Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 8 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#48159 - 09/25/09 11:40 PM No Peterskill Cleanup/Pamcake Breakfast?
Ralph Offline

We were waiting for the announcement after the meeting last week. This is most disheartening.
Lotsa fun last year in the rain-drizzle with Rob O'Brian leading at Peterskill.
Pamcakes are the best for climbing. Actually, the best breakfast, as ham sammiches are THE best for climbing.

#48595 - 10/13/09 05:45 PM Re: No Peterskill Cleanup/Pamcake Breakfast? [Re: Ralph]
TerrieM Offline
addict

Loc: Gunks in Summer, Southwest in ...
I was wondering about the Peterskill Adopt-A-Crag event too. What a shame if it's not going to occur this year.

If it is too late to plan/organize, may I suggest an informal/personal adopt-a-crag event - to individually take a short span of a road near the Gunks and pick up the discarded crap along the way? I was at the Overlook last week and saw plenty. Even the short bit between the steel bridge and Nears has a little garbage.

Since being at the cabin, I have gotten nearby Clove Rd portions taken care of from some built up stuff, but pretty much every weekend there is something new(mostly beer/soda bottles, cig butts and boxes).

Maybe the 44/55 overlook turnouts on the west side of the ridge, Clove Rd., 44/55 down to 299, and 299 down to MUA????

Shit, even cleaning up IN New Paltz proper, if we could make an impromptu Adopt-A-Crag Gunks Cleanup type of logo people could pin to their shirt while doing so.... Not that it can help with the Minnewaska climbing access so quickly, but as I mentioned in another thread - from being at the Yosemite Facelift, it was quite evident that their park management was well aware of the volunteer work being done - by climbers.

#48634 - 10/14/09 12:11 PM Re: No Peterskill Cleanup/Pamcake Breakfast? [Re: TerrieM]
RangerRob Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ulster County, NY
The adopt a highway program was one thing I had suggested at some of the initial GCC meeting way back when. Seems a great way to get your organizations name out there for everyone to see. I think they should adopt 44/55 between Park Lane and Laurel Lane specifically. he he

#48662 - 10/15/09 03:28 AM Re: No Peterskill Cleanup/Pamcake Breakfast? [Re: RangerRob]
Jannette Offline

Cliffmama
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Gardiner, NY
The GCC did look into the adopt-a-highway program, even cleaned a section of 44/55 in preparation for applying for it. As I remember (it wasn't me who looked into the paperwork), the paperwork was a nightmare and required the organization to have some sort of insurance to be involved (which we don't have). Unfortunate that they make it so difficult to participate in the program.

Jannette

#48665 - 10/15/09 03:51 AM Re: No Peterskill Cleanup/Pamcake Breakfast? [Re: Jannette]
Jannette Offline

Cliffmama
Pooh-Bah

Hi Terrie,
Thanks for your suggestions - this year it has been difficult to find enough time, there is just too much going on this month to plan for adopt-a-crag. The GCC has to focus on getting the word out about the Minnewaska Draft Master Plan, and planning the Big Benefit Soiree on Nov 7th. We've been working our butts off.

If you'd like to help organize a clean-up, that would be fantastic - we need all the help we can get. It would involve contacting whomever owns the land we're cleaning, putting together announcements and flyers, distributing flyers, posting the announcements on various bulletin boards and event calendars, I would send out the announcements to the mailing list and post on our website & facebook page, and then we'd have to gather up supplies needed to do the cleanup. If you'd like to volunteer to help with this, why don't you come to this weekend's GCC meeting on Saturday night at Chris Moratz's house? If you need a ride, maybe we can get someone to pick you up.

If anyone has ideas and would like to help out, please volunteer! Everyone on the GCC team is really busy with our lives and trying to scrape together any spare time we can to keep on top of things.

Jannette

#48668 - 10/15/09 04:14 AM Re: No Peterskill Cleanup/Pamcake Breakfast? [Re: Jannette]
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Jannette
The GCC did look into the adopt-a-highway program, even cleaned a section of 44/55 in preparation for applying for it. As I remember (it wasn't me who looked into the paperwork), the paperwork was a nightmare and required the organization to have some sort of insurance to be involved (which we don't have). Unfortunate that they make it so difficult to participate in the program.

Why does it seem that there's always some sort of excuse about why the GCC doesn't do something?

#48671 - 10/15/09 05:14 AM Re: No Peterskill Cleanup/Pamcake Breakfast? [Re: MarcC]
Jannette Offline

Cliffmama
Pooh-Bah

Why does it seem like there's always some sort of excuse why people don't volunteer to participate?

#48684 - 10/15/09 05:17 PM Re: No Peterskill Cleanup/Pamcake Breakfast? [Re: Jannette]
TerrieM Offline
addict

Loc: Gunks in Summer, Southwest in ...
Jannette -

Thanks for taking the time to reply specifically and so thoroughly. I can understand how there is only so much time for items to be worked on, and that GCC is indeed managing two really big projects in the 2 you referred to.

As for formal organization of a hwy clean-up, I really think it's not possible for me to pull it off efficiently right now because of living in a no phone/internet location with no car. I am at the base of Herdie Gerdie right now, racing against my laptop battery's life, and go to town once or twice a week to recharge it and the cel phone.

I am hoping that next year I will be in a better position...maybe up here with a car....and then watch out, for I will be on it with the meetings and such.

So - for me, I will have to make due with an informal cleaning up. It's starting to snow, but if it doesn't pick up quickly, I will head down to the Overlook after I sign off, and do a trash bag full. I urge others to do the same. Ad Ken Yeager said at the Yosemite Facelift(5 day clean-up held a few weeks ago, and the largest Adopt-a-Crag event for several years now) "Let's make EVERY day a Facelift Day!"(meaning we can develop the routine which some climbers already do - to keep a trash bag with us and pick up the litter in our recreational spots, trailhead areas and nearby roadways) as we go about our every day).

#48685 - 10/15/09 05:40 PM Re: No Peterskill Cleanup/Pamcake Breakfast? [Re: MarcC]
quanto_the_mad Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: brooklyn
Originally Posted By: MarcC
Originally Posted By: Jannette

Why does it seem that there's always some sort of excuse about why the GCC doesn't do something?

Not having insurance, which is required by the DOT, seems to be a legitimate obstacle to participation.

#48686 - 10/15/09 06:12 PM Re: No Peterskill Cleanup/Pamcake Breakfast? [Re: quanto_the_mad]
oenophore Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land
So, in this case, volunteering is costly, isn't it? At least one knows in advance that a good deed shall not go unpunished.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Jannette, phlan, webmaster 
Sponsored