Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 11 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#4866 - 06/17/02 07:44 AM Ogawayama Japan
tokyo bill Offline
old hand

Loc: Tokyo
I've put together a couple of pages on an area called Ogawayama here in Japan. Not really a TR, I guess, since the pics are from various different trips up there, at different times of year. But whatever....

Here's the site address (clickable, unless I've screwed it up somehow):

www.tokyo_bill.homestead.com/tokyocragsiii.html

Hope you like.

#4867 - 06/17/02 05:12 PM Re: Ogawayama Japan [Re: tokyo bill]
alicex4 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Nice pics Bill. Was this the crag that was featured in either Climbing or Rock N Ice back in 1996?

#4868 - 06/17/02 07:16 PM Re: Ogawayama Japan [Re: alicex4]
Chas Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Flagstaff
Hey, you are making me homesick, (but isn't it the rainy season).

Actually I may be stopping off on the way to Korea for a conferance at the end of the summer. If I go would you want to go climbing for a day or so.

#4869 - 06/18/02 03:32 AM Re: Ogawayama Japan [Re: Chas]
tokyo bill Offline
old hand

Chas -

Absolutely let's go climbing! I got you covered for gear, other than shoes and a harness (and a place to stay, if you don't mind children and dogs).

I'll be in the States July 6 through 27, but other than that, I'll be here and happy to climb. Let me know your schedule, when it firms up, and we'll work something out.

(And yes, rainy season just started. Nonetheless, we sneak in days at Makuiwa/Yugawara (just avoid the mamushi and the millipedes!), and head up to Ogawayama when the weather looks safe.)

Alicex4 -

I got a late start climbing, and sadly my magazine collection doesn't go back that far. Ogawayama could be the one you're thinking of, though - it's considered one of Japan's premier areas.

Want to hitch a ride with Chas and come climbin'?

Everybody -

Speaking of my trip to the States, by the way, I'll probably be climbing at the gunks Thursday and Friday, July 11 and 12. Anybody gonna be around? Maybe beers at the Otter or whatever? I've never been there, but I figure if I just look for lots of people arguing about bolting ethics and wearing thongs, I should find it with no trouble!

Edited by tokyo bill (06/18/02 03:38 AM)

#4870 - 06/18/02 01:18 PM Re: Ogawayama Japan [Re: tokyo bill]
Chas Offline
Pooh-Bah

I think the article you were talking about was about Jogasaki which is a climbing area SE of Tokyo which is a winter beachfront climbing area. The other region that Tokyo Bill is talking about (Makawiya/Yugawara) is about half way between Tokyo and the town of Jogasaki in a place called Yugawara. Its located in a valley with nice orange groves (now don't tell me that you pick the oranges Bill, thats something I would never do; ok my climbing partner Toshi would pick them and then stuff them into my pack so I could carry them :-) ). The climbing at Yugawara is mainly bolted sports routes, some slabby, some hard, well protected slabs such as routes like Izu Danser (an .11d slab), but there are some fun trad routes such as #1 Route that Tokyo Bill previously described. Ogayama is a location located SW of Tokyo (inland a bit and reached by taking a train to a town (Chino) north of the Minami Arapusu (Southern Japanese Alps).

In Japan there are a ton of climbing areas, many sport, some trad, and a lot of alpine stuff.

#4871 - 06/19/02 02:11 AM Re: Ogawayama Japan [Re: Chas]
tokyo bill Offline
old hand

Exactly!

Pictures of Makuiwa/Yugawara here:

www.tokyo_bill.homestead.com/tokyocrags.html

Pictures of Jogasaki here:

www.tokyo_bill.homestead.com/tokyocrags2.html

Chas - I haven't ever picked the oranges (although I'm always tempted), but a nice old woman sells big bags for 200 yen during the season, right at the foot of the approach trail. Scrumptious!

(She's always set up right by the log cabin where the bathrooms are - did those exist when you were here?).

#4872 - 06/19/02 03:38 PM Re: Ogawayama Japan [Re: tokyo bill]
Chas Offline
Pooh-Bah

Are you talking about at the temple where the bus stops?

#4873 - 06/20/02 02:28 AM Re: Ogawayama Japan [Re: Chas]
tokyo bill Offline
old hand

No, it's further up than that. Literally a 75 meter walk straight downhill from Tentomushi Rock ("Ladybug Rock", which you'll remember is the first chunk of rock that you come to as you walk in - the one where all the route names are Beatles songs). The building looked pretty much brand new when I first started climbing there in 1998.

They've also landscaped, and added more parking and some park type facilities. The plum blossom festival and family camping, plus the climbers, apparently add a fair chunk of change to the local revenues, and they seem to be trying to return the favor. It's actually not too badly done.

Depending on how many years it's been since you were last here, you might be a bit surprised.

#4874 - 06/20/02 12:03 PM Re: Ogawayama Japan [Re: tokyo bill]
chrisinvermont Offline

Bill,

If you keep this discussion going I am going to end up back in Japan! Next time I will make sure I have enough time to travel up to Ogawayama, it looks like a good time. Did you decide on a trip this summer, or just the couple of days at the Gunks?

Chris

#4875 - 06/20/02 03:22 PM Re: Ogawayama Japan [Re: tokyo bill]
Chas Offline
Pooh-Bah

The bathrooms were fairly new. I was thinking about down by the bus station and not up in the climbing area itself. Yeah they were constructed sometime between May 1996 and Oct 1996.

Moderator:  andrew, Mike Rawdon 
Sponsored