Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 11 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#4278 - 04/26/02 12:41 PM Palisades
groundhog Offline

Loc: southern NJ
Now I know you cant climb there, but a few weeks back I saw the Palisades for the first time (other than passing by on the GW Bridge). WOW! What a cliff... PIPCom could make a fortune if they charged like Mohonk does...

My question - is there ANY access to the cliffs? Can one boulder, or is off trail use strictly regulated like so many other things managed by PIPCom?

Not to degenerate into a rant, but on the same outing I continued up the Hudson to Storm King - stunning cliff - but every contact I had with PIPCom personnel at a couple of points along the way left me with a distinctly negative impression. Is that a job requirement to work for them? "Must have nasty, unhelpful personality..."

#4279 - 04/26/02 03:22 PM Re: Palisades [Re: groundhog]
KAYLA Offline
addict

Loc: new city, ny
the rock is garbage

#4280 - 04/27/02 07:52 PM Re: Palisades [Re: groundhog]
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

This is a topic that comes up again and again. Like Kyla said, the rock is total crap .

Maybe Evan should add text to the top of the Other Areas sections saying that the Palisades is a choss pile.

#4281 - 04/28/02 10:03 PM Re: Palisades [Re: MarcC]
groundhog Offline

Loc: southern NJ
Total crap... sounds like the rest of NJ! For a south Jersey boy, I was amazed when I saw the cliffs for the first time... had no idea of their commanding visual presence, but did not get to inspect them up close & personal. Guess its hard to beat the gunks locally!.

#4282 - 04/29/02 08:49 PM Re: Palisades [Re: groundhog]
MurphysLaw Offline
gumby

Loc: Hudson Valley, NY
Speaking of Storm King - anybody know how much longer it's gonna be closed due to "potentially unexploded military ordinance" (better known as artillery rounds)
Storm King was a target range dating back to the Civil War. I'd imagine that any rock that took that much abuse for so long would be less than ideal for climbing.

It WAS some great hiking.

I guess I should be happy that none of that "potentially unexploded" stuff decided to detonate while I was hiking by...

#4283 - 04/29/02 09:21 PM Re: Palisades [Re: groundhog]
phil Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Groundhog, don’t even think about it, OK you already have, but now you have to stop.
Many years ago I did some illegal climbing there, and it was a near death experience. Not the route, but the rock.
Like car size rocks that spewed off. Not a good thing.

I didn’t have any issues.

Phil

#4284 - 04/30/02 02:14 AM Re: Palisades [Re: groundhog]
Charlie Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Morristown, N.J.
I grew up on top of the cliffs of the Palisades, Cliffside Park. We used to play and climb there all the time. But it was dangerous because the cliffs are really flaky and crumbling. They do look inpressive coming across the GWB from N.Y. to N.J. I always see a line I'd like to try.

Moderator:  andrew, Mike Rawdon 
Sponsored