Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 9 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 3 of 17 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 16 17 >
Topic Options
#46943 - 07/23/09 01:36 PM Re: Gunks Private Property [Re: TerrieM]
Jgreene Offline

Oeny,

While I agree with the method that empicard described, I just always find it funny that Lawng Islanders consider themself "New Yorkers". It's like hipsters in Brooklyn......There is nothing hip about Brooklyn.

Terrie,

What is NY pizza? It's clear you only frequent the cheapest, greasy, non NY, non new yorker joints. $10 that you are not a native New Yorker by that statement.

#46946 - 07/23/09 02:26 PM Re: Gunks Private Property [Re: Jgreene]
oenophore Online   confused
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land
I just always find it funny that Lawng Islanders consider themself "New Yorkers"

A resident of Buffalo or Massena can rightly be called a New Yorker.

#46947 - 07/23/09 02:32 PM Re: Gunks Private Property [Re: TerrieM]
yorick Offline
old hand

Loc: hamlet\'s hand
Originally Posted By: TerrieM
I dislike NY pizza and don't see how it ever got the reputation as being so special.

The reputation of NYC bagels, breads, and pizza are derived from one thing: its water, most of which comes from the Catskills.

I once worked with a chef who trained at the Culinary Institute in Hyde Park. While he was there, they ran a blind-study - as objective as one could hope for - testing all the water they could get their hands on to determine the best one for baking. Municipal sources and many bottled water companies submitted samples, hoping to use the results in their marketing. NYC's municipal water supply won.

I've heard tales of transplanted bakers and pizzamen shipping NYC water to their bakeries and restaurants out west.

#46949 - 07/23/09 02:43 PM Re: Gunks Private Property [Re: yorick]
empicard Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: LI, NY
born in the bronx, bitches.

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

#46950 - 07/23/09 02:55 PM Re: Gunks Private Property [Re: yorick]
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: yorick
I've heard tales of transplanted bakers and pizzamen shipping NYC water to their bakeries and restaurants out west.

In one of his western restaurants (San Franciso? Vegas? I don't recall.), Mario Batali adjusts the local water to match the chemistry of NYC water. The real trick is trying to make bagels in places like Denver and SLC. You can get the water chemistry right, but the elevation takes its toll. The result looks and tastes like a bagel, but the texture just isn't correct - far more bread like than proper bagel toothiness.

#46951 - 07/23/09 02:55 PM Re: Gunks Private Property [Re: TerrieM]
quanto_the_mad Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: brooklyn
Originally Posted By: TerrieM
I dislike NY pizza and don't see how it ever got the reputation as being so special. Stereotypical NYC pizza is bland and not enough sauce.

But did you know there is a place on 9th Ave(maybe it's 10th, or 11th...) and 4nd(well, I think it's 43rd actually - or somewhere around there) where you can get a slice for 99cents? They always have a line and so the pizza is hot out of the oven.

That, and the price, and the people in the line, make it worthwhile.

You mean the place on 41st and 9th? Two slices and a soda for $2.50 if IRC.

There are a lot of good pizza in the city. My favorite NY style is Totonno's, just has the right flavor of sauce and amount of cheese for me.

#46952 - 07/23/09 02:59 PM Re: Gunks Private Property [Re: oenophore]
quanto_the_mad Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: brooklyn
Originally Posted By: oenophore
I just always find it funny that Lawng Islanders consider themself "New Yorkers"

A resident of Buffalo or Massena can rightly be called a New Yorker.

Heh heh... yeah, and New York only has ONE football team, at least until it gets sold to Toronto.

#46953 - 07/23/09 03:08 PM Re: Gunks Private Property [Re: quanto_the_mad]
Jgreene Offline

Empicard,

Just cause your mother squeezed you out in the bronx and then drove you back to the island does not make you a new yorker. And if you are truely from the bronx name the most famous bagel place in the bronx that is no longer there.......A truly missed iconic place that will always be missed by true New Yorkers. No sense doing a google search since it's not there. Best of luck, cause I'm callin' you out Biatch.

#46954 - 07/23/09 03:58 PM Re: Gunks Private Property [Re: quanto_the_mad]
charliebutters Offline
addict

Loc: accord
the place on 41st and 9th worked great for me as it was close to my hunter college mfa studio and mphc....we referred to it as best frozen pizza in nyc.
my personal fav is patsy's on 118th and 1st.
number two is pizza town usa on rt 46 in Clifton. nj.
sure i am gonna get some shit for this...but nj pizza is great a bit thicker than ny...generally, nothing like benny's on 209 in stone ridge but more like cancellieres in kerhonkytonk.

#46955 - 07/23/09 03:58 PM Re: Gunks Private Property [Re: MarcC]
oenophore Online   confused
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land
You can get the water chemistry right, but the elevation takes its toll. The result looks and tastes like a bagel, but the texture just isn't correct - far more bread like than proper bagel toothiness.

So why not make bagels in a pressure cooker?

Page 3 of 17 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 16 17 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored