Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 8 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#48159 - 09/25/09 11:40 PM No Peterskill Cleanup/Pamcake Breakfast?
Ralph Offline

We were waiting for the announcement after the meeting last week. This is most disheartening.
Lotsa fun last year in the rain-drizzle with Rob O'Brian leading at Peterskill.
Pamcakes are the best for climbing. Actually, the best breakfast, as ham sammiches are THE best for climbing.

#48595 - 10/13/09 05:45 PM Re: No Peterskill Cleanup/Pamcake Breakfast? [Re: Ralph]
TerrieM Offline
addict

Loc: Gunks in Summer, Southwest in ...
I was wondering about the Peterskill Adopt-A-Crag event too. What a shame if it's not going to occur this year.

If it is too late to plan/organize, may I suggest an informal/personal adopt-a-crag event - to individually take a short span of a road near the Gunks and pick up the discarded crap along the way? I was at the Overlook last week and saw plenty. Even the short bit between the steel bridge and Nears has a little garbage.

Since being at the cabin, I have gotten nearby Clove Rd portions taken care of from some built up stuff, but pretty much every weekend there is something new(mostly beer/soda bottles, cig butts and boxes).

Maybe the 44/55 overlook turnouts on the west side of the ridge, Clove Rd., 44/55 down to 299, and 299 down to MUA????

Shit, even cleaning up IN New Paltz proper, if we could make an impromptu Adopt-A-Crag Gunks Cleanup type of logo people could pin to their shirt while doing so.... Not that it can help with the Minnewaska climbing access so quickly, but as I mentioned in another thread - from being at the Yosemite Facelift, it was quite evident that their park management was well aware of the volunteer work being done - by climbers.

#48634 - 10/14/09 12:11 PM Re: No Peterskill Cleanup/Pamcake Breakfast? [Re: TerrieM]
RangerRob Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ulster County, NY
The adopt a highway program was one thing I had suggested at some of the initial GCC meeting way back when. Seems a great way to get your organizations name out there for everyone to see. I think they should adopt 44/55 between Park Lane and Laurel Lane specifically. he he

#48662 - 10/15/09 03:28 AM Re: No Peterskill Cleanup/Pamcake Breakfast? [Re: RangerRob]
Jannette Offline

Cliffmama
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Gardiner, NY
The GCC did look into the adopt-a-highway program, even cleaned a section of 44/55 in preparation for applying for it. As I remember (it wasn't me who looked into the paperwork), the paperwork was a nightmare and required the organization to have some sort of insurance to be involved (which we don't have). Unfortunate that they make it so difficult to participate in the program.

Jannette

#48665 - 10/15/09 03:51 AM Re: No Peterskill Cleanup/Pamcake Breakfast? [Re: Jannette]
Jannette Offline

Cliffmama
Pooh-Bah

Hi Terrie,
Thanks for your suggestions - this year it has been difficult to find enough time, there is just too much going on this month to plan for adopt-a-crag. The GCC has to focus on getting the word out about the Minnewaska Draft Master Plan, and planning the Big Benefit Soiree on Nov 7th. We've been working our butts off.

If you'd like to help organize a clean-up, that would be fantastic - we need all the help we can get. It would involve contacting whomever owns the land we're cleaning, putting together announcements and flyers, distributing flyers, posting the announcements on various bulletin boards and event calendars, I would send out the announcements to the mailing list and post on our website & facebook page, and then we'd have to gather up supplies needed to do the cleanup. If you'd like to volunteer to help with this, why don't you come to this weekend's GCC meeting on Saturday night at Chris Moratz's house? If you need a ride, maybe we can get someone to pick you up.

If anyone has ideas and would like to help out, please volunteer! Everyone on the GCC team is really busy with our lives and trying to scrape together any spare time we can to keep on top of things.

Jannette

#48668 - 10/15/09 04:14 AM Re: No Peterskill Cleanup/Pamcake Breakfast? [Re: Jannette]
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Jannette
The GCC did look into the adopt-a-highway program, even cleaned a section of 44/55 in preparation for applying for it. As I remember (it wasn't me who looked into the paperwork), the paperwork was a nightmare and required the organization to have some sort of insurance to be involved (which we don't have). Unfortunate that they make it so difficult to participate in the program.

Why does it seem that there's always some sort of excuse about why the GCC doesn't do something?

#48671 - 10/15/09 05:14 AM Re: No Peterskill Cleanup/Pamcake Breakfast? [Re: MarcC]
Jannette Offline

Cliffmama
Pooh-Bah

Why does it seem like there's always some sort of excuse why people don't volunteer to participate?

#48684 - 10/15/09 05:17 PM Re: No Peterskill Cleanup/Pamcake Breakfast? [Re: Jannette]
TerrieM Offline
addict

Jannette -

Thanks for taking the time to reply specifically and so thoroughly. I can understand how there is only so much time for items to be worked on, and that GCC is indeed managing two really big projects in the 2 you referred to.

As for formal organization of a hwy clean-up, I really think it's not possible for me to pull it off efficiently right now because of living in a no phone/internet location with no car. I am at the base of Herdie Gerdie right now, racing against my laptop battery's life, and go to town once or twice a week to recharge it and the cel phone.

I am hoping that next year I will be in a better position...maybe up here with a car....and then watch out, for I will be on it with the meetings and such.

So - for me, I will have to make due with an informal cleaning up. It's starting to snow, but if it doesn't pick up quickly, I will head down to the Overlook after I sign off, and do a trash bag full. I urge others to do the same. Ad Ken Yeager said at the Yosemite Facelift(5 day clean-up held a few weeks ago, and the largest Adopt-a-Crag event for several years now) "Let's make EVERY day a Facelift Day!"(meaning we can develop the routine which some climbers already do - to keep a trash bag with us and pick up the litter in our recreational spots, trailhead areas and nearby roadways) as we go about our every day).

#48685 - 10/15/09 05:40 PM Re: No Peterskill Cleanup/Pamcake Breakfast? [Re: MarcC]
quanto_the_mad Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: brooklyn
Originally Posted By: MarcC
Originally Posted By: Jannette

Why does it seem that there's always some sort of excuse about why the GCC doesn't do something?

Not having insurance, which is required by the DOT, seems to be a legitimate obstacle to participation.

#48686 - 10/15/09 06:12 PM Re: No Peterskill Cleanup/Pamcake Breakfast? [Re: quanto_the_mad]
oenophore Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land
So, in this case, volunteering is costly, isn't it? At least one knows in advance that a good deed shall not go unpunished.

#48687 - 10/15/09 06:37 PM Re: No Peterskill Cleanup/Pamcake Breakfast? [Re: oenophore]
quanto_the_mad Offline
Carpal Tunnel

For a business that already has insurance coverage, that can get employees to volunteer on their own time, it's free advertising.

For the GCC? To have to buy insurance for the two year commitment... if the GCC were flush with funds, maybe. But assuming limited funds, I would think that the money (and manpower) be better spent on other goals such as the waterworks project. Maybe a sign would engender good will towards the GCC and increased donations. Maybe not, I have no idea what the CBA results would show.

Really, there's nothing stopping anyone from forming a group on their own and raising funds to do the work.

#48695 - 10/15/09 09:15 PM Re: No Peterskill Cleanup/Pamcake Breakfast? [Re: quanto_the_mad]
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Some lunchtime googling revealed that virtually all of the 49 states that have an Adopt-a-highway program require liability insurance. So what do volunteer organizations do? They contract out the actual highway clean-up work to landscaping companies, then hold a fund-raising party of some sort to pay the landscaper.

Last weekend, we had this event. Yes, it cost to participate and it wasn't directly a fund raiser, but it certainly raised the visibility of the SLCA:

Quote:
Craggin' Classic 2009
Back to events
When: Oct 9, 2009 - Oct 11, 2009

Where: Salt Lake City, UT

This year's annual AAC Craggin Classic will be held in Salt Lake City, UT, October 9-11th.

The venue will be located in the beautiful Big Cottonwood canyon where there's cool camping and hundreds of climbing routes. With the help of the Salt Lake Climber's Coalition and the strong score of local climbers, this year's event promises to be bigger, better and more productive than ever before.

Craggin'Classic SLC schedule

Friday, October 9th

3-6pm-Registration open, vendor venue open

6-7pm-Happy Hour with kegs and Redwood Creek wine tasting

7pm-Petzl and Mountain Khaki sponsored Tandoor Grill Dinner served at Spruces by SLCA members and Petzl athletes

8pm-Introductions by AAC and SLCA. Slideshows follow: Steve House, Andrew Burr and Brian Smoot

3pm-midnight-Located in the Log Cabin Hooka Lounge: Highland Games, Open Mike DJ, Poker Championships (this will run all weekend with the champions being announced on Sunday afternoon).

Saturday, October 10th

8-9-Tulie Bakery breakfast sponsored by The North Face

9-5-CLIMBING-Join us for Sessions with the Pros, a fun day at the SLC crags with renowned professional climbers Lynn Hill, Steve House, Cedar Wright, Caroline George, Jasmine Canton, Kate Rutherford, Mikey Shaefer and Jim Donini. The pros will host a handful of eclectic sessions sure to boost your skills, including Sport Climbing for Boulderers, Trad Climbing for Sport Climbers, Bouldering for Weaklings, Ice Climbing for Climbers Who Are Not Old Or Out Of Shape and Donini's Old Man's Guide To Climbing 5.12 (unofficially sponsored by the AARP). There will also be Locals Only Tours led by an all-star cast of SLC underground super locals who know every nook, cranny and crimp in the Wasatch (ever wonder where those secret spots, pimper bouldering circuits, five-star routes and no-star routes are in the canyons? Follow the locs, they know).

4-6 Yoga

5pm-Vendor venue open, Booth Happy hour

5-9-Silent Auction

5-9 AAC Taco Cart Abierto

Black Diamond Party

Live music by Black Diamond's own Use As Is and Salt Lake City's Tolchock Trio.

Sunday, October 11

9-4 AAC's N. Rockies Section sponsored breakfast and Service Project Day with SLCA

7-11 Film Festival and Billiard Championships at Brewvies

Also, the SLCA is pursuing a paid membership program:
Quote:
Membership

For the past seven years, the Salt Lake Climbers' Alliance has been Northern Utah's leading force in sustaining local climbing resources. To help the SLCA continue and expand its work to promote climbing opportunities, preserve local access and encourage stewardship of the environment, please consider becoming a supporting member.

What has the SLCA done for Salt Lake's climbing community since 2002?

* Served as advocate for local climbers with land managers and other stake holders
* In partnership with the American Safe Climbing Association we have helped replace old, worn-out bolts throughout the Wasatch
* Annual SLCA Days: community-building comps, parties and fundraisers
* Adopt-a-Crag Days:
o American Fork Canyon: Division Wall, the Membrane and the Hell Cave trail and crag improvements
o Little Cottonwood Canyon: trail mapping and plant survey, trash clean-up, bouldering area improvement, bridge to The Great White Icicle, new trail to the Egg and graffiti removal throughout the canyon
o Ferguson Canyon: trail and crag improvement
o Big Cottonwood Canyon: Slips Crag restoration and trail improvement
o Pete's Rock: clean-up and graffiti removal
o Maple Canyon: Pipe Dream cave improvement, bridge to Pipeline Wall
* Seasonal installation of toilets in Joe's Valley

Why is the SLCA pursuing a paid membership program?

* To increase the number and scope of events, projects, re-bolting, communications, networking and long-term planning for trails and other access issues.
* To provide needed resources to address the many land management challenges facing our climbing areas.
* If the Salt Lake Climbers' Alliance is transformed into a group with formal membership, climbers will have a much stronger voice in issues that impact climbing access.

Please consider becoming a member of the Salt Lake Climbers' Alliance today. It only takes a few minutes and you'll become instrumental in supporting climbing access and opportunities in the Salt Lake Valley and beyond.

Annual Membership Fee: $25.00 (The SLCA is a 501 (c)(3) nonprofit organization. Your entire donation is tax deductible.)

#48700 - 10/15/09 10:37 PM Re: No Peterskill Cleanup/Pamcake Breakfast? [Re: MarcC]
quanto_the_mad Offline
Carpal Tunnel

In that case, there's really no volunteering, is there? And I thought that was the point.

#48701 - 10/15/09 10:51 PM Re: No Peterskill Cleanup/Pamcake Breakfast? [Re: quanto_the_mad]
oenophore Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Don't you think that roadside cleanup is best done by convicts?

#48702 - 10/15/09 10:52 PM Re: No Peterskill Cleanup/Pamcake Breakfast? [Re: quanto_the_mad]
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

It all depends on the insurance situation as to how viable it is to have actual volunteers doing the clean up. For a business and even many organizations, including non-profits, it's not an issue. California requires a minimum of $3M in liability coverage in order to obtain the highway work permit.
I only know what I found via the oracle of google.

Arguably, if the GCC is sponsoring things like Adopt-a-crag, trail crews, chalk cleanups, etc., then they probably should have liability insurance. Without it, depending on how the GCC incorporated itself, a volunteer who gets their leg crushed on a GCC-sponsored trail crew, might be able to successfully sue the individual board members to recover medical costs.

#48711 - 10/16/09 12:25 AM Re: No Peterskill Cleanup/Pamcake Breakfast? [Re: MarcC]
RangerRob Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ulster County, NY
Oeno, they prefer to be called inmates..not convicts. Let's be politically correct here, okay?

Hey maybe instead of doing boulder chalk cleanups every year, we could concentrate our efforts on teaching boulderers not to slather chalk on holds with toothbrushes instead. Is it really necessary to dip your toothbrush into your loose chalkbag, and then rub it all over each hold of the problem obssesively for 10 minutes before you try to send? C'mon...a little restraint on the chalk addiction can go a long way man.

RR

#48717 - 10/16/09 01:36 AM Re: No Peterskill Cleanup/Pamcake Breakfast? [Re: RangerRob]
Ralph Offline

Sorry Rob. No boulder cleanup this year.
The young fella who did the grunt work for that event has moved to greener pastures (or pebbles). Lucander says his own involvement was limited to issuing communiques and being liaison to the Preserve for the event.

#48718 - 10/16/09 01:42 AM Re: No Peterskill Cleanup/Pamcake Breakfast? [Re: RangerRob]
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: RangerRob
Hey maybe instead of doing boulder chalk cleanups every year, we could concentrate our efforts on teaching boulderers not to slather chalk on holds with toothbrushes instead.

Exactly. What's the point of doing an annual clean-up of the same holds on the same pebbles, year after year?

#48722 - 10/16/09 03:28 AM Re: No Peterskill Cleanup/Pamcake Breakfast? [Re: MarcC]
Jannette Offline

Cliffmama
Pooh-Bah

Terrie, your dedication to helping the climbing environment and the climbing community is much appreciated. I always see you working hard on the trail crew and at cleanups and other volunteer events. You set a very good example and I look forward to your participation whenever you can manage it. Major kudos to you.
I encourage everyone to give Terrie virtual hugs and handshakes for her years of work for the climbing community.

Jannette

#48726 - 10/16/09 10:24 AM Re: No Peterskill Cleanup/Pamcake Breakfast? [Re: RangerRob]
oenophore Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Oeno, they prefer to be called inmates..not convicts. Let's be politically correct here, okay?

Bullshit! One is an inmate because of conviction of a crime -- hence a convict. Read the Thirteenth Amendment to the US Constitution and find that the slavery prohibition makes an exception for convicts.

(Apologies to other posters for our digression.)

#48807 - 10/19/09 05:03 PM Re: No Peterskill Cleanup/Pamcake Breakfast? [Re: oenophore]
TerrieM Offline
addict

Yesterday I walked the Clove Valley Rd. south from the Coxing Kill parking lot to the first bridge one comes to(and back), and here is the trash pick up.

On such a short stretch of road that most would consider 'clean,' it's easy to imagine the amounts one can clean up on more busy parts.

#48817 - 10/19/09 08:30 PM Re: No Peterskill Cleanup/Pamcake Breakfast? [Re: TerrieM]
Mike Rawdon Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Poughkeepsie
Terrie, I hope you had your liability insurance coverage before picking that trash up.

What's that you say? You don't carry a $10 million indemnity policy? Shame on you. Go put the trash back.

(Anyone else think it's bizarre that the state has a higher hurdle for picking up trash along Rt 44/55 than they do for climbing at PK??)

#48823 - 10/19/09 09:37 PM Re: No Peterskill Cleanup/Pamcake Breakfast? [Re: Mike Rawdon]
tradjunkie Offline
enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Mike Rawdon
Terrie, I hope you had your liability insurance coverage before picking that trash up.

What's that you say? You don't carry a $10 million indemnity policy? Shame on you. Go put the trash back.

(Anyone else think it's bizarre that the state has a higher hurdle for picking up trash along Rt 44/55 than they do for climbing at PK??)

Dear Citizen Rawdon:
Thank you for bringing this regulatory oversight to our attention. We have remedied this pursuant to NYS Regulatory Fiat #2009-OMG-YMBKM-001. For your convenience, we have attached the relevant public service bulletin below.

PUBLIC SERVICE BULLETIN
Date: 19 October, 2009
Effective immediately, the following information is required to climb at the newly expanded Peter's Kill and Dickie Barre Area. Please send clear photocopies of the following at least seven (7) days in advance of your planned climbing date to allow sufficient time for processing and review.
- A Certificate of Insurance from your insurance carrier. This Liability Insurance must have a minimum of ten million ($10,000,000) per claim applicable to rock climbing; walking; knot tying; lunch eating; and driving, parking, riding in, entering, or exiting a motor vehicle.
- A notarized resume documenting and describing all technical rock climbing anchors built within the last twelve (12) months. This resume should enumerate information, for each anchor, on type, size, and brand of equipment used, as well as estimated strengths of natural and in-situ features and force applied by the anchor, location of the anchor (climb, pitch, and general location relative to standard belay stance) and weight of climbers using the anchor (if any). Photographs of the anchors will not be considered acceptable substitutes of these details. Also note that, as ice climbing is not a regulated activity within OPRHP, anchors used for ice climbing will not be considered.

We look forward to your visit.

Sincerely,
Beau R. Cratt
Assistant Administrator for Paperwork and Regulation
Minnewaska State Park Preserve

#48893 - 10/22/09 01:31 PM Re: No Peterskill Cleanup/Pamcake Breakfast? [Re: oenophore]
Fraser Offline
old hand

Loc: New Canaan, CT
Newsflash - we are trying to get this back on the calendar later in the year thanks to our new and improved BOD!!!

As soon as Marc shows up.

Just kidding about the Marc part, stay tuned.

#48896 - 10/22/09 02:31 PM Re: No Peterskill Cleanup/Pamcake Breakfast? [Re: Fraser]
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Fraser
Just kidding about the Marc part, stay tuned.

I would hope so!
Gunks = 2400 miles
Little Cottonwood Canyon, City of Rocks,Maple Canyon,Indian Creek, Zion, Tetons, Red Rock = 10 minutes to sub-6hr drive.
Do the math.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Jannette, phlan, webmaster 
Sponsored