Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 14 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 12 of 12 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12
Topic Options
#40460 - 10/07/08 02:19 AM Re: Political Claptrap [Re: MurphysLaw]
alicex4 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

House is paid off. Booyah, they can't take away what you own, as long as you pay your taxes. See Washington township NJ for reference....

We'll see. I remember when people didn't retire, they worked until they died, maybe this philosophy will reignite in society. Pay cash, buy what you can afford--not what you dream, want. Lowered expectations rule!

#40462 - 10/07/08 11:02 AM Re: Political Claptrap [Re: MurphysLaw]
oenophore Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land
“The way to make money is to buy when blood is running in the streets.”
-John D. Rockefeller

That has been attributed to Nathan Rothschild in 1815. ("I invest only when I hear the sound of cannon fire and see blood running in the streets. I sell when I hear the sound of the violins.")

Booyah, they can't take away what you own, as long as you pay your taxes.

Might those taxes rise as other tax revenues shrink in a declining economy?

#40465 - 10/07/08 02:07 PM Re: Political Claptrap [Re: oenophore]
alicex4 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

"Might those taxes rise as other tax revenues shrink in a declining economy? "

Possibly, but it is a lot easier to cobble together $3000-$4000 than $112,000. Just make sure you pay your taxes. Washington Township NJ down in SJ will take your property if you are behind in your taxes.

WASHINGTON TWP. — Members of township council are expected to vote next week on an accelerated tax sale meant to balance the municipal budget -- but they won't do so happily.
The tax sale, if approved, would take place on Dec. 23, officials said.

"Nice Christmas present," Councilwoman Anita LaPierre lamented at a workshop meeting Wednesday.

"We'll be Snidely Whiplash," Councilman Albert Frattali said of the sale, which would require landowners to pay all 2008 property taxes by year-end, where they previously could have waited until June.

People who remain behind on payments would face tax liens and the possibility of foreclosure after six months, said Nick Petroni, the township auditor.

But council members, who had long resisted Mayor Paul Moriarty's proposal for an accelerated sale, indicated they saw no alternative after state officials blocked a previous bid to balance the 2008 budget.

#40466 - 10/07/08 02:10 PM Re: Political Claptrap [Re: oenophore]
Smike Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: in your backyard
Interesting foreshadow

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.ht...&pagewanted=all

(Take note of the publish date)

Two key points:

Quote:
Fannie Mae, the nation's biggest underwriter of home mortgages, has been under increasing pressure from the Clinton Administration to expand mortgage loans among low and moderate income people and felt pressure from stock holders to maintain its phenomenal growth in profits.

Quote:
'From the perspective of many people, including me, this is another thrift industry growing up around us,'' said Peter Wallison a resident fellow at the American Enterprise Institute. ''If they fail, the government will have to step up and bail them out the way it stepped up and bailed out the thrift industry.'

This is why I cringe every time I hear the democrats scream that lack of regulation was part of the cause. Not that I don’t agree with that, but its like they are hoping that most average Americans have forgotten the past of even just 10 years ago. I remember quite well the Clintons initiatives in making home mortgages available to everyone (even if they should not have one for financial reasons) Certainly the republicans have done no better in seeing all this unfold and just standing by.

Edited by Smike (10/07/08 02:28 PM)

#42493 - 12/30/08 10:46 AM Re: Political Claptrap [Re: Daniel]
oenophore Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Bush didn't even make a trip to Capitol Hill. Yes, he's the lamest of lame ducks.

#42771 - 01/24/09 12:58 PM Re: Political Claptrap [Re: Daniel]
oenophore Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Daniel
 Originally Posted By: mworking
The problem with the bailout as I understand it is that is fits your analogy perfectly. It will do some bailing, and almost nothing to fix the leak!

Lots of other people with a great deal of knowledge say differently. Tom Friedman, for one. Is there reason not to believe him and others? From what I've read, it may indeed help fix the leak, though there are no guarantees.

#42772 - 01/24/09 05:44 PM Re: Political Claptrap [Re: oenophore]
Daniel Offline
veteran

Here's another scathing Tom Friedman assessment by Matt Taibbi. Makes many of the same points at greater length, and fun to read.

As far as the bailout goes, Joe Nocera at the NY Times says today that Paulson had it right the first time with the original TARP plan: buying the bad (or unknown) assets so that banks would have confidence in their balance sheets, freeing them to lend again and encouraging private money to return to the banks.

Page 12 of 12 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored