Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 10 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#4350 - 05/03/02 04:42 AM Re: Yosemite? [Re: Eddie]
crackers Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: pdx
berta. her name was berta!

#4351 - 05/03/02 04:42 AM Re: Yosemite? [Re: Eddie]
crackers Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: pdx
did you get her email ed?
or does jen have it? Larry? does jen have it?

#4352 - 05/03/02 04:47 PM Re: Yosemite? [Re: crackers]
BobbyS Offline
enthusiast

Loc: None
Whose email are you talking about. Not a chance I would pass along Berta's email so that she can get harassing emails from weak, american, little boy climbers. For now, you will just have to be satisfied with the shot in the gallery section. Although, in Eddie's case that scares me a little.

Back to the hot issue. It is all relative and you get used to the heat. I was there June July August, 2 summers ago and June to Nov. this season. I like the summer because it is more quite. Not so many people on the walls or most of the great free routes. Come Sept. expect to find people waiting in line with their haul bags on the trade routes.

Sept is the best month, but I climb in the valley all through those months. Bubu, the Italian Stalion was on freerider when we were on the Salathe in Oct, and he still felt like it was to hot, while Alex was up on the Captain all sept. and finished his route. Climbing walls at night is another nice alternative.

Even when it is really hot you can find stuff in the shade. The river will always be cool and refreshing. Agree that the weather is more unstable in the spring but often better temps. Better waterfalls then as well. Agree with finding a place at the pizza deck without waiting.

#4353 - 05/03/02 05:43 PM Re: Yosemite? [Re: MarcC]
Bolt_Skytop Offline
addict

Loc: New Paltz, New York
I am a teacher so my choices are in the simmer or not at all. What do you think? Should I look for alternatives? Squamish? I really would like to live in camp four for two months, but if the climbing is going to be miserable.......

#4354 - 05/03/02 06:04 PM Re: Yosemite? [Re: Bolt_Skytop]
Chas Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Flagstaff
No, the climbing will be good, and Tuolumne is awesome (and the camping near Ellery Lake free!!!

I would do both. On the way back stop off in Squish, the climbing is VERY clean , and incredibly good (with Exasperator, Clean Crack, and Crime of the Century, along with the Grand Wall, not to be missed).

#4355 - 05/03/02 08:38 PM Re: Yosemite? [Re: Chas]
BobbyS Offline
enthusiast

Loc: None
I lived in Camp IV the last two summer. Squamish would be great but one issue is the weather can be pretty bad. It rains quite a bit. It almost never rains in the valley during the summer. I think it rained maybe once from July to August. It was for maybe 10min and the rock was dry 1hr later.

#4356 - 05/04/02 11:09 PM Re: Yosemite? [Re: pisena]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Cool. I just got a grant to do independent research out in California this summer, which means a bit of climbing too. I'll be based out of Arcata on the weekends, but I will have to head down to the valley. If any of ya'll are interested, give me an email and we can climb. So psyched.....

#4357 - 05/11/02 09:00 PM Re: Yosemite? [Re: pisena]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am planning on driving to California sometime in the next few weeks. Anyone interested in sharing/driving/expenses and climbing please respond. I just came back from one month climbing in j.tree. I am personable, and interested in doing moderate climbs.Will consider other area along the way as well.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  andrew, Mike Rawdon 
Sponsored