Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 28 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#43902 - 04/01/09 11:14 PM Re: Summary of our last year's activities. [Re: Dillbag]
yorick Offline
old hand

Loc: hamlet's hand
And what's wrong with doing your homework and keeping the backcrags word-of-mouth?

#43903 - 04/02/09 01:32 AM Re: Summary of our last year's activities. [Re: yorick]
empicard Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: LI, NY
why do the "backcrags" need to be word of mouth?
I need to guess if certain spots are legit?
or trust the guy telling me?
how many times have I heard "well, I think its kosher, but its ok, we won't get harassed"???
I'd rather know for a fact that a particular area is legal and climbable, and another is off limits.

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

#43904 - 04/02/09 02:13 AM Re: Summary of our last year's activities. [Re: empicard]
phlan Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Gardiner, NY
I recall, some years ago, asking a very long time local
about a certain ice climbing spot.
he said, its cool, no problem, so we went there.
well guess what the landowner got really pissed.
there are very good reasons for having a list of "open" "closed"
and "uncertain."
route information is another story, and we don't intend to
go there.

#43907 - 04/02/09 02:38 PM Re: Summary of our last year's activities. [Re: phlan]
Smike Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: in your backyard
As far as making any public cliff list you can only really deal with the areas that are cliffs on public land with clear indications from that public land holders as to current access

Examples:

Mohonk Preserve land = Climbing allowed with clear rules set fourth

Sams Point Preserve land = Climbing not allowed

Cliffs that are on private properly are almost 99% going to be a grey area and a slippery slope. As land owners that do allow or tolerate climbing rarely state these intentions in writing (and for good reasons such as legal issues etc) So making any kind of document listing these areas could create a big issue. (Even if you state access unknown, or closed)

Although places like the Rosendale Cave, and AI wall were climbing activity in the past is no secret and present owners do not allow or wish to allow it may be welcome to any document that is passed around to climbers stating that access is closed. But how to do tell these from others? Each situation with each private land owner I feel must be handled individually and making public some document trying to pull all this together might not be a good idea. (At least in regards to cliffs on private property)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Jannette, phlan, webmaster 
Sponsored