Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 18 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#47406 - 08/10/09 08:19 PM Visiting, Recommendations for 4-8 mile Trail Runs?
WiredNut Offline
stranger

Loc: Northern Virginia
Hi all,

Will be visiting for 7 days beginning next week and would like to do a few trail runs while I'm in the area. Prefer wooded singletracks and don't mind hills or out and back routes, and starting from somewhere close to New Paltz or the Trapps is best.

Thanks!

#47408 - 08/10/09 09:04 PM Re: Visiting, Recommendations for 4-8 mile Trail Runs? [Re: WiredNut]
The Lisa Offline
addict

Loc: Da Bronx
Welcome! There are plenty of trails to chose from between Minnewaska State Park and the Mohonk Preserve. You cannot avoid hills and there are carriage paths as well as singletrack to mix it up.
It would be worth your while buying the trail maps for the area - Rock and Snow in New Paltz stock them. The maps list viewpoints, describe the history of the area, and are very easy to use. I use them all the time for planning my runs.
The Mohonk Preserve has a day use fee of $10, while Minnewaska SP charges $8 or so to park a car there, no fee for those on foot.
Must see list:
At Mohonk: Skytop - take the stairs to the top of this stone tower for stellar views. There are great rock scrambles on the talus around the base of the cliff, and The Crevice is a great route to take.
At Minnewaska: Millbrook Mountain - beautiful ridge singletrack among dwarf pines and roosting black vultures with views out the Hudson Valley.
Hamilton Point, Castle Point - these are reached by on carriage paths but are well worth it for the views and for the mileage. If you have time it is worth going beyond 8-mile loops.
Awosting Falls are very accessible off the driveway to the upper parking area and a singletrack trail leads through the woods from here.
No doubt locals with chime in with other places and routes.
Enjoy!

#47411 - 08/10/09 10:20 PM Re: Visiting, Recommendations for 4-8 mile Trail Runs? [Re: The Lisa]
pedestrian Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: a heavily fortified bunker!
Whatever you end up doing, don't miss incorporating the Millbrook Ridge Trail into it. Probably THE must-do Gunks hike/run... and a great view of the topout to Nectar Vector!

#47418 - 08/11/09 12:50 PM Re: Visiting, Recommendations for 4-8 mile Trail Runs? [Re: pedestrian]
WiredNut Offline
stranger

Loc: Northern Virginia
Thanks! I'll get the trail map and check out those trails.

#47495 - 08/13/09 09:57 PM Re: Visiting, Recommendations for 4-8 mile Trail Runs? [Re: WiredNut]
webmaster Offline

veteran

Loc: New Paltz (Kerhonkson, actuall...
I'd also suggest stopping into the Shawangunk Runners store on the corner of Main and Church. The cater to a very enthusistic group of runners/cyclists/triathletes. I wouldn't be surprised if you found yourself in a group run. But if not, they'd still have a great number of suggestions for routes. Here are some of my favorites (you can find them all on the previously mentioned Trail Conference Maps):

1. Bonticou Run (4.5m): Start at Springfarm, run up Cedar Drive to Bonticou drive, around the golf course at the Mohonk Mountain House, and then back down Spring Farm Rd./Crag Trail to the parking lot.

2. Undivided Lot Trail (8 miles, good for a hot day. Shade + Swim): Start down the street from the little church at the corner of Rt. 6 & Rt. 6a. Run the trail to its link up with Old Minnewaska Trail. This ends at the Split Rock Swimming Hole. Take a dip, catch your breath, then return.

3. North Mountain Lookout (6 - 7 miles): Start at Spring Farm Parking lot. Take Crag Trail to Cedar Drive, go right. Cross over Rt. 6, over Cedar Bridge and look on a Map to find the rest of your way to the lookout. You can return on a parallel track using Bonticou carriageway to Spring Farm Trail and back to where you started.

4. Duck Pond/Glory Hill/Skytop: Ask the locals and consult your maps. Don't want to publish this too much, due to the parking considerations.

5. Undercliff/Overcliff (4 miles): A simple classic run on the back and front side of the Trapps. Start at the Steel Bridge of the Trapps

6. Nears Ridge Run (5 miles): Start at the Steel Bridge, and head up the rocky Nears trail about 20 yards from the bridge. Go right at the top and run over the Nears and Bayards with beautiful views of the Valley. Return on Coxing Carriageway and back to Steel Bridge.

You'll have a great time.

#47518 - 08/15/09 09:15 AM Re: Visiting, Recommendations for 4-8 mile Trail Runs? [Re: webmaster]
jstan Offline
stranger

The most memorable run I encountered was the overcliff undercliff around midnight, in a rain. What light existed was reflected off wet bark on the trees. Made you feel as though you were not alone.

#47537 - 08/17/09 02:27 PM Re: Visiting, Recommendations for 4-8 mile Trail Runs? [Re: jstan]
The Lisa Offline
addict

Loc: Da Bronx
That sounds very atmospheric! Night runs are always a different experience, even on very familiar trails. Add the effects of a full moon or rain or snow and it is a different world.

#47628 - 08/25/09 01:40 PM Re: Visiting, Recommendations for 4-8 mile Trail Runs? [Re: The Lisa]
Leemouse2 Offline
addict

Loc: Rosendale, NY
I think you've already come and gone, but one of my favorite singletrack trail runs, which sees VERY little traffic during the weekdays, is the trail at Sam's Point Preserve to Verkeerder Falls - you can take a dip at the top but be careful, slippery - and back. It's between 5 and 6 miles RT. Plus I think there will still be a lot of blueberries to pick.

If you WANT a hill run, nothing beats running up to the top of Overlook, just outside the town of Woodstock, and back - 5 miles RT. More like doubletrack.

I think Evan mentioned this, and it's carriage roads, but the run from Minnewaska out around Awosting and back on the Hamilton Carriageway is about 8 miles (one of the longer ones I do) plus you get to jump in the lake at the end of the run :-) Great on a warm day!

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored