Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 18 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#47585 - 08/22/09 01:51 AM Wild Iris and More
cfrac Offline
addict

Went out to Idaho and Wyoming for a good chunk of August and climbed at the City of Rocks though apparently we only took one photo! This is actually the Castles, not the City, it already has over 400 routes with room for another 400. Although it was warm it seemed like nothing compared to the heat we've been having here lately.

Site of the famous Pocatello Pump, these cliffs are fun but short. We also tried to go to Massacre Rocks but we got our Honda Civic stuck in sand on the drive out, a $300 tow and no climbing we retreated back to Pocatello, ID.

We drove through the Tetons but didn't climb, it was beautiful, dry, breezy, and in the 70's!

We saw this Grizzly on the drive through Wyoming...

Click Here for Grizzly Bear video

We got to Lander and set up camp in Sinks Canyon.

Big Horn Sheep

There is some great climbing in Sinks Canyon but with the exception of the Shady Side climbs everything was way too hot.
This was a beautiful steep pocketed face that lead to a 5.11 slab topout, three stars. The pockets are fun to climb and the friction is remarkable.

We also climbed at Wild Iris, not sure of the names of these routes but this was a gorgeous dead vertical 5.8 with bolts every 5 feet or so.

A gorgeous thin, just off vertical 5.12a. The bolting at Wild Iris is phenomenal, everything is just where you want it. My only complaint is that as soon as the hard climbing ends so does the route regardless of how high up the wall you are...I guess that's sport climbing!

That's it for the pics, hope you enjoyed them!
C Frac

#47587 - 08/22/09 12:29 PM Re: Wild Iris and More [Re: cfrac]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
Great TR! I'm impressed with the sequencing of photos for a couple moves. I can't believe you left out the shot of hand feeding the bear. A little more high tech than your average report. Nice.

#47600 - 08/24/09 07:40 AM Re: Wild Iris and More [Re: chip]
tokyo bill Offline
old hand

Loc: Tokyo
Nice.

(And my dog lover voice has to kick in and say that your dog (I'm assuming it's yours) is super cute. Is he an English Sheepdog? Bearded Collie?)

#47656 - 08/26/09 01:57 AM Re: Wild Iris and More [Re: tokyo bill]
cfrac Offline
addict

Originally Posted By: tokyo bill
Nice.

(And my dog lover voice has to kick in and say that your dog (I'm assuming it's yours) is super cute. Is he an English Sheepdog? Bearded Collie?)

Thanks! Yes, Old English Sheepdog

#47660 - 08/26/09 03:15 AM Re: Wild Iris and More [Re: cfrac]
tokyo bill Offline
old hand

Loc: Tokyo
Handsome boy. Love the short cut so that you can see his face.

Sigh - I'm ready for another dog...

#47709 - 08/28/09 02:25 AM Re: Wild Iris and More [Re: cfrac]
pedestrian Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: a heavily fortified bunker!
Originally Posted By: cfrac
Big Horn Sheep

I see this picture was taken from the correct angle, nice camera work.

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored