Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 12 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#42484 - 12/26/08 11:33 PM Snowshoeing? Sledding??
StonyKill Offline
stranger

Don't know where else to post this question, but I'm guessing if anyone's been up to Minnewaska recently it'd be X-C Skiers...

Can I snowshoe anywhere in the park (obviously with prudent respect for existing X-C trails)?

And I'm thinking Cardiac Hill would make a KILLER luge run. Or in my case, a killer super-saucer sled run. Is that possible, or is it plowed for park ranger use or maybe wish-boned by skiers?

Thanks. Tomorrow's freezing rain should quench my need for speed.

#42486 - 12/27/08 03:35 PM Re: Snowshoeing? Sledding?? [Re: StonyKill]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
We've been told that the park will not be tracking the trails for skiing but I'm sure some will just do it the old fashioned way. I really appreciate that you will avoid the tracks. I don't ski there enough myself to tell you where you might go, but let us know how the big event goes flying down the hill!

#42487 - 12/27/08 07:31 PM Re: Snowshoeing? Sledding?? [Re: StonyKill]
Mike Rawdon Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Poughkeepsie
The big ice storm 2 weeks ago hit Minne. pretty hard, and the park is closed. At least it was about 5 days ago; dunno about now. Now, that might mean you can go in and do whatever you want. But in my experience, when Minnewaska Park is not OPEN, they will bust you for trespassing if you go in. (So much for Public Land!)

#42687 - 01/20/09 12:00 PM Re: Snowshoeing? Sledding?? [Re: Mike Rawdon]
AOR Offline
enthusiast

Keeping in mind the obvious respect for CC skiing tracks...where are the best snowshoeing areas in the gunks area? (Minne? Fahnestock? Tannersville?)
thanks... \:\)

#42688 - 01/20/09 01:59 PM Re: Snowshoeing? Sledding?? [Re: AOR]
phlan Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Gardiner, NY
the idea of snowshoeing seems to me to be get away off the beaten path. with that in mind, the best area I can think of would be to go up to sam's point preserve and start from there, numerous possibilities exist. or, one can start from ellenville behind the firehouse and go up the old smiley road. lots of adventure to be had there and you will probably not see too many other people. have fun...

ps also the high peterskill would be nice too, and you can start either from the peters kill entrance or at the preserve entrance like you would go up to lost city.

#42692 - 01/20/09 03:08 PM Re: Snowshoeing? Sledding?? [Re: phlan]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
I second the High Peterskill trail as very nice snowshoeing. There is often a pack of Ravens hanging out up there early in the morning who are very vocal. If there is enough snow, you can bashwack over the blueberries from the east side of the Peterskill climbing area back to Lost City. Just take a compass if you are worried about finding your way.

#42732 - 01/22/09 01:25 AM Re: Snowshoeing? Sledding?? [Re: chip]
Rickster Online   content
old hand

Loc: Orange Cty, NY
AOR, In the Gunks area, many if not all of the narrow single track foot trails would be fine snowshoe routes. From Gatehouse to Bonticou Path or Northeast Trail to Bonticou. North of the Mohonk Hotel is a network of small paths that weave in and out amongst the carriageways and many small crags, glades and crevice areas. Many are already broken out. Giants Path, Copes, Cathedral and many more. Enjoy, RC

#42756 - 01/23/09 12:17 PM Re: Snowshoeing? Sledding?? [Re: Rickster]
AOR Offline
enthusiast

Thanks, all...it is much appreciated. \:\)

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored