Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 10 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#46969 - 07/23/09 07:45 PM Cocaine's not the only thing to do in Colombia!
cfrac Offline
addict

Just got back from a trip to Colombia and although it's not known much as a climbing destination it should be. The weather is great for climbing, there are brief showers but they generally don't soak the cliffs and temps are very comfortable with days in the 60's and nights in the 40's.
Very cheap too, 10 days cost us about $500 and we also explored Bogota and did some birding in the cloud forest.
The rock is compact sandstone that does get polished fast. Lots to do in the 5.8-5.12 range. The rock is steep and pocketed sometimes with Huecos other times it's like pocketed limestone which has good pro though it's hard to get used to the types of placements. Good cracks as well. Grades were a bit all over the place, some 10's felt like pumpy 9's some felt like 11's. We mostly did 5.10 mixed routes (bolts and gear). We did one spectacular 4 pitch 5.8 called Suerte. We brought a very small rack, nuts and 1 each blue alien to gold camalot, but many of the full length routes require #3 & #4 camalots, I wish we had doubles of .75 & #2 camalots.
The best part was the cliff flora, nothing like doing a move next to a bromeliad!

Our Hostal

The cliff extends for 3 km and is maybe 300 feet tall at its highest.

Ready to start a 10a called Alcatraz

Taking a lap on Alcatraz, it was so good!

A nice bolted 5.8

Some climbers getting ready for Alcatraz

The end of poetry 5.10b

Easy climbing on big holds, just steep at the end!

A sandbagged 5.10b, more like 10d/11a!

Some local armed law enforcement making sure topropers aren't clogging up the multipitch routes.

Part 2 on the way...

#46970 - 07/23/09 08:03 PM Re: Cocaine's not the only thing to do in Colombia! [Re: cfrac]
cfrac Offline
addict

Part 2...

Sport Rapelling under the gaze of El Virgen

A short 10d with 3 bolts

A beautiful but short 5.9, the anchors were all in good shape

There are some climbers under the big roof belaying

Zoom in of the previous pic

The 4 pitch 5.8 we did, there was a 5.9 move in my opinion
as well as a 5.7/5.8 R section. On pitch 3 we couldn't tackle
the gorgeous corner system because our biggest cam was a #2
We took a stunning crack up the headwall to its right

Pitch 1 (5.6)

Pitch 1 great rock!

Pitch 1 belay

Pitch 3, what a beauty!

A few more pics coming

#46971 - 07/23/09 08:08 PM Re: Cocaine's not the only thing to do in Colombia! [Re: cfrac]
cfrac Offline
addict

Part 3

Pitch 4 This 5.8 pitch kicked back to overhanging at the end
The gunks isn't the only place I've gotten pumped on 5.8!

No Chiggers!

The walk off

Bird watching in a natural reserve near Bogota

All in all Suesca is a great place to visit, it only took about a couple of hours to get to by bus from Bogota.
In conclusion, there are other things to do in Colombia besides coacaine!

#46982 - 07/23/09 10:21 PM Re: Cocaine's not the only thing to do in Colombia! [Re: cfrac]
ShakesALot Offline
enthusiast

Loc: NJ

Nice TR, if you haven't already you should post it over on ST as well. What's with all the grey hanging-stuff?

#46993 - 07/24/09 02:56 AM Re: Cocaine's not the only thing to do in Colombia! [Re: ShakesALot]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
Very cool. Thanks.

#47138 - 07/28/09 05:18 PM Re: Cocaine's not the only thing to do in Colombia! [Re: chip]
andrew Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Denver, CO
Very nice. Bogota is one of the more pleasant big cities in South America in my opinion. I've only worked there and never had time to get out in the countryside.

#47870 - 09/12/09 01:26 PM Re: Cocaine's not the only thing to do in Colombia! [Re: andrew]
Rickster Offline
old hand

Loc: Orange Cty, NY
Chris, how big are the spiders leaving those giant webs draped all over the crag? Are they poisonous or just damn big? RC

#48139 - 09/24/09 05:56 PM Re: Cocaine's not the only thing to do in Colombia! [Re: Rickster]
cfrac Offline
addict

Hey Rick, I've been trying to come up with a witty response for days now. I give up!

#48164 - 09/26/09 04:45 PM Re: Cocaine's not the only thing to do in Colombia! [Re: cfrac]
Rickster Offline
old hand

Loc: Orange Cty, NY
CF, When one begins to see big spiders when no one else does, the only question that remains is "what are you on dude?" Great shots. How do you get the time for all these great trips. Columbia, Idaho, back to the Dacks how many times, man what a life. RC

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored