Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 9 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#43818 - 03/26/09 05:28 PM Summary of our last year's activities.
phlan Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Gardiner, NY
This is already on our web page and on our Facebook page.

To all of our dear Friends, and Supporters.

Before the start of the current 2009 climbing season it is past time to summarize our last years' activities. Better late than never, so the saying goes!

The Mohonk Preserve experienced a theft of rescue equipment valued at 10,000 dollars last year. The thieves stole the titanium litter that we donated in 2007, along with the bulk of the items in the main rescue cache.

In order to help make up most of the sum not covered by insurance, our rescue fund will contribute a good portion of the remainder so that new rescue equipment can be purchased. Thanks to all who contributed to the Rescue Fund, we got some very generous donations. We try to acknowledge at least some of the donations and some times take some time actually depositing them, since we are a very small all-volunteer organization. If you did not get an acknowledgement and need one for tax purposes, please let us know and we will send one to you. We greatly appreciate all donations.

Part of our contribution will be covered by a non-solicited grant which we have written and submitted to the Rivendell Foundation, once that is received.

We plan on also making another significant contribution in 2009 to our valued Gardiner volunteer fire department, who have always cooperated with the climbing community where climber rescue is concerned. We also wish to raise awareness among all climbing users that the rock climbing takes place in Gardiner rather than New Paltz, and that the limited resources of the Gardiner Fire and Rescue are significantly strained by the (unfortunately) increasing need for climber rescue.

We've also been continuing work the Rosendale bouldering area project "Water Works" as we have been doing since 2005/2006. Negotiations with the town of Rosendale, the Mohonk Preserve, and Open Space Institute have been positive. We are happy to report excellent progress and that we will be required to raise a considerable sum in order to finalize the land acquisition. After the next stage in the process we will announce the amount that we need and we can already report that we have a substantial sum amounting to one quarter of this amount in our coffers.

Of course it was a matter of great honor for us to be the recipient of the Mohonk Preserve's Thom Scheuer Memorial Stewardship Award this last fall at the New Paltz Climbing Film Festival. It was a validation of our efforts so far, and will spur us on to increase our efforts and efficient operation in the future.

It was also our pleasure to host donuts and coffee on the weekend of the Fall Film Festival at the Trapps Bridge entrance. We got to meet many of our supporters, friends and new faces and had a lot of fun. We also raised a good amount of money toward our various projects.

Our events this year were very well received and successful. This included slide shows by Michael Kodas, our usual cleanup at Peter's Kill, a garbage pickup from the Mountain Deli all the way to the hairpin turn on 44/55, and sponsoring a chalk clean up. A fun get together was had after the chalk clean up. We also sponsored free pizza at the Vulgarian Roundtable at Rock and Snow during reunion weekend.

News about Minnewaska is that the present Park Management is very receptive to opening new climbing areas. The new Management Plan is being drafted. We will work together with Minnewaska and also consult the Access Fund as this is progresses. We are optimistic that at least some climbing areas can be opened, but that at the same time we must keep in mind the present budget crisis that New York State is facing and that this could impact things as this goes along.

We expect the coming year to also be a busy one in light of all the above. Our events planning is well under way and we have some really great ones in the works that we are excited about. More on this soon!

Another piece of news is that our super-webmama, Jannette Pazer, has put together our very own Facebook page. Please visit us by searching "Gunks Climbers Coalition" on Facebook and become a fan to get all of our blow-by-blow, minute by minute updates. We hope that this can become a much better venue of communication between us and you than anything we have had in the past. Of course we will still maintain our web page, as well as continuing news flashes, and the occasional Newsletter. The Newsletter has now involved as a forum for poetry, photography and art by the talented climbing community. Please send your submissions to us via our contact info on our web site as we will be coming out with another newsletter this year, thanks to our very talented Ms. France Menk.

To all of you, best wishes for a good climbing season and see you at the cliff in the coming year.

Thanks for your continued support and good karma.

- The GCC board of directors and your Access Fund regional coordinator, Chris Moratz - Gardiner, NY

#43823 - 03/26/09 07:38 PM Re: Summary of our last year's activities. [Re: phlan]
keith Offline
journeyman

Loc: The beach
Bonticou has been closed????? When and why did this happen?

#43829 - 03/27/09 03:44 AM Re: Summary of our last year's activities. [Re: keith]
Jannette Online   content

Cliffmama
Pooh-Bah

Please note that the Bonticou reference was for the AI Wall only.

Jannette

#43833 - 03/27/09 02:52 PM Re: Summary of our last year's activities. [Re: Jannette]
Dillbag Offline
old hand

Loc: "The Town"
Thanks Jannette!

#43834 - 03/27/09 03:40 PM Re: Summary of our last year's activities. [Re: Dillbag]
Dillbag Offline
old hand

Cross-posting this so it's also in the GCC forum...

Originally Posted By: Dillbag
Thanks for the clarification on that!

This got me thinking...

And it would be good to see a list of all major crags in the Gunks region and where access issues stand... If they are good, what is being done by GCC to keep it that way, if they are bad what is being done to improve relations, and if they are closed what is being done to try and gain or regain access...

This would be beneficial for several reasons;
* One, it would let all of us out here know what's cool to climb on and what's not (yes, most of us know already)...
* Two, it would give us some concrete info on how the GCC is organizing it's effors...
* And, Three, it would give us the ability to volunteer our efforts towards a particular crag or parcel that we might personally be more interested in...

Example, I for one am pleased the bouldering project is going so well, but... I really don't give a crap about bouldering. I would be much more likely to help out with opening access to say Gertrude's Nose or Sam's Point.

Could be an excel chart or something along those lines... The GCC could use online polling based on the information to see where the general climbing population is interested in focusing effors...

Something to think about.

#43856 - 03/29/09 02:18 PM Re: Summary of our last year's activities. [Re: Dillbag]
Kent Offline
old hand

Loc: The Bayards
Chris, perhaps you could summarize for us the status of GCC relationships with independent landowners in the Near Trapps, The Bayards, and Millbrook.

What has the GCC done in the last year to establish or improve relationships with these landowners who collectively own hundreds of thousands of square feet of trad climbing cliff face?

Edited by Kent (03/29/09 04:04 PM)

#43860 - 03/29/09 07:58 PM Re: Summary of our last year's activities. [Re: Kent]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
C'mon Kent. Again?

#43863 - 03/29/09 11:43 PM Re: Summary of our last year's activities. [Re: chip]
Kent Offline
old hand

Loc: The Bayards
Hi Chip,

As long as Chris et alia are summarizing, they should summarize it all. And, the climbing community, myself included, can reasonably expect an explanation of their conduct vis-a-vis the GCC relationship, or lack thereof, with independent landowners at the aforementioned crags.

Kent

#43871 - 03/30/09 12:47 PM Re: Summary of our last year's activities. [Re: Kent]
phlan Offline

Carpal Tunnel

I think it's a very good idea to put together such a summary, we have discussed doing this in the past, and we will do it.
we want to do it right, and this might take a little while, but expect to see this soon.

I agree that everyone can expect to hear explanations on whatever we are doing, and that transparency is paramount. I plan on working toward this to the best of my ability.

#43874 - 03/30/09 02:16 PM Re: Summary of our last year's activities. [Re: phlan]
Dillbag Offline
old hand

Thanks!

I am looking forward to the list...

#43902 - 04/01/09 11:14 PM Re: Summary of our last year's activities. [Re: Dillbag]
yorick Offline
old hand

Loc: hamlet\'s hand
And what's wrong with doing your homework and keeping the backcrags word-of-mouth?

#43903 - 04/02/09 01:32 AM Re: Summary of our last year's activities. [Re: yorick]
empicard Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: LI, NY
why do the "backcrags" need to be word of mouth?
I need to guess if certain spots are legit?
or trust the guy telling me?
how many times have I heard "well, I think its kosher, but its ok, we won't get harassed"???
I'd rather know for a fact that a particular area is legal and climbable, and another is off limits.

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

#43904 - 04/02/09 02:13 AM Re: Summary of our last year's activities. [Re: empicard]
phlan Offline

Carpal Tunnel

I recall, some years ago, asking a very long time local
about a certain ice climbing spot.
he said, its cool, no problem, so we went there.
well guess what the landowner got really pissed.
there are very good reasons for having a list of "open" "closed"
and "uncertain."
route information is another story, and we don't intend to
go there.

#43907 - 04/02/09 02:38 PM Re: Summary of our last year's activities. [Re: phlan]
Smike Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: in your backyard
As far as making any public cliff list you can only really deal with the areas that are cliffs on public land with clear indications from that public land holders as to current access

Examples:

Mohonk Preserve land = Climbing allowed with clear rules set fourth

Sams Point Preserve land = Climbing not allowed

Cliffs that are on private properly are almost 99% going to be a grey area and a slippery slope. As land owners that do allow or tolerate climbing rarely state these intentions in writing (and for good reasons such as legal issues etc) So making any kind of document listing these areas could create a big issue. (Even if you state access unknown, or closed)

Although places like the Rosendale Cave, and AI wall were climbing activity in the past is no secret and present owners do not allow or wish to allow it may be welcome to any document that is passed around to climbers stating that access is closed. But how to do tell these from others? Each situation with each private land owner I feel must be handled individually and making public some document trying to pull all this together might not be a good idea. (At least in regards to cliffs on private property)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Jannette, phlan, webmaster 
Sponsored