Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 2 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#4766 - 06/18/02 01:44 AM Re: Yosemite/Half Dome [Re: buzzardboy]
Charlie Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Morristown, N.J.
:-)

#4767 - 06/18/02 01:42 PM Re: Yosemite/Half Dome [Re: buzzardboy]
drewski Offline
journeyman

Loc: Litchfield County, CT
Watch the trail closure. Snake Dike, a trade route already, may be even busier. We decided to skip it this time. I say “we,” but it is, in truth, another smooth sales pitch by that silver-tongued devil, Chazman.

Taken from the url following….

“The cables to the top of Half Dome are up. Trail work is scheduled for the Half Dome Trail this year from July 8 through September 19: hikers will have access to the trail only from Thursday at 4 pm through Monday at 7 am, as well as 4 pm through 7 am Monday through Thursday”

http://www.nps.gov/yose/now/conditions.htm

#4768 - 06/18/02 08:09 PM Re: Yosemite/Half Dome [Re: drewski]
LesterLeBlanc Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Los Angeles
That's cool. I've got "OTHER LEFT" tatooed on my right hand.

#4769 - 06/19/02 02:46 AM Re: Yosemite/Half Dome [Re: LesterLeBlanc]
BobbyS Offline
enthusiast

Loc: None
All those routes you mentioned at the base of el cap are good. Pine Line is probably not the best (two stars) but it has a super location. Moby Dick is my favorite of all of them. Short finger crack crux near the ground. Then enjoy stunning hands and fists. It is pretty light for 5.10-.

Sacher Cracker is really good as well but be prepared for 5.9 run out offwidth at the top. I think you can bail before it as there are usually bail slings around a chockstone at its base

La Cosita is good but quite smooth and slick, not one of my favorites.

For a good 5.9 you definately want to hit Commitment. Munginella is a pretty good 5.6 if you are over there as well. If you are over there check out the black crack (5.8) in the Yosemite Falls Ampitheather. There are two nice 5.10- dihedrals over there as well. You can continue you over and do Jamcrack (5.7 p1 5.9 p2).

The all time classic 5.9 is Reids Direct. 5.10- offwidth last pitch is optional but pretty neat and well protected for that type of climbing.

Central Pillar of Frenzy is probably the most enjoyable 5.9. A few pitches of stunning 5.9 cracks with a killer 5.8 roof splitter.

The only other climb I think I left out is Bishop's Terrace. I really enjoy this climb. Tons of fun. Big splitter through white granit. Good one to run over and do after dinner when no one is around and it is cooling off after middle of the day sun.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  andrew, Mike Rawdon 
Sponsored