Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Elwood54), 10 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#4330 - 04/29/02 07:24 PM Re: Yosemite? [Re: pisena]
andrew Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Denver, CO
i'll probably be there in september for two weeks or so.

#4331 - 04/29/02 11:55 PM Re: Yosemite? [Re: andrew]
Ewick Offline

Loc: Do you mean now
I'm totally psyched, headin' out that way Sept 14-21. Anyone else gonna be that way at that time? and any suggestions on guide books, routes up to 5.9/10ish?

#4332 - 04/30/02 12:13 AM Re: Yosemite? [Re: Ewick]
Anonymous
Unregistered

In terms of climbing guides, "Rock Climbing: Yosemite Free Climbs" is great. You may also want to check out "Rock Climbing: Toulumne Meadows" both by Falcon Publishing/Chockstone. Also check out Supertopo.com for terrific e-guides.

As mentioned in previous posts, you may want to check out my recent Climbing Trip report. I really couldn't recommend Nutcracker (5.8 5-pitch) more -- really a "must" climb while you're in Yosemite. I've also heard good things about The Braille Book (5.8 6-pitches). Unfortunately, despite Chas' recommendation, I was too intimidated to tie into Commitment (5.9 3-pitch). The good news is that you'll have a lot of quality 5.9/5.10 choices.

Of course, I guess it also depends on what you're looking to do. Hopefully, if I get back again later this year, I'll get in some moderate full-day walls such as the East Buttress (5.10c or 5.9 A0 11-pitches) of Middle Cathedral, Royal Arches (5.10b or 5.7 A0 16-pitches) Northeast Buttress of Higher Cathedral (5.9 11-pitches), the South Face (C1 5.8 10-pitches) or the Prow (C2F 5.6 12-pitches) of Washington Column, or the West Face (C2F 5.7 11-pitches) of Leaning Tower. However, I'll need to be in much better shape than I was two weeks ago!!!

I'm sure Chas will have some additional recommendations......

#4333 - 04/30/02 02:02 AM Re: Yosemite? [Re: Ewick]
Charlie Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Morristown, N.J.
Check out SuperTopo.com. You can purchase a couple of different e guide books there that are excellent and inexpensive. You can also get beta from the site on recent triips. It's an excellent site devoted to Yosemite.
Oops, just noticed that Bloody Stump mentioned SuperTopo.com as well.
So let me add that "Yosemite Ultra Classics" is one of the e guides. It is excellent with climbs from 5.6 to 5.11. The topos are really quality.

Edited by Charlie (04/30/02 02:07 AM)

#4334 - 04/30/02 10:51 AM Re: Yosemite?
Eddie Offline
veteran

Loc: NP. NY
the demon is back in my head! i thought i lost the yosemite demon last summer (i was there june-oct it was not that hot!) but it is back! bobbys has been bribing me with thoughts about south seas! oh baby! hey bobby i get the A4 pitch!
i may also do some free climbing this time! :::)))
maybe the lsat few weeks in sept! look for me in camp 5
e

#4335 - 04/30/02 01:36 PM Re: Yosemite? [Re: pisena]
Dizzy Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Berkshires, MA and Ahlington, ...
Yes, Eddie.....I really will be in Yosemite and Tuolumne September 11-22.

Ta,
Dizz

#4336 - 04/30/02 04:03 PM Re: Yosemite? [Re: Dizzy]
ktclimb Offline
addict

Loc: Adirondacks
I will be working in Wawona, giving tours in the giants, for Yosmeite Park Service, from June to August, so please please any of you going out there, wanting a partner, come by and ask for Katie, I will definitely be looking for climbing partners!!!!!!!!! Just stop by and ask for katie ...
:))))

#4337 - 04/30/02 10:40 PM Re: Yosemite? [Re: Dizzy]
Eddie Offline
veteran

Loc: NP. NY
i have heard that before dizzy! we will see.
who is katie?
LOL

#4338 - 04/30/02 11:46 PM Re: Yosemite? [Re: Eddie]
John Peterson Offline

Loc: Gunnision, CO
If you're in Yosemite go look for the climbing ranger, Lincoln Else. He's a great guy and used to be a gunkie. He's also willing to climb with folks on his off days if you ask nice.

John

#4339 - 05/01/02 12:06 AM Re: Yosemite? [Re: John Peterson]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I will be in yosemite the month of august. I guess it will probably be too hot, but i can always head up to tuloumane. If anyone wants a partner, drop me a line.

Hopefully this will be an epic trip for me. I'll just be turning 21, i'm free climbing pretty strongly, and i am basically heading out to this climbing mecca for an apprenticeship! Any mentors out there looking for a humble taoist climbing student? i'll buy you a cup of coffee if you teach me how to pendulum...

my two summer plans are to climb a 5.13 and climb a big wall ... i hope i can accomplish the later in yosemite...

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  andrew, Mike Rawdon 
Sponsored