Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 10 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#46461 - 07/05/09 07:20 PM Let's go retro
oenophore Online   confused
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land
I am posting this on the assumption that the Webmaster believes he has completed fixes to the latest software for this site.
A bunch of problems, posted in this Bugs & Comments forum and mentioned in the shoutbox still remain. The site was working quite well in 2002, albeit without the hardly necessary shoutbox. It would be compatible with browsers and operating systems old and new. If I had my druthers, and I'm writing this without rancor or intention to insult, the 2002 model of Gunks.com would be restored (if possible) and many a problem would disappear.

#46473 - 07/06/09 11:10 PM Re: Let's go retro [Re: oenophore]
pedestrian Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: a heavily fortified bunker!
Can't always just roll back to an earlier version, in the computer world, oeno. It might have had security flaws that would open up to hack attaq, for instance... or it might be incompatible with the current operating system.

#46477 - 07/07/09 11:02 AM Re: Let's go retro [Re: pedestrian]
oenophore Online   confused
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land
It might have had security flaws that would open up to hack attaq, for instance... or it might be incompatible with the current operating system.

The first may be true, but it's a good bet that new operating systems are written to run "legacy" software.

#46900 - 07/22/09 03:03 PM Re: Let's go retro [Re: oenophore]
pedestrian Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: a heavily fortified bunker!
oeno, in the Linux world backwards compatibility is sometimes a cruel joke.

#46901 - 07/22/09 03:32 PM Re: Let's go retro [Re: oenophore]
quanto_the_mad Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: brooklyn
Originally Posted By: oenophore
It might have had security flaws that would open up to hack attaq, for instance... or it might be incompatible with the current operating system.

The first may be true, but it's a good bet that new operating systems are written to run "legacy" software.

No, they're not. Legacy software may run because Microsoft doesn't change the software too much; but in every new OS they do say older programs may not work. XP and Vista include a "compatibility mode" which allows some older software to work, but there are still a lot of people running Win2K and WinNT or even DOS because the apps won't run on XP or Vista.

Mac OSX would only run older OS9 apps in the "Classic" environment, which was a software/hardware emulator. That allowed users to transition to OSX, but Classic has been removed from later versions of OSX and will not run on Intel based Macs.

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored