Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 9 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#43536 - 03/16/09 11:07 PM Re: Big cat lecture [Re: Mike Rawdon]
danskiz Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Jamestown ny
Mike, that would be logical. But that's why I think it was a once in a lifetime sighting (for this area anyway). The point I was getting at was that you rarely see coyotes or bears here, even though there's a decent population of them, especially coyotes, they're everywhere here. They remain very elusive though. I always see tons of tracks, and hear them howling several times a year (super creepy by the way), but I've never seen one myself except for the one's my game camera has caught (and even those times, I baited them. Basically set my game camera over a gut pile, got some great pictures too!). So it wouldn't surprise me if there were next to no sightings of a cougar if the population is very small.

Yup, my camera goes with me everytime I go hunting now.

#43545 - 03/17/09 02:45 AM Re: Big cat lecture [Re: danskiz]
RangerRob Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ulster County, NY
I think the thing that has brought Yorick to his conclusions is that there is a complete lack of verifiable scientific findings to prove a sighting was indeed a cat. Many, many, many, many, many, many, many (am I making my point here?) people who I am sure truly honestly absolutely believe they saw a cougar have absolutely no hard physical evidence. No pictures of prints with something in the frame for scale, no kill, no roadkill, no scat, no pictures of the animals...nothing. Only the "I'm a lifelong woodsmen and I know my game and I swear to you it was a big cat". I'm sure they thought they saw it, but the evidence does not bear it out. I don't mean to diminish your story Danskiz....that sounds like a wild sight, and I have no doubt it actually happened. Unless you had physical evidence though, it sounds like a bobcat. Did you take pictures of the damage the animal left to the deer hide? Claw or teeth marks? Did you find any solid tracks? If you did find tracks, why didn't you run out to get a camera and come right back? I for one would happy as a pig in poop if verifiable evidence came in showing a resident NY population. It's just not the case.

RR

#43550 - 03/17/09 08:54 AM Re: Big cat lecture [Re: RangerRob]
danskiz Offline
enthusiast

Yup, can't disagree with you at all. I've heard ton's of stories myself, and am very skeptical of most. I don't know my cats, which is why I just said big cat with the one I saw. I don't know how big bobcats get, but the body without the tail was about the same length as the deer. It had a long tail, but what caught me odd was that it was much darker in color than the buck was. It never tore into the buck, just gave it a hell of a shove. It was early bow season, so no tracks there, too dry and too many leaves on the ground. On the other hand, the tracks that I found behind my buddies house I did take a picture of with a quarter in the picture for scale. If I remember right we measured it out at around 4 or 4.25 inches both ways. Those tracks I did say cougar, because based on any track identification books I've seen, the shape and pad marks were definatly a cat, but too big to be be a bobcat. That was probably 3 or 4 years ago, but I'll see if I can't find the pictures, just have to figure out where I filed them!

#43555 - 03/17/09 10:19 AM Re: Big cat lecture [Re: danskiz]
yorick Offline
old hand

Loc: hamlet\'s hand
danskiz,

Yeah, find those pics. 4 to 4.25" would be huge for a cougar track. They are typically an inch smaller. The entire print would fit inside the palm of your hand.

#43557 - 03/17/09 11:38 AM Re: Big cat lecture [Re: yorick]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
Yorick, it sounds like Cougar and Lynx tracks are similar in size, Is there a good way to tell them apart for us non-professionals?

#43558 - 03/17/09 01:00 PM Re: Big cat lecture [Re: chip]
yorick Offline
old hand

Loc: hamlet\'s hand
I'm no pro. Just got a lot of tutoring from pros.

Fur between the toes on lynx tracks can soften the toe and heel impressions, appearing almost like webbing:

http://home.mcn.net/~wtu/tracking.html

And closer to bobcat in size than cougar.

#43570 - 03/17/09 05:00 PM Re: Big cat lecture [Re: yorick]
danskiz Offline
enthusiast

So far it's not looking good. That was 2 computers ago! Since nobody was much interested in them at the time, I may have deleted them. I'll call my buddie tonight (it was at his house we found the tracks), I know we copied them onto his computer, and I really doubt he has got a new computer since than. I'll see if he still has them. Looking through my game cam pics, I did find some good coyote pictures though. One has 5 coyotes in one picture!

#43589 - 03/18/09 03:49 AM Re: Big cat lecture [Re: danskiz]
tokyo bill Offline
old hand

Loc: Tokyo
Post the coyote pic! I live in a concrete wasteland and would love to see them.

#43630 - 03/19/09 01:49 AM Re: Big cat lecture [Re: tokyo bill]
danskiz Offline
enthusiast

Tokyo bill, would do, but how do you put get a picture on? I've never done it on this board, and can't see to figure out how...

#43637 - 03/19/09 04:02 AM Re: Big cat lecture [Re: danskiz]
tokyo bill Offline
old hand

Loc: Tokyo
Aghhh! I'm not much of a computer guy. What I remember doing the last time I tried it was to upload the pic someplace else (my homepage in my case). This gets you a url assigned to the pic, which you can find by right clicking on the pic wherever you uploaded it, hitting "properties" and copying the url. Then I pasted the URL to a post on this forum and bracketed it with [img] in front and [/img] behind (no spaces), and voila.

Let's see if that works with a pic from my red rocks TR (now under construction:

Post preview shows it working.

I think if you don't have anyplace else to upload your pics, you can do it on this site by going through the "Gallery" tab up at the top, but I haven't done this myself, so far as I can recall.

Good luck - I want to see that pic!!

Edited to add: I just visited Gallery" and it does look like you can upload there, although it required me to log in again ("log in" button at the top of the page) before offering me that option.

Edited by tokyo bill (03/19/09 04:14 AM)

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored