Shout Box

Who's Online
2 registered (oenophore, Rickster), 11 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#4936 - 06/24/02 12:45 PM Avalanche Pass - Daks
Layback Offline
old hand

Loc: Monroe, WA
Does anyone know if ay of the slides on Mt. Colden in Avalanche Pass (Adirondacks) make nice ice climbs? I was just there this weekend backpacking; they looked very impressive.

#4937 - 06/24/02 12:47 PM Re: Avalanche Pass - Daks [Re: Layback]
strat Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I was back in there in February and climbed Adirondike and the Avalanche Mountain Gulley -similar difficulty as well as an un-named grade 3 flow. There is a TON of ice back there, there are a few new, hard and mixed routes that I have heard of back there that aren't in the guide book yet.

It is a STELLAR place to go ice climbing.

#4938 - 06/24/02 02:54 PM Re: Avalanche Pass - Daks [Re: strat]
Anonymous
Unregistered

The Trap Dyke can make for a nice, alpine-style, grade 2 ice climb if it's not filled up with snow. Mellor's guidebook lists three or four other ice routes in the pass, mostly grade 3-4 if I remember correctly, although I'm not sure how reliable they are.

#4939 - 06/24/02 09:05 PM Re: Avalanche Pass - Daks
Layback Offline
old hand

Good stuff guys. Thanks for the beta. I'll be back there for sure.

#4940 - 06/24/02 11:51 PM Re: Avalanche Pass - Daks [Re: Layback]
Jim Lawyer Offline

Loc: Pompey, NY
In my opinion, some of the most impressive ice climbing in the Adirondacks is located at Avalanche Lake. I've attached an image showing some of it.

In the upper left is the Matrix wall, showing the prominent lines of Matrix and Gold Rush. There are a couple other lines on this wall as well.

In the upper middle are a number of long R/X rated climbs, including "A Usable Amount" on the right. The first ascent involved the use of 300' ropes to avoid a hazardous belay.

The upper right shows one of the ice climbs located on the wall right of the rock route named "3D" (in the guidebook). There are a number of other ice climbs on this wall as well.

The lower image shows the Matrix wall (picture taken from across the lake from the top of Scott DeCapio's route). On the right you can see the drips that were connected by Alex Lowe.

Attachments
49276-avalanche9.jpg (135 downloads)

#4941 - 06/25/02 12:53 PM Re: Avalanche Pass - Daks [Re: Jim Lawyer]
Layback Offline
old hand

I have four words for you: Is it December yet?

Great pics!

Moderator:  andrew, Mike Rawdon 
Sponsored