Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 12 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 4 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 11 >
Topic Options
#44671 - 05/15/09 11:43 AM Re: NEW GCC ELECTIONS [Re: Jannette]
Kent Offline
old hand

Loc: The Bayards
Thanks for the added info Jannette. Not publishing people's home addresses is certainly understandable. A more public facility, rather than someone's home, would allow for publishing the location, and it might facilitate greater participation. Have you considered the new Gardiner Town Library? Ajax, no doubt, knows who to contact.

Are any of you going to explain why you've stayed on for more than a year and a half after the end of your elected terms and why elections were not held in October of 2007?

#44673 - 05/15/09 11:51 AM Re: NEW GCC ELECTIONS [Re: tallgirlnyc]
Kent Offline
old hand

Originally Posted By: tallgirlnyc
The GCC put up blazes guiding climbers down through Smeade's cove immediately after the "cliff closure" in the Nears. That seemed like a very quick and effective response to me.

It's too bad that was necessary though, eh?

From the Access Fund website "It's much more effective to work with landowners, land managers, and other user groups before a situation reaches the crisis stage."

#44675 - 05/15/09 12:05 PM Re: NEW GCC ELECTIONS [Re: Kent]
Jgreene Offline

Chris M,

Why is the GCC actively trying to open up access to some private crags but leaving the nice folks at Cereus way alone. Why are you so adament about not gaining access to this cliff?

#44678 - 05/15/09 12:10 PM Re: NEW GCC ELECTIONS [Re: Kent]
Fraser Offline
old hand

Loc: New Canaan, CT
Originally Posted By: Kent
Fraser,

On numerous occasions and in numerous ways I've asked the GCC to reach out to landowners. As the GC hasn't done so for the last four years I figured none of you were much interested in what I have to say. Indeed I haven't attended a GCC meeting since CM walked out while I was talking at our only meeting about this years ago now.

Certainly other more active climbers might just drop by if they were to know where the meeting is being held. Is having enough dip more important than making it easy for people to participate? Make the meeting sites public information. If you really want to draw more people in consider holding them somewhere other than people's houses. How about R&S?

As for the rescue cache, I'm sure you will recall the $500 offer was for a reward. Did someone provide information resulting in an arrest and conviction? If so, I'm unaware. I'll go to the bank for the cash tomorrow to be given to whoever provided the info resulting in conviction. Just lemme know by pm.

And what of the the lack of members and elections? No comment?

I apologize this time Kent, I thought you were serious about making a contribution.

What did you think the likelihood of your offer being taken up was?

#44679 - 05/15/09 12:16 PM Re: NEW GCC ELECTIONS [Re: Fraser]
Jgreene Offline

Dana,

Why duck the lack of members and elections question? Kent is good for the cash I can assure you if the conditions are met.

#44680 - 05/15/09 12:18 PM Re: NEW GCC ELECTIONS [Re: Jgreene]
Jgreene Offline

Jannette,

Since you are viewing this thread why not answer the above question about elections?

#44682 - 05/15/09 12:25 PM Re: NEW GCC ELECTIONS [Re: Fraser]
Kent Offline
old hand

Fraser,

I was serious and still am. Conviction equals reward. What did you not understand about that? At the time I made that offer, immediately after the theft, I was hopeful someone would take me up on it, and that the rescue gear might be recovered.

At one point you asked if I would make a donation in lieu of the reward and I didn't respond. Again, what did you not understand? If my memory is failing me and I did somewhere offer to convert the reward to a donation, quote me and I'll make good by forking over the cash.

And dwelling on this seems like you are just distracting people away from the point of this thread. Despite the obnoxiousness of the OP, he posts a reasonable question. Why have there been no GCC elections since October of 2005?

#44686 - 05/15/09 02:16 PM Re: NEW GCC ELECTIONS [Re: Jgreene]
pedestrian Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: a heavily fortified bunker!
Originally Posted By: Jgreene
Ped,

Ease up bro, I had no idea you you were trying to move in on Annie. Anyway I'm getting quite the support in the PM department, even from some GCC folks, so if you hate me I'm ok with it. By the way I'm more of an A-hole than you will ever know.

Shows what you know... LOL!

Anyway, nothing personal, but I think you're gay.

Edited by pedestrian (05/15/09 02:18 PM)
Edit Reason: fix [quote] bracket

#44687 - 05/15/09 02:32 PM Re: NEW GCC ELECTIONS [Re: Kent]
chip Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
I have served on the board of our neighborhoos pool for many years and thought the similarity to GCC striking. While many use the pool it is always a very small number who care enough to do the grunt work. We have not ever filled every board position. I loved it when asked how much I got payed as president. In addition to paying full dues, I got to put in an extra 10-25 hours of work each week through the entire spring to get everything working. Much of it was manual labor. No pity party, just history.
The difference is that when we offer yearly elections and gripers usually don't want anything to do with the actual work. They then go away. I think I understand why the GCC is structured the way it is but encourage them to consider bi-yearly elections, even if it is just to re-elect the same people each time.

#44688 - 05/15/09 02:54 PM Re: NEW GCC ELECTIONS [Re: chip]
dalguard Offline
veteran

Loc: CT
If the only people who are allowed to have an opinion about how an organization works are the ones willing to do the work themselves, then it's not very representational. For instance, I can want to elect a new Senator without having the desire to be a Senator or have any part in running our government.

My concern about the GCC is that it's not representational and I've been saying that all along. If it's just a bunch of locals doing their own thing, that's their business, but theoretically it's the local Access Fund affiliate. I'm a staunch Access Fund supporter but the Access Fund's endorsement of this group of locals who seem to mainly represent their own interests is frustrating to me. I don't much care whether the GCC lives, dies, or is reborn, but I do wish the Access Fund wasn't holding them up as my local representative when they have nothing to do with me.

Page 4 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 11 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored