Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 7 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10 11 >
Topic Options
#50308 - 01/22/10 07:38 PM Re: Catskill backcountry skiing [Re: franky]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
I would also pack some crampons or at least some YakTrax, as you may find bulletproof snow after the rain freezes again.

#50330 - 01/24/10 01:29 AM Re: Catskill backcountry skiing [Re: chip]
Rickster Offline
old hand

Loc: Orange Cty, NY
Considering the forecast, I'd hold off till next weekend for an over night ski tour in the Catskills. The snow expected later in the week will do a lot to replenish the snow cover after two days of rain. Altitude in the Catskills may not be sufficient enough to offer snow. We just got back from a ski tour of Bear Pen north of Fleishman's. Other than the snowmobiles tracking the route to the summit, it was a fine tour, with a mix of just about everything, wide sled groomed jeep road, tele, tight gullys, survival snow plow and slide slipping, some stride and glide, some bushwhacking and great views to the north. With the afternoon sun, we had some real hero snow not unlike late March corn. However, the coming rain will not help the conditions without some new snow soon after. Otherwise, enjoy your tour. Stay dry. RC

#50405 - 01/28/10 02:52 AM Re: Catskill backcountry skiing [Re: Rickster]
franky Offline

well i did do the two day tour to blm this sun. and mon. and let me tell you i was skiing down, on monday, through a stream of water. the dry brook trail which just one day earlier was really nice, was one big stream. we had to stay on the side in the woods, it was quite challenging. the skin up on sunday, however, was beutiful. we stayed in the leen too, and were really warm....

#50407 - 01/28/10 01:40 PM Re: Catskill backcountry skiing [Re: franky]
Rickster Offline
old hand

Franky, well done. Sounds like you got the complete experience. Welcome to the Catskill BC. If interested in another Catskill overnighter with turns included, check out the Spruceton Trail to the top of Hunter. The John Robb Leanto has been recently rebuilt just below 3500 ft.
This is a premier leanto with great views for breakfast.
Above and below this leanto are some nice runs and the return to the car is one long shot of down. Enjoy the freshies. RC

Edited by Rickster (01/28/10 01:47 PM)

#50433 - 01/31/10 07:28 PM Re: Catskill backcountry skiing [Re: Rickster]
franky Offline

thanks for all the tips! how are the conditions in the cats. now? were the trails patched up yet from mondays rain? i wanna do a day trip soon.

#50435 - 01/31/10 09:56 PM Re: Catskill backcountry skiing [Re: franky]
Rickster Offline
old hand

Nope, word is that the woods are rather thin and crusty. Those peaks with any real snow depth to them, are at least covered in breakable crust. Probably have to head north for any hope of getting any freshies and even that might be difficult at this time. Northern Vermont is getting lake effect again. RC

#50508 - 02/11/10 03:29 AM Re: Catskill backcountry skiing [Re: Rickster]
franky Offline

well how about now? after the, present, future, snow in the cats.
you think im good to go for a day trip in the cats this weekend?
im thinking of doing hunter mtn. what do you day?

#50521 - 02/12/10 10:36 PM Re: Catskill backcountry skiing [Re: franky]
Rickster Offline
old hand

Strong chance we'll be doing same. Western Cats got more snow than eastern side. Bellearye had lots of fresh on the leeward slopes above parking lot elevations, but anything in the wind got blown pretty clean. Oliveira and Phoenicia got maybe a few inches at best after the wind did it's thing. Reports of 6 inches or more were probably based on measurements taken in hidden snow drifts! However, we may be heading up to Spruceton trail head on Sunday. Please post a TR if you go sooner. Enjoy, RC

#50530 - 02/15/10 02:13 AM Re: Catskill backcountry skiing [Re: Rickster]
Rickster Offline
old hand

The Hunter trail up from Spruceton offered up some nice BC skiing today. All but a quarter mile section above the bridge had excellent coverage. That quarter mile above the first switchback was very thin and rocky due to wash outs from last month's big rain. Otherwise, nice freshies to the summit. We had light flurries all day, but the region really needs the 6" forecast for Tuesday. We saw or passed a large number of snowshoers many of whom took the ski lift ride up from Hunter Mtn Ski Bowl. One pair got "lost" taking a wrong turn and hiking downhill toward Rusk Mtn. Once turned around, we offered up some water and food, and got them on the trail back to the ski bowl. Street cloths, no water, no food, no idea! In addition two other skiers and 6 snowshoers, 4 of whom also took the chair. What's it all coming to when even snowshoers are taking the lift?
Hoping for more snow, RC

#50536 - 02/15/10 05:02 PM Re: Catskill backcountry skiing [Re: Rickster]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
My frustration has been all the snow we have in Delaware and really no where to go have an all day BC ski. Guess it could be worse, at least I am getting lots of snowshoeing. Glad to hear the Cats are doing OK and maybe getting better.

Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10 11 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored