Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 14 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#4358 - 04/29/02 03:46 AM Sandia Mtns - Albuquerque, NM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Gunks family,
It is my solemn duty to report that I will be leaving the North-East for good around the end of May. However, during my travels this summer, I am going to be working in Albuquerque, NM and living at the base of the Sandia Mountains. I recently picked up a guide book for the area and am astounded at the possibilities. I will be new to the area so I figure a climbing partner will be hard to come by. If anyone is headed that way this summer and would be interested in climbing throw me a PM.

I should be there for the entire month of August and part of September. I'm looking for someone with some long route experience (Grade IV at least), and can climb 5.10ish on trad. Maybe we can hit the gunks a time or two before I take off.

Also, if anyone has climbed there I'd love to hear any recommendations and other info like how grades compare, ascent trails and fun bars in the area. Thanks.

climb on,
ryan

#4359 - 04/29/02 01:57 PM Re: Sandia Mtns - Albuquerque, NM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I climbed Mountain Mama on Torreon a few weeks ago. It was a tremendous route and compares favorably with Caveat Emptor or Third Pillar of Dana in terms of quality. I found the 5.10 rating pretty standard. Most of the route is fairly consistent in difficulty with two or three distinct cruxes.

We took the tram and started climbing around 11 am. It was still daylight when we returned to my friends house in Albuquerque.

I also recommend Warpy Moople on Muralla Grande and Avery Orts which is on a formation opposite Torreon that I think is called the Thumb.

#4360 - 05/01/02 01:12 AM Re: Sandia Mtns - Albuquerque, NM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Cochiti Mesa is a absoloute must ! ! !
That is one of the coolest places in the US to climb at and only very few people know about it.
There is a guide available and If you are into Sport climbing from 5.10 on up you will have a blast. Get a car with high ground clearance though, the ride from the road to the actual area is some pretty rough terrain for NY standards. the 2.5 miles take about 30 to 40 minutes in a Jeep but it is totally worth it.
You will see. Have fun!!

#4361 - 05/01/02 04:16 PM Re: Sandia Mtns - Albuquerque, NM
andrew Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Denver, CO
Ah, Cochiti Mesa - home of the softest ratings on the planet. I felt great onsighting 10s and 11s left and right there, and then was taken to school on a 5.9 on Devils Tower.

Moderator:  andrew, Mike Rawdon 
Sponsored