could make it there in an hour if you drive real fast.

There is a book on bouldering in so cal by Craig Fry that you can scan through in a bookstore. Dont buy it, a new additoin has to be coming out soon that will cover some areas a lot better. Keep in mind that a few of these areas are included and I really think that he really underestimates the lack of quality some of these areas have. I just dont like twenty minute hikes through poision oak to go to something that I think sucks.

Anyhow here is an awsome site for Stoney Point. Have fun while you are here!

http://www.ayola.com/stoney/index.html

Oh yeah, if you are going to be here over the fourth of july, go down to Hermosa/Manhattan Beach which is only twenty minutes south of Santa Monica. It is probably the biggest party I have ever seen- you WILL like it. Beer, sun, skin, fireworks, beer and skin- It is a good time.

#422 - 06/24/00 06:31 PM Re: Los Angeles area bouldering?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sorry the above was a little confusing. The guidebook may be misleading to a visiting climber. I wouldnt want a visitor from NY hiking an hour to Sunset Stones (an area described in the book)to find some Ok rocks that have been toproped but there are no real boulder starts to any of them because there are thick bushes at the base of 99% of the rocks. This place would be better if it were closer and saw more traffic. There are a few areas in the book that fit this description and I wouldnt want a visitor lured to mediocre areas when LA has some of the best bouldering in the world but you do have to get over an hour out of Santa Monica for most of it.

#423 - 06/25/00 04:12 AM Re: Los Angeles area bouldering?
andrew Offline

Pooh-Bah

howdy,

i'll be in LA a lot over the next few months, so any info you have is great. i am going to check out stony point tomorrow, and hopefully malibu later in the week. any other info you can provide is appreciated, or if you want a bouldering partner out here drop me an email.

andrew
andrew@mcy.com

#424 - 06/27/00 06:27 PM Re: Los Angeles area bouldering? [Re: andrew]
andrew Offline

Pooh-Bah

howdy,

thanks a lot for the suggestions. i checked out stony point and it was awesome, though a little hot.

one more question though. how about beach side bouldering? i paged through the guidebook, and the stuff in orange county looked pretty cool. how about point mugu-is that worth a trip? do you know of anything a little less urban further up the coast that is good?

i've always thought bouldering with the ocean as a backgrop would be about the coolest thing ever.

andrew

#425 - 06/27/00 06:38 PM Re: Los Angeles area bouldering? [Re: andrew]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Point Magoo is OK but small. It is just a rock in a parking lot off of PCH.

Corona del mar, though south, is next to the water and is a lot better. It is primarly an afternoon area because of sunbathers. five pm is a good time to get there. It is about an hour south on the 405 without traffic. Two hours is more realistic the way things are here. It is in no way as hot as the valley. More like twenty to thirty degrees cooler, sandy landings and a cool location too.

#426 - 06/27/00 08:41 PM Re: Los Angeles area bouldering? [Re: andrew]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Maybe I'm a rock snob, but I think the boulders on the beach in Corona Del Mar suck. all of the holds are filled with sand, the routes are crappy, the rock is friable, etc... Not worth the drive IMO. Try horse flats or black mountain.

#427 - 06/28/00 12:55 AM Re: Los Angeles area bouldering?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I agree that the rock isnt the greatest quality and can be sandy and greesy, but if it is dry in the afternoon it is great and very convinient. I still think if you want to beat heat of the valley Corona Del Mar is good.

Black Mt is the greatest bouldering area (beats horse flats)I can think of but it is quite a haul, but well worth it. Just take a left somewhere on a dirt road on the way to Taquitz and drive straight up it for awhile and there you are in miles and miles of perfect boulders. I know these are crappy directions but it must be on a map somewhere or something. At seven thousand feet this place is lots cooler than Stoney and about five thousand times the size and it is granite not sandstone.

#428 - 06/28/00 12:59 PM Re: Los Angeles area bouldering?
Anonymous
Unregistered

to get to Black Mtn. start as the USFS Ranger station
in downtown idywild Go north and west on California 243
for 8.1 miles. go right on FS 4S01 for 4.0 miles to the
O.K. corral.

Moderator:  andrew, Mike Rawdon 
Sponsored