Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Rickster), 5 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#44453 - 05/05/09 05:11 PM Hiking Trip: Suggestions? Info?
Clmbr121 Offline
stranger

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
First, let me apologize in advance if there is already a topic thread up that answers these questions. If such threads exist, if you can just point me in the right direction, that would be great.

In about 2 weeks, some friends and I are heading up there for the weekend. Most of us will be climbing (weather permitting), but a couple of the guys are not climbers and are looking to take in some of the trails.

A few questions, as I am not familiar with the hiking up there:

1) Does anyone have any trail suggestions, or a suggestion for a good guide book?

2)What is the day fee for hikers? I know it's $15 for climbing, but for some reason I have it in my head that it is less for hikers.

Thanks in advance for any help!

- Brian

#44458 - 05/06/09 01:32 AM Re: Hiking Trip: Suggestions? Info? [Re: Clmbr121]
webmaster Offline

veteran

Loc: New Paltz (Kerhonkson, actuall...
I'm not sure the type of hike to recommend. I'd need to know how long they want to be out and what kind of environment these people would appreciate. Hike in the Gunks tend to be day hikes in areas where there are more people around and in more \"developed\" terrain. I'm inclined to recommend that your friends head a little further north to the Catskills for some more remote hikes with stunning views. Don't get me wrong, the Gunks have beautiful hiking. But when I'm going for an all day hike, I head to the Catskills.

-em

#44477 - 05/06/09 10:43 PM Re: Hiking Trip: Suggestions? Info? [Re: webmaster]
Clmbr121 Offline
stranger

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
Well, the guys (two of them) are the only non-climbers in a group of about 10 people who are heading up there to camp for the weekend, so pretty much what you described is what they are looking for. They need something to do for the day, and neither of them are avid hikers, so they wouldn't be looking for anything too strenuous.

#44478 - 05/06/09 11:12 PM Re: Hiking Trip: Suggestions? Info? [Re: Clmbr121]
webmaster Offline

veteran

Loc: New Paltz (Kerhonkson, actuall...
In that case, I think a hike in Minnewaska State Park would be a good choice. Gertrude's Nose or Millbrook Mountain or both are a nice day's journey. They could actually leave from where the rest of you are climbing and hike over to Minnewaska. Check out the maps of the NY/NJ Trail Conference. They're just what you need.

#44488 - 05/07/09 05:40 PM Re: Hiking Trip: Suggestions? Info? [Re: webmaster]
charliebutters Offline
addict

Loc: accord
bonticou crag from spring farm trailhead is a very rewarding hike which can be done rather easily and quickly, if you wanna make it a bit more interesting take the ascent path to the top.....looks like a scramble feels more like stairs.

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored