Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 11 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 ... 13 14 >
Topic Options
#43967 - 04/08/09 01:14 PM Cliff Closure
Kent Offline
old hand

Loc: The Bayards

#43968 - 04/08/09 01:37 PM Re: Cliff Closure [Re: Kent]
ianmanger Offline
enthusiast

Kent, I'm sure this has been done to death, but can you please clarify the consequences for those of us who haven't been following this unfortunate development? The post mentions Eeenie Meanie. How much of the rest of the Nears is now off limits?

#43969 - 04/08/09 01:53 PM Re: Cliff Closure [Re: ianmanger]
Kent Offline
old hand

Hi Ian,

It's a relatively short piece of cliff from Eenie Meenie extending down the cliff for about 150'. The best way to get to the end of the Nears now is to walk out the Millbrook Ridge Trail to the descent route at the end of the Nears. The rest of the climbing currently closed is in the Bayards where few are inclined to venture anyway.

K

#43970 - 04/08/09 02:03 PM Re: Cliff Closure [Re: Kent]
ianmanger Offline
enthusiast

Thanks. Could you give an approximate location, climb-wise for the other end of the closure? Am I correct from your note that access along the cliff base through the closed section is no longer possible. To get the Eastertime area, for example, do I have to go all the way to the end?

#43972 - 04/08/09 02:10 PM Re: Cliff Closure [Re: ianmanger]
Kent Offline
old hand

Quote:
Thanks. Could you give an approximate location, climb-wise for the other end of the closure?

I don't have a climb name. It's clearly marked though.

Quote:
Am I correct from your note that access along the cliff base through the closed section is no longer possible.

That is correct.

Quote:
To get the Eastertime area, for example, do I have to go all the way to the end?

I'm afraid so. Either that or rap in from above.

#43973 - 04/08/09 02:11 PM Re: Cliff Closure [Re: Kent]
quanto_the_mad Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: brooklyn
Originally Posted By: Kent
The best way to get to the end of the Nears now is to walk out the Millbrook Ridge Trail to the descent route at the end of the Nears.
K

No, that would be the *legal* way to get to the end of the Nears, not necessarily the "best" way.

Edited by quanto_the_mad (04/08/09 02:13 PM)

#43974 - 04/08/09 02:14 PM Re: Cliff Closure [Re: Kent]
ianmanger Offline
enthusiast

Thanks for the clarification. Too bad.

#43975 - 04/08/09 02:15 PM Re: Cliff Closure [Re: quanto_the_mad]
Kent Offline
old hand

Quant, that's precisely the attitude that has precipitated the closure.

#43976 - 04/08/09 02:20 PM Re: Cliff Closure [Re: Kent]
quanto_the_mad Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: brooklyn
And your attitude isn't any better, assuming I was advocating trespass.

I think the "best" way is to rent a plane and parachute in.

#43977 - 04/08/09 02:21 PM Re: Cliff Closure [Re: Kent]
redtag Offline
journeyman

for the record kent - i'd have a lot more respect for your opinion if you dropped all of the transparent bullshit about rights and principles and just came out and told everyone what this is really about - MONEY

you want MONEY - maybe not now, but you want more MONEY for your property somewhere down the line...

i'll grant you that you allude to this, but you always couch it in terms of some sort of grander pretense...i call bullshit

you're greedy, the preserve is greedy, climbers are greedy...we all want what we cant have - in your case its grown more and more obvious that this is money in the form of property value...the preserve could have licked your feet and bought you candy, moratz and the gcc could have wined and dined, but in the end this isnt about anything other than good ole dollar signs

also for the record i'll tell you that i'm also not much of a fan of the gcc and i too have been suspect of the preserves methods from time time...but none of it makes your actions any less distasteful

access is generally hard to come by, and once its lost its harder to get back - you do all climbers everywhere a disservice with all of this...

be honest - its about money - so just put up a donations box on a tree near your land and the land of the other supposedly disenchanted landowners and call it done...you've made your point...

you're process is no more the high road than the preserves

sad days when climbers are f*#king other climbers in the ass over a few bucks

steve schwortz - west coast gunks irregulars

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 ... 13 14 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored