Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 7 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#45345 - 06/05/09 11:13 PM Re: Changed again [Re: oenophore]
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: oenophore
It will look ok on the post screen. It will look ok on the preview screen. Submit it and see the text truncated at that punctuation mark.

Which strongly suggests not UBB Threads but something with the underlying mySQL db.

#45350 - 06/06/09 12:01 PM Re: Changed again [Re: MarcC]
oenophore Online   confused
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land
I suspect that the shoutbox spillover problem lies in this HTML source code:

<table width="100%" class="t_outer" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0">
<tr>
<td>
<table width="100%" class="t_inner" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="1"><tr>
<td class="lefttdheader">
Shout Box</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td class="leftalt-1">
<div id="shout_box" style="height:300px; width: 100%; overflow:auto;">
<div id="shout_content" style="height: 336px;">
</div>
</div>
<form name="shoutbox" method="post" action="" onsubmit="shoutit();return false;">
<div align="center">
<span id="shout_field">
<input type="text" name="shoutbody" size="15" class="form-input" maxlength="255" value="" />
</span>
<span id="sending_field" style="display:none">
Sending...
</span>
<br />
<input type="button" name="shoutbutton" value="Shout" class="form-button" onclick="shoutit()" />
<input type="reset" value="Reset" class="form-button" />
</form>
</td>
</tr>
</table>
</td>
</tr>
</table>

#45351 - 06/06/09 03:23 PM Re: Changed again [Re: oenophore]
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

For the sake of sanity, we should probably have a separate thread for each individual bug.

#45375 - 06/08/09 02:53 PM Re: Changed again [Re: chazman]
Doug Offline

Originally Posted By: chazman
Originally Posted By: MarcC
Originally Posted By: chazman
The header is way too tall... and it's a winter scene??? Did I somehow miss summer and fall \09?

Images rotate with each page load. There are at least 10, probably more.

Too tall would depend on your monitor and browser window size - at least it does the excellent photos justice.

I guess I mean taller than 99.9% of most banners out there. As for monitor... most new monitors seem to be wider and not as tall (especially laptops... it seems everything wants to be HD aspect ratio) so those tall pics take up way too much real estate (in my opinion). I guess it would be cool if it were a near unlimited mix of photos but I seem to see the same few all the time.

I still think the banner is way too big. It goes against any sane site usability guidelines I've ever seen. The most popular resolution out there is currently 1024x768. the banner is 250 pixels tall. Even with the browser window full screen, this banner, plus the 150-200 pixels taken by the browser menu/tabs/status bar and the OS application bar means the actual content starts more than halfway down the browser window. The content is supposed to be the important part, not the picture. Host the pictures in a gallery for those that want to look at them. while nice, I really don't care about seeing any photo that often, and having to scroll past it on every page just to get to what I want to see. Minor effort, yes, but these little things add up to a poor user experience.

The big banner is less geared towards usability than having a snazzy looking page. A site should not hinder function for form.

Edit: Also, note that mobile devices are becoming more popular, and screen size will go down with those devices. I really don't want to see that banner when I am loading the site from my phone...

Edited by Doug (06/08/09 02:55 PM)

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored