Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 18 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#47860 - 09/10/09 05:37 AM Re: What's your pledge? [Re: alicex4]
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: alicex4
This one's for you Marc, Paglia's nailed it IMO.
Too late for Obama to turn it around?

http://www.salon.com/opinion/paglia/2009/09/09/healthcare/

Maybe, or not. What does this have to do with your original post that bought in to the false Beck-Malkin created controversy about Obama's speech supporting staying in school and working hard?

#47866 - 09/11/09 03:02 AM Re: What's your pledge? [Re: alicex4]
Mark Heyman Offline
old hand

Loc: South Jersey (Pinelands)
Here is somone much closer to nailing it:

http://www.npr.org/templates/rundowns/rundown.php?prgId=13

#47871 - 09/13/09 03:07 AM Re: What's your pledge? [Re: pedestrian]
mworking Offline
old hand

Quote:
That's some seriously lame-o personal invective, mworking. Why don't you go smoke a bowl?

NO, no, no, Ped. When it comes right down to it the only reason to be so against Obama telling school kids to stay in school and work hard there is because of prejudice! Think about it, plenty of other presidents have spoken to kids without such criticism, and no other president, none, has been asked for their speach in advance!

Ok prejudice comes with ignorance, and you really have to be ignorant to believe Fox news propaganda.

Besides I don't smoke.

Edited by mworking (09/13/09 03:21 AM)

#47872 - 09/13/09 10:27 AM Re: What's your pledge? [Re: mworking]
oenophore Online   confused
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land

#47873 - 09/14/09 05:29 AM Re: What's your pledge? [Re: mworking]
Daniel Offline
veteran

Originally Posted By: mworking
When it comes right down to it the only reason to be so against Obama telling school kids to stay in school and work hard there is because of prejudice! Think about it, plenty of other presidents have spoken to kids without such criticism, and no other president, none, has been asked for their speach in advance!

I'm not so sure. No other recent Democratic president has addressed school kids (though I suppose there has been only one other recent Democratic president).

While there may be some portion of the radical right that has a racist motive in opposing Obama, my recollection is that there was also severe Clinton opposition starting from Day 1 that had little to do with his policies.

If Obama were white, might there be somewhat fewer people ranting at him? Perhaps. But I think there would still be considerable numbers doing what they're doing now. There are groups on both sides of the political spectrum who are so ensconced in ideology, so sure they are right, that those who disagree with them cannot be "real" Americans. A corollary would be that if a majority disagree with their positions, they must have been misled or brainwashed, hence the fear of further "indoctrination" by the leader.

I'm willing to accept the prejudice explanation for some portion of the dissenters, but I'm not willing to speculate how widespread it may be absent evidence to do so. And given the vitriol launched at Clinton by some groups that for reasons that lacked any real connection to his policies, I think there's evidence that the reaction is simply a radical expression among true believers of the incredibulity that one's side lost the election.

#47877 - 09/14/09 03:55 PM Re: What's your pledge? [Re: mworking]
pedestrian Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: a heavily fortified bunker!
Originally Posted By: mworking
Besides I don't smoke.

Really? There's nothing worse than an internet troll who doesn't even smoke dope. It's like your main excuse for trollishness has been taken away, along with any of the redeeming, entertaining and comical qualities that potheads are known for.

#47879 - 09/14/09 04:38 PM smoke a bowl? [Re: pedestrian]
Carpal Tunnel

Pedestrian to Mworking: Why don't you go smoke a bowl?

Mworking's reply: Besides I don't smoke.

Pedestrian's reply: Really? There's nothing worse than an internet troll who doesn't even smoke dope. It's like your main excuse for trollishness has been taken away, along with any of the redeeming, entertaining and comical qualities that potheads are known for.

What is to be made of this colloquy? Upon seeing the first of the above quotes, I concluded that these guys knew one another and Pedestrian knew that Mworking smoked a bowl every now and then. But upon seeing the second above quote, I conclude that Pedestrian deems cannabic intoxication an antidote to vexation about an issue. The last above quote seems to confirm my impression.

Now I don't promote either man's point of view of the issue presented before the smoke-a-bowl post. And yes, I've smoked a bowl or two in my past. If the smoke-a-bowl post was a jocular comment, that is one thing; if it were serious advice, it is downright ludicrous.

#47881 - 09/14/09 04:59 PM Re: smoke a bowl? [Re: oenophore]
pedestrian Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: a heavily fortified bunker!
oeno, I think you're reading too much into this. Overanalyzing a bit. Maybe you should... drink some wine wink

#47897 - 09/15/09 01:51 AM Re: smoke a bowl? [Re: pedestrian]
empicard Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: LI, NY
or smoke something.

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

#47906 - 09/15/09 11:05 AM Re: smoke a bowl? [Re: empicard]
Carpal Tunnel

Maybe you should... drink some wine

or smoke something.

Try such a reply at a debating competition.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored