Shout Box

Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 2 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#47666 - 08/26/09 11:36 AM Where to Buy White Gas/Propane
TerrieM Offline
addict

Loc: Gunks in Summer, Southwest in ...
I am going to be doing the caretaker gig at Split Rock, and need to get a better situation for my stove set up.

I currently have a propane stove(like a Coleman, but not) and was going to just get that hose to use a 20lber tank on it. But it appears the connection is not the same type, and the ends won't work. Besides, the stove is beat up pretty well, and perhaps the best thing is to replace.

I have heard that white gas is much less expensive for use, and am considering buying a Coleman(or similar, I need the two burners!) that runs on white gas, and keeping the old one for use when traveling.
(EDIT: I just searched for white gas stoves, and it seems they 2-burnres aren't readily available like they were a few years ago - so maybe this is a moot point).

1) Anywhere convenient in New Paltz to purchase white gas? I didn't see it on the rock and snow website, and EMS site isn't localized.(Yes....I suppose I can call EMS and ask)
2) Issues I should be aware of using white gas besides the obvious one of flammability?

I may decide to replace with a Coleman propane stove and get the hose. Anyone know:

1) How long a 20lb cylinder, used for breakfast/dinner on a daily basis might last?
2) How much a 20lb cylinder costs these days/deposit on tank?
3) If there is a place where the propane tanks are cheaper? Or a place to avoid because they are too high?

I may also need to get a 60 lb cylinder at some point, but without a car, and a walk to the cabin that I would simply not be able to do with a full tank....I'll worry about that another day.

Edited by TerrieM (08/26/09 11:53 AM)

#47671 - 08/26/09 02:00 PM Re: Where to Buy White Gas/Propane [Re: TerrieM]
quanto_the_mad Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: brooklyn
Coleman still makes the Gemini, which is a two-burner WG stove. Looks pretty fragile though, and expensive as well. Says there's a burn time of 50 minutes per 22oz bottle, which means you're going to go through a gallon every 3-6 days depending on how much you cook. I think all the pumping required to keep the two burners going would get annoying.

I sold my WG stove years ago so I don't know how much it goes for nowadays nor where you can get it. But with the cost of the stove, you can probably get a coleman propane stove, the adapter hose and a 20lb tank.

You can find the adapter hose online for $25, I think I've seen it at some stores such as Gander Mountain. I've been thinking of getting one myself, but I don't have anywhere to easily store a 20lb tank, can't get it refilled in NYC, and can't take one into a tunnel, so I haven't gotten around to it.

When car camping I go through one 1LB canister a day with a two burner stove. The canister has less than 1LB of fuel. A 20lb tank will have 16-18 lbs in it, so it's probably about 20 days.

I don't know anywhere to refill a tank, the couple places I used to get them filled now do exchanges instead, which I think is a couple bucks more expensive.

#47687 - 08/26/09 07:12 PM Re: Where to Buy White Gas/Propane [Re: quanto_the_mad]
TerrieM Offline
addict

Thanks for the info - It sounds like the propane one's the way to go.

The 20lber exchange is certainly acceptable to me. I hadn't realized it was done differently. My dad ran a propane business and when people brought their 20lb'ers in, we just exchanged them for one already filled. Unless they liked their own particular one....I don't think I can get that attached to a cylinder, even with the nostalgia factor of making them into toys as a kid.

#47688 - 08/26/09 09:03 PM Re: Where to Buy White Gas/Propane [Re: TerrieM]
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Propane refilling is usually available at ACE hardware stores - there's one in High Falls. Exchanges are often available at places like Lowe's or Home Depot, some gas stations, even some supermarkets. Have you checked the strip mall near the thruway?

White gas probably doesn't show on a web site since it can't be shipped. Have you called R&S? Sometimes it's available at a store with a camping section in their sports department.

Another possibility for both propane and white gas is the store at one of the local campgrounds. I can't see walking any distance hand carrying a 20lb (5 gal) propane tank since they're kinda ungainly. I just put my freshly refilled tank on a scale: 38 lbs.

#47689 - 08/26/09 09:29 PM Re: Where to Buy White Gas/Propane [Re: MarcC]
TerrieM Offline
addict

Whatever I choose, will need to be bought in/near New Paltz, as I will be doing shuttle runs 1 or 2 times a week, and can't really see spending the time/money to have my person go out of the way too much. That Home Depot store just east of the hwy is about as far away as I'd want to go, I think.

I haven't looked anywhere yet..... I had the feeling that maybe the Mobil gas stations had them. But it didn't occur to me to actually check when I was up last week.

Maybe Google will know......

#47690 - 08/27/09 01:52 AM Re: Where to Buy White Gas/Propane [Re: TerrieM]
Mike Rawdon Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Poughkeepsie
My Coleman 2 burner stove ($60 about 12 yr ago) burns unleaded gasoline. Maybe search EBay.

Better yet - they're still being sold:

Dual fuel 2 burner stove

Edited by Mike Rawdon (08/27/09 01:55 AM)

#47694 - 08/27/09 01:11 PM Re: Where to Buy White Gas/Propane [Re: TerrieM]
quanto_the_mad Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: brooklyn
Assuming you mean the one by S. Elting Rd, that's a Lowes, not a HoDe. I've driven by but never stopped in so I don't know if it has propane tanks.

People like refilling because they've just bought a new tank and don't want to trade that new one in for an old clunker. The other thing is you never know how much you're getting in the pre-filled tanks, I've heard those at Walmart only have 15lbs in them but still cost as much as others. At least if you get it refilled, or get one from a reputable dealer, you know exactly how much you're getting.

#47696 - 08/27/09 01:49 PM Re: Where to Buy White Gas/Propane [Re: quanto_the_mad]
TerrieM Offline
addict

Yes - I meant that store. I'd guess they have them, for grills. Will stop in and check.

Seems the propane company (like that delivers to homes)is somewhere in Gardiner from a Google search.

Thanks for the suggestions, all.

#47700 - 08/27/09 03:53 PM Re: Where to Buy White Gas/Propane [Re: quanto_the_mad]
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: quanto_the_mad
People like refilling because they've just bought a new tank and don't want to trade that new one in for an old clunker. The other thing is you never know how much you're getting in the pre-filled tanks, I've heard those at Walmart only have 15lbs in them but still cost as much as others.

The refilling of the exchange tanks is done by the propane company, not Walmart or whoever has the service, so theoretically the tanks should be full.

I don't know about NY, but here there's quite a price differential. At the exchange, it costs ~$22 for a full tank with exchange of an empty. If you don't have a tank to exchange, you need to initially purchase a full one for ~$44.
I purchased an empty tank at Costco for ~$25 (Home Depot has them for around $35), but it only costs about ~$11 to refill it at a local hardware store.

One other suggestion: always make sure you have a back up - either a small tank or, for a 2 burner stove or portable grill, a couple of 1 lb. bottles. Invariably your main tank will run out in the middle of cooking at some point. If you're doing the exchange route, then avoiding this scenario means that you're loosing a bit since you're going to exchange with some fuel left in the tank.

#47702 - 08/27/09 04:15 PM Re: Where to Buy White Gas/Propane [Re: MarcC]
TerrieM Offline
addict

I purchased 4 1lbers today, since my current stove doesn't have the hose to convert(it appears to have a different fitting than the Colemans, and when I looked at the instruction panel last weekend, it seemed to say something about not using a bulk cylinder).

So I have those and about a half full one for now.

I haven't purchased a new stove yet, but one of my "errands tomorrow" is to check for the propane 20lbers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored