Shout Box

Who's Online
2 registered (wivanov, 1 invisible), 8 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 14 of 15 < 1 2 ... 12 13 14 15 >
Topic Options
#41944 - 11/24/08 09:29 PM Re: Rosendale Cave CLOSED TO CLIMBING [Re: pedestrian]
Kent Offline
old hand

Loc: The Bayards
For one landowner on North Mountain Road with 25 acres, under the old law the owner could subdivide into five acre lots. That's five lots. Empty house lots in Gardiner range all over, but 150K per lot is a reasonable average. Five lots at 150K is 750K. The new law leaves probably just one buildable lot. Even if that one lot goes for 200K that still yields a 550K loss. Even if the market has now tanked by 30%, it's still a $385K loss due to the zoning law.

That's one example. Different properties are affected in different ways and to varying degrees.

Edited by Kent (11/24/08 09:49 PM)

#41946 - 11/24/08 10:25 PM Re: Rosendale Cave CLOSED TO CLIMBING [Re: Kent]
tradjunkie Offline
enthusiast

Kent,
If said 25 acre property were subdividable at such a profit, why wasn't it done before the law changed? If the landowner didn't subdivide it, that would indicate, on the face of it, that either it wasn't profitable to do so, or that the landowner preferred to own that land anyway and was indifferent to any value, or loss of value, that might be ascribed to subdividing that land or not.

Also, if you're talking creating a subdivided lot on a sloping talus field, that sounds like a construction minefield to my uneducated mind. Wouldn't such a lot have far less value than average given the difficulty of building on that terrain?

#41947 - 11/24/08 10:35 PM Re: Rosendale Cave CLOSED TO CLIMBING [Re: tradjunkie]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
It lives on!

#41948 - 11/24/08 11:14 PM Re: Rosendale Cave CLOSED TO CLIMBING [Re: tradjunkie]
Kent Offline
old hand

Loc: The Bayards
 Quote:
If said 25 acre property were subdividable at such a profit, why wasn't it done before the law changed? If the landowner didn't subdivide it, that would indicate, on the face of it, that either it wasn't profitable to do so, or that the landowner preferred to own that land anyway and was indifferent to any value, or loss of value, that might be ascribed to subdividing that land or not.

Every landowner is different as is every lot. This landowner's plan was to keep the land and sell it when he needed it for his retirement.

Quote:
Also, if you're talking creating a subdivided lot on a sloping talus field, that sounds like a construction minefield to my uneducated mind. Wouldn't such a lot have far less value than average given the difficulty of building on that terrain?

The particular lot I am referring to has no talus on it and it doesn't slope very much either. It's very buildable.

#41949 - 11/24/08 11:49 PM Re: Rosendale Cave CLOSED TO CLIMBING [Re: tradjunkie]
GOclimb Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Boston
 Originally Posted By: tradjunkie
Kent,

What a ridiculous argument. If I'd rather save my money than spend it, should someone else be able to make the argument that "he's not using it, so he clearly doesn't want it?"

GO

#42017 - 11/27/08 03:15 AM Re: Rosendale Cave CLOSED TO CLIMBING [Re: GOclimb]
RangerRob Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ulster County, NY
Christ...I guess I have to be blunt and just say it. Die thread....DIE!!!!

#42024 - 11/27/08 06:18 PM Re: Rosendale Cave CLOSED TO CLIMBING [Re: RangerRob]
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: RangerRob
Christ...I guess I have to be blunt and just say it. Die thread....DIE!!!!

If you're that aggravated by the thread, why do you keep posting to it? No one is forcing you to read or reply here. I really don't see the point of these seagull posts. (Meaning, fly in, leave a pile of crap, and fly away.)

#42959 - 02/04/09 01:01 AM Re: Rosendale Cave CLOSED TO CLIMBING [Re: MarcC]
crackers Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: pdx
shoot, i missed all the fun...eddie, did you shoot anybody?

#42961 - 02/04/09 01:45 PM Re: Rosendale Cave CLOSED TO CLIMBING [Re: crackers]
phil Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Rosendale has caves? ;\)

#62023 - 12/19/11 04:06 PM Re: Rosendale Cave CLOSED TO CLIMBING [Re: Eddie]
Eddie Offline
veteran

Loc: NP. NY
Originally Posted By: Eddie

to make matters worse one line is bolted through a VERY VERY unstable formation! So we also have a stupid bolter who bolted a SUPER dangerous line!

hello again. good news, the climbers respected my wishes from what i could tell. thank you.

but as an update the climbing route i was talking about did in fact fall to the earth. as i noted above it was a really shitty place for an anchor. i am not sure when the rock broke off, as i do not go in there often, but it has fallen.

i am glad no one was injured. but for those who think i am crazy. and those that know i am crazy crazy. please note i was right in it being a very dangerous place to put an anchor.

photo.net photos here. (click teh images to make em bigger)

eddie

Edited by Eddie (12/19/11 04:07 PM)

Page 14 of 15 < 1 2 ... 12 13 14 15 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored