Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Rickster), 10 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#44774 - 05/19/09 12:42 PM Days Since GCC Board Members Terms Expired
Kent Offline
old hand

Loc: The Bayards

#44790 - 05/20/09 12:03 PM Re: Days Since GCC Board Members Terms Expired [Re: Kent]
Kent Offline
old hand

#44792 - 05/20/09 02:46 PM Re: Days Since GCC Board Members Terms Expired [Re: Kent]
Doug Online   content

This is shaping up to be an awesome thread. I can't wait for tomorrow's installment.

#44795 - 05/20/09 04:09 PM Re: Days Since GCC Board Members Terms Expired [Re: Doug]
Kent Offline
old hand

Tomorrow's installment or day 978 or 1163 or whenever they finally hold an election.....

#44798 - 05/20/09 05:27 PM Re: Days Since GCC Board Members Terms Expired [Re: Kent]
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

You're railing against...

• a more or mostly less quiescent organization
  • that has basically no members, or at least no real membership
  • that has basically done away with by-laws, elections, BofD terms...
  • ...mostly because of the first point...
  • although they probably seemed like a good idea at the time of organization

Seems rather Quixotic, no?

I feel a somewhat more important point is that the GCC is ostensibly the official local representative organization of the Access Fund. As others have pointed out, I agree that the GCC should either (once again) become a real organization that is truly representative or allow some other group to step into the void and be the voice of the climbers.

But the major impediments will remain:
there are only a few willing to do so, they will continue to be major players in whatever transpires, and the historic difficulty of being able to create, organize, and effectively operate such an advocacy group that is indeed able to work with local landowners. Yes, people have pointed to the SCC as a shining example of such a group. Unfortunately, despite the existence of numerous climbers coalitions/groups nationwide, there are damned few that have been as effective - a testament to how difficult this is. So in the Gunks, instead of constructive discussion, we get these snarky pissing contests, like this thread. At least you guys are dealing with relatively more esoteric issues, like zoning laws and land acquisition practices, instead of more visceral and permanent things like the elimination of a climbing area in my neck of the woods:
http://nn.byu.edu/story.cfm/72157
http://preserverockcanyon.com/

And one issue from a few years ago that came to successful compromise. In the early part of the decade, access to Castleton Tower was destined to be lost forever due to developemt:
http://www.castlerockcollaboration.org/

#44801 - 05/20/09 06:07 PM Re: Days Since GCC Board Members Terms Expired [Re: MarcC]
phil Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Originally Posted By: MarcC
we get these snarky pissing contests

and we also get... quixotic

Caught up in the romance of noble deeds and the pursuit of unreachable goals; idealistic without regard to practicality.

"extravagantly chivalrous," 1791, from Don Quixote, romantic, impractical hero of Cervantes' satirical novel "Don Quixote de la Mancha" (1605).

This is one of the best posts I've read in Years!!! laugh

I bow to you sir... well done!

#44826 - 05/21/09 12:52 PM Re: Days Since GCC Board Members Terms Expired [Re: phil]
Kent Offline
old hand

#44829 - 05/21/09 01:48 PM Re: Days Since GCC Board Members Terms Expired [Re: Kent]
Jgreene Offline

Kent,

It's pretty sad that since the day I called on the GCC to have new elections Chris Moratz has been mute, Janette has been mute, WTF?

Hey Chris M and Janette P et al. if you are reading this, it is my opinion that your days are up. Time for new elections people. Failing to address this forum is just more proof that you guys are unable to communicate with your constituancy.

#44850 - 05/21/09 08:16 PM Re: Days Since GCC Board Members Terms Expired [Re: Kent]
Dizzy Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Berkshires, MA and Ahlington, ...
So, if you force the GCC to hold elections and the current officers are unopposed and re-elected, how can you complain about the job they do?

If the GCC is really defunct, who will step up and form a new organization that will replace it?

Just curious.

Ta,
Dizz

#44854 - 05/21/09 08:43 PM Re: Days Since GCC Board Members Terms Expired [Re: Dizzy]
talus Offline
veteran

Anybody that receives a Thom Scheuer award is OK in my book. Keep up the good work Jannette and Chris

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Jannette, phlan, webmaster 
Sponsored