Shout Box

Who's Online
3 registered (rustyrabbit, slevin, 1 invisible), 4 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#46648 - 07/14/09 01:10 PM Updating the Cliff Closure
BrianRI Offline

I realize that it is probably a labor of love to maintain this website and it probably ends up costing money. AND it is deeply appreciated...but...wow...the cliff closure has been lifted for two weeks now and the homepage still has it on there. If the site isn't maintained it looses credibility. I learned of the lifting of the closure right away on another websites that isn't even a Gunks specific site.

#46654 - 07/15/09 11:00 AM Re: Updating the Cliff Closure [Re: BrianRI]
oenophore Online   confused
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land
it probably ends up costing money

For the curious, here's how much it costs.

#46657 - 07/15/09 02:52 PM Re: Updating the Cliff Closure [Re: oenophore]
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: oenophore
it probably ends up costing money

For the curious, here's how much it costs.

That's only part of it. There's also monthly hosting costs, which includes server space and bandwidth usage, and then someone's hourly billable for doing any work on the site, which would include front page updates. We know Evan is doing a lot of this on his own time, but that is by no means "free".

#46658 - 07/15/09 04:16 PM Re: Updating the Cliff Closure [Re: MarcC]
Mark Heyman Offline
old hand

Loc: South Jersey (Pinelands)
I agree with Brian despite agreeing with MarcC.

As much as other bugs are an inconvenience, I agree with Brian despite agreeing with MarcC.

Mis-information is not better than no information. When you put something like a cliff closure up, you know it is not permanent. If you are not ready to take it down in a timely manner then it would been better not to have posted it to begin with.

#46662 - 07/15/09 07:10 PM Re: Updating the Cliff Closure [Re: Mark Heyman]
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

And I agree with Brian and Mark Heyman. The front page of the site should be updated when some temporary event changes, like a closure. Arguably, the front page should be updated fairly frequently on a site such as this. Weekly is not unreasonable.

I just wanted to point out that there are more costs involved in running a site like this than merely the license for the forum software.

#46669 - 07/15/09 08:59 PM Re: Updating the Cliff Closure [Re: MarcC]
quanto_the_mad Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: brooklyn
It may be a bit sloppy, but really, in this case, it's a bit silly. To get full information on the closure, you have to click "Read the rest of this entry", and there's a comment below the entry that says the ban has been lifted.

If you didn't click to read the rest of it, you wouldn't know the full extent of the closure, and you would probably hop in the forum and ask, or ask a ranger or even ask somewhere else. And yeah, we did post to other sites as soon as we'd heard to get the word out.

So in this case, what's the worst that could happen? You're on Hawk and some noob comes up and calls you an asshole because you're climbing in what he thinks is a restricted area?

Sloppy, yeah. Something to get your panties in a bunch over? Not really.

#46670 - 07/15/09 09:26 PM Re: Updating the Cliff Closure [Re: MarcC]
oenophore Online   confused
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land
I just wanted to point out that there are more costs involved in running a site like this than merely the license for the forum software.

More than came to mind at first thought and a good reason to put this site on your "Xmas list."

#46800 - 07/20/09 03:38 PM Re: Updating the Cliff Closure [Re: oenophore]
RangerRob Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ulster County, NY
Aren't well all newbies on some level? Or are you using the word "Noob" to describe someone who is misinformed? I've always disliked that word. It smacks of internet elitism. "I climb 5.X and have been doing so for X years. I can't be a noob!"

That being said, it is kind of silly that the one website specifically devoted to Gunks climbing is more outdated on Gunks closures than generic climbing sites.

RR

#46804 - 07/20/09 04:08 PM Re: Updating the Cliff Closure [Re: quanto_the_mad]
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: quanto_the_mad
Sloppy, yeah. Something to get your panties in a bunch over? Not really.

Panties in a bunch? Hardly. But RangerRob said it best in his recent post:
Originally Posted By: RangerRob
That being said, it is kind of silly that the one website specifically devoted to Gunks climbing is more outdated on Gunks closures than generic climbing sites.

#46806 - 07/20/09 04:58 PM Re: Updating the Cliff Closure [Re: RangerRob]
quanto_the_mad Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: brooklyn
Aren't well all newbies on some level? Or are you using the word "Noob" to describe someone who is misinformed? I've always disliked that word. It smacks of internet elitism. "I climb 5.X and have been doing so for X years. I can't be a noob!"

A "noob" is someone new to the internet. Someone not familiar with websites, someone who would read a headline, and then act on the headline without reading the entire article or comments attached. That noob could be a 5.14 climber, it's not saying anything about their climbing ability, just their inability to use a website.

I posted here and some other sites at the same time, so everyone basically got the same information in the same manner. I mean, there isn't a site out there that has a big banner that says "gunks ban lifted" on the front page, is there? To find that the closure had been lifted, they would have had to go into the discussion forums and find out, just like they would have to do here.

Yeah, the article on the front page should be updated by the webmaster, but well there is a comment posted only a week after the ban was lifted.

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored