Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 9 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 119 of 342 < 1 2 ... 117 118 119 120 121 ... 341 342 >
Topic Options
#36424 - 04/10/08 02:03 PM Re: Guess the route [Re: RangerRob]
core Offline
enthusiast

I think the minty rap anchor may have been a little easier, because of all the discussions revolving around the accident that occurred last year. (which, IIRC, occurred not long after I took this picture.)

That also reminds me...Last year I saw a young woman at this belay with her pants down taking a leak - all over the route below. WTF, it's not as if embarking on a gunks route is an all day affair...Try planning next time.

#36425 - 04/10/08 02:46 PM Re: Guess the route [Re: Dillbag]
rg@ofmc Online   content
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Poughkeepsie, NY
 Quote:
The perspective on that photo hurts my eyes...

What, you have a problem with an entire forest growing horizontally out of a vertical "floor?" Just rotate yer monitor 90 degrees to see the "real" picture.

I do it myself, but aren't we all a little tired of climbing pictures rotated 90 or even more commonly 180 degrees to create a vertiginous effect that exists only in the mind of the photographer?

#36426 - 04/10/08 02:56 PM Re: Guess the route [Re: core]
Julie Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: SoCal
For some, one Gunks route *is* an all-day affair, or at least many hours. It happens.

FWIW - my general observation is that men have less, uh, bladder endurance than women. Of course, anyone peeing on a cliff needs to look for the spot of least impact.

Thanks for reviving this thread!

#36429 - 04/10/08 04:02 PM Re: Guess the route [Re: RangerRob]
AOR Offline
enthusiast

Originally Posted By: RangerRob
Ya'll need to put a twist on this theme. It seems gunkies are pretty damned good at identifying pictures of routes. What someone needs to do is run along the top of the cliff and take pictures of the topouts. I gaurantee the success rate will plummet. Ever been walking along top looking for the top of a specific route? This is the skill we should be testing.

RR

Maybe, but the fun is looking at the route and trying to guess. It would get boring real fast by looking toward New Paltz from the top of the cliff in every photo.

#36433 - 04/10/08 05:08 PM Re: Guess the route [Re: rg@ofmc]
Frank Florence Offline
addict

Loc: moved to Bend
 Quote:
...to create a vertiginous effect that exists only in the mind of the photographer?

Careful with your accusations, RG! In my own mind, I've led up some pretty dizzyingly overhung slab routes. Must be the Heroic Configuration of my middle ear.

#36435 - 04/10/08 05:37 PM Re: Guess the route [Re: Frank Florence]
rg@ofmc Online   content
Pooh-Bah

Quote:
In my own mind, I've led up some pretty dizzyingly overhung slab routes. Must be the Heroic Configuration of my middle ear.

Yeah, me too. In fact, the HCC (heroic cochlear configuration) is the primary justification for displaying one's shots with preposterously altered perspective: do you want to see the route as it is, or do you want to experience what it feels like to be one it? It's just that after a while, the slab shot presented upside down becomes a cliche, and I get a little tired of turning my magazine upside down all the time just to see what the depicted climb really looked like.

#36437 - 04/10/08 08:48 PM Re: Guess the route [Re: rg@ofmc]
talus Offline
veteran

RG is this what you are talking about? \:\)

Let me know if you still want to do what we talked about

cheers
j

#36439 - 04/10/08 09:38 PM Re: Guess the route [Re: talus]
rg@ofmc Online   content
Pooh-Bah

John, I've had some days when I felt like that.

As for "the thing we talked about," I'm still enthusiastic in principle. There is the small problem that my estimation of my current abilities seems to be rather more optimistic than any reality-based experience is able to confirm, so I'll just have to get out and see where I am this year.

The original anniversary that started this discussion has, of course, come and gone. But I have another one coming up this summer, when I turn fifty as a climber. My first climb was the Owen-Spaulding Route on the Grand Teton in 1958, as I recently discovered from this summit register.

#36447 - 04/11/08 01:09 AM Re: Guess the route [Re: rg@ofmc]
talus Offline
veteran

Wow!
Congratulations on 50 yrs of climbing!

I'm sure you would fire up Coexistence

#36448 - 04/11/08 01:12 AM Re: Guess the route [Re: rg@ofmc]
Bill Offline
journeyman

Loc: Mass Land
RG --- Do you have this phrase copyrighted?

Quote:
my current abilities seems to be rather more optimistic than any reality-based experience is able to confirm

This is a perfectly accurate description of my perspective of my climbing ability. Thinking of getting it printed up on some T-shirts so as to serve as a reminder of the fact as I get ready to head out for another climbing day. Might help limit my trips to the ER.

Bill

PS

Quote:
when I turn fifty as a climber
Does this mean 50 years as a climber or 50 years on this plane of existence?!?!?!?! I assume the latter since you don't look that damn old.

Page 119 of 342 < 1 2 ... 117 118 119 120 121 ... 341 342 >

Moderator:  Mike Rawdon, Steven Cherry 
Sponsored