Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Rickster), 11 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#47703 - 08/27/09 05:27 PM Re: Where to Buy White Gas/Propane [Re: TerrieM]
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: TerrieM
I purchased 4 1lbers today, since my current stove doesn't have the hose to convert(it appears to have a different fitting than the Colemans, and when I looked at the instruction panel last weekend, it seemed to say something about not using a bulk cylinder).

All you need is a pressure reducing conversion fitting. They're available at big camping supply / "sportsman's" style stores.

#47704 - 08/27/09 06:27 PM Re: Where to Buy White Gas/Propane [Re: MarcC]
TerrieM Offline
addict

Loc: Gunks in Summer, Southwest in ...
From what I have looked at online, I haven't seen one that looks like the fittings match.

Anyway - I decided to stop f'ing around and ordered one from Campmor.

#47705 - 08/27/09 06:33 PM Re: Where to Buy White Gas/Propane [Re: MarcC]
quanto_the_mad Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: brooklyn
Originally Posted By: MarcC
The refilling of the exchange tanks is done by the propane company, not Walmart or whoever has the service, so theoretically the tanks should be full.

I don't know about NY, but here there's quite a price differential. At the exchange, it costs ~$22 for a full tank with exchange of an empty. If you don't have a tank to exchange, you need to initially purchase a full one for ~$44.
I purchased an empty tank at Costco for ~$25 (Home Depot has them for around $35), but it only costs about ~$11 to refill it at a local hardware store.

One other suggestion: always make sure you have a back up - either a small tank or, for a 2 burner stove or portable grill, a couple of 1 lb. bottles. Invariably your main tank will run out in the middle of cooking at some point. If you're doing the exchange route, then avoiding this scenario means that you're loosing a bit since you're going to exchange with some fuel left in the tank.

Yes, they should be full, but "full" is relative. You can't put 20lb into a 20lb tank with the OPD, so they only fill to 18lbs or so, at least in my limited experience getting a tank refilled. I don't have direct experience with Walmart, but there are a lot of complaints against WM and supplier Blue Rhino, as well as AmeriGas, about only have 15lbs in their tanks. There's a class action suit against the two companies.

So yeah, I would get it refilled now, but back when I was exchanging tanks, I didn't think much about how much was actually in the tank. It was much cheaper back then as well.

The spare bottles are always a good idea.

#47707 - 08/27/09 11:10 PM Re: Where to Buy White Gas/Propane [Re: quanto_the_mad]
Mark Heyman Offline
old hand

Loc: South Jersey (Pinelands)
At fill stations you "normally" pay by the amount - the increase in weight of your tank. There is no penaly for filling a partialy filled tank. Obviously not true in an exchange.

I have recived several exchanged light tanks. Some Blue Rhino and at least one from Walmart where my last exchange was very full. I almost got a light tanks at Home Depot too, but the assistant let a few customers search through many tanks to find a few that were properly filled.

Car camping: large tanks are they way to go. Get an adapter pole so you can run two or three things - lantern at the top (no hose required) and hoses for a stove and grill. Ive never used a full 20gal tank feeding several families for a few days and keeping a lantern lit from dusk til midnight.

Terrie you might be well served with one of the smaller tanks now available - except that you will need to fill it rather than exchange it.

Edited by Mark Heyman (08/27/09 11:14 PM)

#47714 - 08/28/09 12:45 PM Re: Where to Buy White Gas/Propane [Re: Mark Heyman]
budman Offline
stranger

Loc: UT.
Lived in my van in Moab for 3 years and used a single burner stove with 20 lb. cyclinder. Could get as much as 30 days on a fill. Have a 2 burner that I camp with as I have a small pickup as of now. Went to a RV dealer and bought the fittings and extra long hose as well as a liquid propane quick disconnect. You probably need it right away but I'll be climbing at the Gunks again mid Sept. and you can ck out my setup if you like. Old blue Toy with Utard plates, say hi!

#47715 - 08/28/09 01:18 PM Re: Where to Buy White Gas/Propane [Re: budman]
TerrieM Offline
addict

Loc: Gunks in Summer, Southwest in ...
A Toyota Minivan!? I don't think I'll miss that!(I had a silver '87 for a short while)

Edited by TerrieM (08/28/09 01:18 PM)

#47718 - 08/28/09 03:21 PM Re: Where to Buy White Gas/Propane [Re: TerrieM]
budman Offline
stranger

Loc: UT.
Not quite. 86 Blue Toy PU, Looks beat but runs like a champ. Starting to sound like an auto ad. Will probably hit Lost City when I'm there. See you when I see you!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored