Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 2 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#42636 - 01/18/09 01:34 AM Mountain Trails in Tannersville?
Jannette Offline

Cliffmama
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Gardiner, NY
Anyone ever go to the Mountain Trails x-c skiing center in
Tannersville? Wondering if it's any good.

Jannette

#42637 - 01/18/09 01:40 AM Re: Mountain Trails in Tannersville? [Re: Jannette]
Mike Rawdon Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Poughkeepsie
Never heard of it. Where is it?

#42638 - 01/18/09 02:25 AM Re: Mountain Trails in Tannersville? [Re: Mike Rawdon]
Jannette Offline

Cliffmama
Pooh-Bah

Tannersville in the Catskills: http://www.mtntrails.com/home.html

#42642 - 01/18/09 11:47 AM Re: Mountain Trails in Tannersville? [Re: Jannette]
Rickster Online   content
old hand

Loc: Orange Cty, NY
We went there many years ago. With enough cover it is nice. But, they open and close on a very weather dependent therefore erratic schedule. The XC trails at Bellearye are also open, though I do not know if they are tracked. A call up would verify. I've been told that Minnewaska is open again with limited trail offerings and is currently FREE! And, Mohonk is in near prime condition as well. RC

#42643 - 01/18/09 02:14 PM Re: Mountain Trails in Tannersville? [Re: Rickster]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
I've tried to go to Mountain Trails twice, at times when I thought it would have enough snow, to be told there wasn't enough to open up. I've worked at similar places and it certainly takes some physical effort to keep trails in good shape. Maybe the desire or ability to do so past the initial snowfall isn't there.

#42644 - 01/18/09 03:25 PM Re: Mountain Trails in Tannersville? [Re: chip]
Mike Rawdon Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Poughkeepsie
I see a dense network of trails on their website map, but the property is only half a square mile (300 acres). And at $34/couple, I think we'll do better elsewhere (Gunks, North Lake, southern ADKs)

#42654 - 01/19/09 01:48 AM Re: Mountain Trails in Tannersville? [Re: Mike Rawdon]
phlan Offline

Carpal Tunnel

mntn trails might be worth doing sometime as a diversion but I would always call ahead.
that's expensive.
there is also skiing at the frost valley ymca and I heard it's good.
info:
http://www.frostvalley.org/
guess you should call for info. I've never been there.
also, fahnestock state park is supposed to be excellent. it's in carmel ny and people rave about it so I'm intending to definitely check it out soon.
http://nysparks.state.ny.us/parks/info.asp?parkID=129

anyone starting their kids out nordic skiing should get decent skis and get them lessons. start them out right. it is such a great sport. I learned pretty good technique from one of my long term skiing partners and now I am trying to coach a little and try to correct many years of wrong technique in my other friends skiing. they will unlearn it, but it is hard to undo. it also took me many years after starting skiing, and thinking I knew what I was doing, to actually start to learn real technique. I am still learning every time I go out.
happy skiing everyone.

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored