Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 8 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10 11 >
Topic Options
#44653 - 05/14/09 10:17 PM Re: NEW GCC ELECTIONS [Re: TerrieM]
Kent Offline
old hand

Loc: The Bayards
Quote:
Anyone can get involved with GCC. Last year, when the "oh no, the c/ground may close! GCC DO SOMETHING!!!" issue came up, people with the GCC extended email invitations to several(if not all) who commented - "Attend out next meeting!"

Selective invitations to meetings aren't exactly a good way to build a healthy organization, one able to embrace and digest dissent.

The Preserve does the same thing. They selectively invite neighbors and Life Endowment members under the guise that "the meetings are for those who support the mission of the Preserve". The truth is those of us who are dissenters do support the mission of the Preserve, just not the tactics. They don't want any criticism of their tactics.

The GCC seemingly follows suit. They privately invite select people to private meetings like the one Terrie speaks of. Their steering committee meetings are announced but it's "please rsvp" in order to find out about the location.

#44655 - 05/15/09 12:15 AM Re: NEW GCC ELECTIONS [Re: Kent]
TerrieM Offline
addict

Loc: Gunks in Summer, Southwest in ...
Bullshit.

The meeting was announced on the GCC website and also on this one. An open invitation was also expressed within the thread I mentioned above.

I received an email about the meeting; perhaps "invitation to attend" was a poor choice of phrases. I was reminded that the meeting was upcoming and that the input of climbers was helpful and appreciated.

#44656 - 05/15/09 01:08 AM Re: NEW GCC ELECTIONS [Re: TerrieM]
Kent Offline
old hand

Terrie, a misunderstanding does not constitute bullshit. I misunderstood what you said. So they have open meetings. Great.

That still doesn't solve their problem of legitimacy. They have no members and their terms expired more than a year and a half ago.

As for the Preserve's selective invitations, that's not a misunderstanding but rather it's from the horse's mouth.

#44657 - 05/15/09 01:09 AM Re: NEW GCC ELECTIONS [Re: Kent]
pedestrian Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: a heavily fortified bunker!
Jgreene:

Oh, I'll be the first to say it: stfu, a$$hole. Nobody wants to listen to your moronic personal attacks anymore.

#44662 - 05/15/09 03:03 AM Re: NEW GCC ELECTIONS [Re: Kent]
Fraser Offline
old hand

Loc: New Canaan, CT
Kent,

Apology accepted.

All meetings are posted on the GCC website with the date and location. Apologies for not posting the street address on the web but in this case I thought you could find the address since it was across the street from you blush It is helpful to know how many people are attending so that there are enough nachos and dip. I hope that is transparent enough.

Speaking of transparency, we still haven't received your $500 offer to the rescue fund yet, will you be making the check out to the GCC or the Mohonk Preserve?

See you around.

Best regards.

#44663 - 05/15/09 03:40 AM Re: NEW GCC ELECTIONS [Re: Fraser]
Jgreene Offline

Ped,

Ease up bro, I had no idea you you were trying to move in on Annie. Anyway I'm getting quite the support in the PM department, even from some GCC folks, so if you hate me I'm ok with it. By the way I'm more of an A-hole than you will ever know.

#44664 - 05/15/09 04:00 AM Re: NEW GCC ELECTIONS [Re: Fraser]
Kent Offline
old hand

Fraser,

On numerous occasions and in numerous ways I've asked the GCC to reach out to landowners. As the GC hasn't done so for the last four years I figured none of you were much interested in what I have to say. Indeed I haven't attended a GCC meeting since CM walked out while I was talking at our only meeting about this years ago now.

Certainly other more active climbers might just drop by if they were to know where the meeting is being held. Is having enough dip more important than making it easy for people to participate? Make the meeting sites public information. If you really want to draw more people in consider holding them somewhere other than people's houses. How about R&S?

As for the rescue cache, I'm sure you will recall the $500 offer was for a reward. Did someone provide information resulting in an arrest and conviction? If so, I'm unaware. I'll go to the bank for the cash tomorrow to be given to whoever provided the info resulting in conviction. Just lemme know by pm.

And what of the the lack of members and elections? No comment?

#44665 - 05/15/09 04:05 AM Re: NEW GCC ELECTIONS [Re: Kent]
Jgreene Offline

Kent,

Maybe a landowner/climber liasion would be a good position for the GCC. I actually think you would be quite good at this.

#44667 - 05/15/09 05:30 AM Re: NEW GCC ELECTIONS [Re: Jgreene]
Jannette Offline

Cliffmama
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Gardiner, NY
When the meetings are held at a private residence, I don't post the address on a public website. That doesn't mean it's invitation only - it's just for privacy of the host. The GCC email address is published (gcc@gunksclimbers.org) so if you are interested in attending, email us and we can email you the address and directions to the meeting. While Rock and Snow has been generous to allow us to use their office space for our meetings, there aren't enough chairs upstairs and they are trying to conduct business while we're there. It's less of an imposition for us to have the meetings at people's homes.

The next meeting is June 13th at Ajax's place in Gardiner at 6pm.
We welcome participation from the climbing community. I am a busy working mother of 2 in NJ with way too many hobbies and responsibilities and yet - I have managed to attend almost every monthly GCC meeting since 2002. Find the time, get involved.

Jannette
GCC Secretary, webmaster, geek

#44669 - 05/15/09 11:27 AM Re: NEW GCC ELECTIONS [Re: Jannette]
tallgirlnyc Offline

Loc: Cold Spring NY
The GCC put up blazes guiding climbers down through Smeade's cove immediately after the "cliff closure" in the Nears. That seemed like a very quick and effective response to me.

Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10 11 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored