Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 4 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#4340 - 05/01/02 01:47 AM Re: Yosemite?
Vlad Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Mountain View, CA
Hey, guys, I just checked - they spell itt "Tuolumne"

#4341 - 05/02/02 04:37 AM Re: Yosemite?
BobbyS Offline
enthusiast

Loc: None
Hopefully I will be heading out there for June and July. Not sure what this talk of it being to hot to climb in August. That's nonsense. If there is a record breaking heatwave for a few days, head up to the high country.

Blah, blah, blah, Eddie calls for the A4 pitch. He will probably be calling for the Rubber Man Band pendulumn as well until we get to the base of these pitches, and he is like what, huh, well get up there son, what the hell did I haul you up here in the first place for.

Scratch all that, the real question is whether he will ever actually leave the parking lot. Eddie get off the east buttress. Are you actually psyched for the "Big wall" section of el cap?

#4342 - 05/02/02 01:41 PM Re: Yosemite? [Re: BobbyS]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bobby:

Not sure that you need a "record breaking" heatwave -- the Valley gets damned hot. I was there during the first half of April and it was already getting hot and humid. Also, if you can't take any of our words for it, John Long's books always mention how quiet the Valley gets during the summer as temperatures become untolerable. However, you're right about Toulumne -- it should definately be more comfortable.

As for Eddie,.... who knows.

#4343 - 05/02/02 03:49 PM Re: Yosemite? [Re: BobbyS]
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Bobby:
I agree with the Stump. I've been in the valley several times in July & August. It's hot, dry, dusty, and basically unpleasant. Expect mid to upper 90's for highs with low 100's not at all uncommon. Given the light color and reflective nature of the granite, the effective temp on climbs in the sun can be 110F - 120F. It's true that up on the walls, once you're above 1000' up it can be cooler, but even if you're there to do walls, most of your time won't be in the upper reaches. Cooler is relative, too, and don't underestimate the sun.

You know the place is hot when it's still 85F at 7:30 in the evening.

#4344 - 05/02/02 04:14 PM Re: Yosemite? [Re: MarcC]
Anonymous
Unregistered

It seems I have a talent for stating the obvious to those already in the know.......... BobbyS is very familiar with Yosemite heat: he was formerly a member of YOSAR. Apparently, his post was merely tongue-in-cheek. Sorry.

#4345 - 05/02/02 05:12 PM Re: Yosemite?
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

DOH!
Now you tell me!

#4346 - 05/02/02 05:56 PM Re: Yosemite? [Re: MarcC]
Chas Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Flagstaff
Yosemite can be funny, One year, in May we couldn't drink enough water it was so hot but 3wks later in June, Vlad and I got chased out of the Valley for a day because of snow. It can be 90-100degrees or a more pleasant 80degrees.

#4347 - 05/02/02 06:20 PM Re: Yosemite? [Re: Chas]
ktclimb Offline
addict

Loc: Adirondacks
it does get pretty hot there in the later summer months...we did our two walls in August last summer, and we fried up there like eggs in a frying pan, as eddie used to say...
but the nice thing about it was, we had the walls to ourselves....eveyone else was smart enough to flee the valley.....
Thanks for the tip about Lincoln, I have emailed him a few times, and I will be bugging him more as the time comes....

#4348 - 05/02/02 09:58 PM Re: Yosemite? [Re: ktclimb]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I climb in the Valley probably 8-10 times a year. I usually don't go between July and August. It's too damn hot. This is the perfect time. You should just hop on the plane now. Spring is also nice because the Valley is relatively empty with respects to non-climbing tourists. You can actually get a table at the Pizza Deck this time of year without waiting! Woohoooo! The only problem with April and May is the weather changes quite a bit. It can snow, be scorching hot, thunderstorms, you name it and probably in a 24 hour period.

Oh ya. The waterfalls are really nice this time of year. You won't get that in the summer and fall.

#4349 - 05/02/02 11:31 PM Re: Yosemite? [Re: BobbyS]
Eddie Offline
veteran

Loc: NP. NY
el cap has BIG WALLS????? i never knew! i should have left the E buttress!
it is not that hot in the valley in summer....scratch that!!!! IT IS WAAAAAYYYYYY TOOO HOT TO CLIMB!!!! stay home, go to work and pay your taxes!

eddie
bobby i bring you along so you can carry the pig down the east ledges......NO not that girl you picked up at the bar!!!! the PIG! duh! the haul bag! what was her name???????

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  andrew, Mike Rawdon 
Sponsored